Electrician question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrician question

I'm doing an interlock kit for the generator and will need to add a main switch to this panel.. I assume I can buy a new faceplate w cutout and add the main up top.
    My main is about 200ft uphill from the house on the pole so I don't want to do it up there.

Is this the correct kit ?

Or this
    Attached Files
    Last edited by kingranch; 02-25-2021, 10:54 AM.

There is no way to do it the way you are thinking. You can install a 200a two pole breaker in a regular breaker slot and take your feeder wires there, assuming your wire is long enough. I’ve never installed an interlock kit, so I’m not sure it will even fit that way. Honestly, you may need a new panel. Your best bet is to hire an actual electrician.

Comment

What is the brand and model number of the panel?

Comment

What size main are you trying to add into this panel? You may have to change out the entire panel to bolt on a new main to the internals.

Comment

200 i believe

Comment

Some residential load centers can be retrofitted with a main breaker but you would need to know your specific panel board model number.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

That appears to be a cutler hammer ch panel.
              Judging by the dead front it doesn’t appear you can add a main. You would need the catalog number to know for sure.
              You also can’t put in a 200 amp breaker to feed it. 125 amp will be the largest that panel will accept.
              You could add a 200 amp double pole double throw switch before the panel...

Comment

look into a generlink. check with your power first. [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebOYuQgoPwY"]GenerLink Transfer Switch with AutoStart Generator and Load Control - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                  Some residential load centers can be retrofitted with a main breaker but you would need to know your specific panel board model number.

Good to know. I didn’t know they made retro-fit kits. I would have assumed that the guts would have to be swapped out. I don’t deal with residential much, mostly commercial and industrial, but it’s always good to learn something new.

Comment

I would suggest you consult a licensed electrician based on the questions being asked.

That is not intended to be a knock, just wanna make sure you stay safe.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                      I would suggest you consult a licensed electrician based on the questions being asked.

Oh trust me I am.. I have wired up many things in my time did almost my entire shop with 240 power... but I am not going to tackle this..I want to have everything ready to swap for the electrician and have it done by code so when I sell theres no issue .

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post

Quite a few of us on this forum...

Comment

Originally posted by Bowlife View Post
                          Good to know. I didn’t know they made retro-fit kits. I would have assumed that the guts would have to be swapped out. I don’t deal with residential much, mostly commercial and industrial, but it’s always good to learn something new.

I am primarily commercial as well but I installed (2) load centers in my house and one of them I had to buy a kit for it to add a main breaker. It was a Square D load center and was very easy to do.

Comment

Remove the dead front and send a picture. I don’t believe that panel can accept a main breaker. It looks like it’s main lug only.

Comment

Are you wanting an automatic transfer on power loss? I have thought about installing a genset at my own home, but the ones I have been looking at come with an ATS. Maybe you can install a double throw switch on your incoming feeders, that way it you have to throw the switch to "utility" or "generator" but it can never be tied together.

Comment

Working...
                              X