No announcement yet.

What about eggs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

when i eat fried eggs i cut away and eat the white first, then eat the yolk separately. the yolk alone is great, but throw a bite of thick cut bacon or pan sausage on top.....mmmmm

my wife loves watching me shovel a whole yolk into my mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
      I also appreciate the flavor and texture of raw eggs. I enjoy them as an emulsifier in salad dressings (like Caesar dressing, but there are many others). However, more recently, a local restaurant/bar served a Steak Tartare appetizer that was out of this world! Beef tenderloin--finely chopped, not ground--was formed into a patty or disk (thick, like a hockey puck), a small dimple is pressed into the center, and in that dimple they placed a raw egg yolk. That egg yolk, when broken to run over the beef, created a silkiness and richness that I did not expect to like as well as I did. Have been making it this way ever since!

More recently, I came across an epicurean article about salt-cured yolks. You pour a bunch of kosher salt in a storage container, place an egg yolk in the center so that it is completely covered by salt, and let it cure for about three weeks. When you take it out, it is firm and can be grated like a truffle and used to add a kick of concentrated umami to salads, vegetables, sauces (chimichurri!), or anything else that strikes your fancy.

Has anyone else heard of or tried this?

I don't mean this negatively at all, but your taste are much more refined than mine. Glad you enjoy it, but don't think it would be for me

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
        I also appreciate the flavor and texture of raw eggs. I enjoy them as an emulsifier in salad dressings (like Caesar dressing, but there are many others). However, more recently, a local restaurant/bar served a Steak Tartare appetizer that was out of this world! Beef tenderloin--finely chopped, not ground--was formed into a patty or disk (thick, like a hockey puck), a small dimple is pressed into the center, and in that dimple they placed a raw egg yolk. That egg yolk, when broken to run over the beef, created a silkiness and richness that I did not expect to like as well as I did. Have been making it this way ever since!

More recently, I came across an epicurean article about salt-cured yolks. You pour a bunch of kosher salt in a storage container, place an egg yolk in the center so that it is completely covered by salt, and let it cure for about three weeks. When you take it out, it is firm and can be grated like a truffle and used to add a kick of concentrated umami to salads, vegetables, sauces (chimichurri!), or anything else that strikes your fancy.

Has anyone else heard of or tried this?
        That sounds awesome... gonna have to try that with my quails eggs this year.

Comment

Originally posted by sir shovelhands View Post
          Well now I have to try this.
          Let me look for the instructions. I’m fairly certain I don’t add anything to the beef except salt and pepper (It’s a personal thing with me. I refuse to befoul a fine cut of beef with anything that distracts from the beef taste (extra seasonings, marinades, sauces), however, there other fairly traditional “fixin’s” that are typically served alongside the Tartare—capers come to mind.

Anyway, I’ll see what I’ve got in the way of notes or images, then PM you with them.

Comment

Originally posted by bullhead44 View Post
            I don't mean this negatively at all, but your taste are much more refined than mine. Glad you enjoy it, but don't think it would be for me
            This is only because you haven’t tried it yet!

Look at it this way: Say you by a lb of ground beef to make hamburgers. You’ve got your ground beef in a bowl, you’ve broken it up, then you add your salt & pepper and mix it up. Now, tell me the truth, haven’t you ever taken a pinch of that beef and popped it in your mouth? Mmm...and it’s so delicious? Steak (or Beef) Tartare is the same thing, only it’s made with a cut of beef that doesn’t come from scraps.

I hope you decide to try it sometime and, if you do, I hope you’ll tell me what you think.

Comment

sunny side up on top of a Med rare ribeye

Comment

We have 15 chickens so we have eggs running out our rears, I like them best over easy, we also boil a lot of eggs, they work great for snacks or when you are in a hurry in the morning for breakfast, I like 2-3 boiled with a sliced up tomato for breakfast, healthy and fast.

Comment

Sunny side up!

Comment

Originally posted by dphillips62 View Post
                    sunny side up on top of a Med rare ribeye
                    I love this idea, AND I happen to have a couple of ribeyes in the freezer!

Comment

Working...
                    X