80s Kids....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

80s Kids....

Our bikes were everything to us, as well. Transportation, means to jump stuff, and means to get to the fishin hole. We took all the brakes off, kickstand, chain guards, reflectors....anything that could clog up with mud, or added weight. We put the really fat tires on the front so they would float across the mud and not dig in, and the really skinny one on the rear for the opposite reason. Everyone had a "barbell wrench" taped to the frame. Some of the wrecks were legendary. When dad had a dirt pile delivered in his never ending quest to level his yard....it was like Christmas!

I had a Diamond Back Viper until my sister ran over it with dad's truck, then I bought a Dyno VFR saving up beer cans from deer camp.

He found my old skateboard in his barn a couple months ago. That was a short, but painful stage.

Last edited by Dale Moser; 02-23-2021, 01:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
      I hate footloose and dirty dancing too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Agree. Maximum suckage.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Glenn View Post
        Those were fun times. I wouldn't trade all of that for anything. I learned lots of good lessons fixing and repairing bikes. And no matter how ugly they were our bikes were our first taste of freedom and independence. I guess kids just don't get to run the streets on their bikes like we use to anymore. It sure isn't as prevalent anyway.

Yup... good times.... and way before this dang movie.[emoji23]. I was driving by the time this was released and haven’t touched many bikes since [emoji38]

Comment

Originally posted by NotJose View Post
          Hell yeah!! Grew up in Mesquite, had a Diamond Back. BMX track was down the street. Lots of memories

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          the one in seagoville? i raced there for a couple years, probably around 1988 or so, when i was 10. started on a mini frame GT, then went to a full size mongoose and finished on a zero nine. great memories traveling around texas and arkansas racing.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
            Yup... good times.... and way before this dang movie.[emoji23]. I was driving by the time this was released and haven’t touched many bikes since [emoji38]
            I was already working for a living.

The thing when I was a kid was Evel Knievel jumps. After Wide World Of Sports showed one, the ramps came out. We built one with a picnic table and sheet of plywood. That one was NOT a good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post

The thing when I was a kid was Evel Knievel jumps. After Wide World Of Sports showed one, the ramps came out. We built one with a picnic table and sheet of plywood. That one was NOT a good idea.
              We all wanted to be Evil Knievel.

Comment

Dale your board and mine were similar. Always wished the nose on mine turned up to so I could grip it better, causing me to break something.

Comment

Yup on Evil Knievel here too! Many a broken bone, scraped elbows/knees and chipped teeth were obtained trying to mimic him.

Comment

I started out on a bike with a banana seat and ape hanger handle bars. It was totally trashed and rusty as could be and my dad sandblasted it at work for me. I painted it silver with a paint brush and aluminum paint. The kind that runs and drips like crazy and never fully cures. That was a fine ride.
                    I started out on almost the same bike. I actually bought it for 10 bucks from saved allowance tho.... Allowance? Guess I was a "rich" kid too, lol

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by rolylane6 View Post
                      I started out on almost the same bike. I actually bought it for 10 bucks from saved allowance tho.... Allowance? Guess I was a "rich" kid too, lol

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
                      Yes you were!

We had to pick up coke bottles and take them to get the deposit.

Comment

I kinda remember Rad but not much.

I took an old Huffy bmx frame and painted it white and bought all blue parts for it. Couldn't afford those 350.00 designer bikes in the Waco trailer park.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

I started out on a bike with a banana seat and ape hanger handle bars. It was totally trashed and rusty as could be and my dad sandblasted it at work for me. I painted it silver with a paint brush and aluminum paint. The kind that runs and drips like crazy and never fully cures. That was a fine ride.

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
                          I kinda remember Rad but not much.

I took an old Huffy bmx frame and painted it white and bought all blue parts for it. Couldn't afford those 350.00 designer bikes in the Waco trailer park.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Man when I was a young kid in the mid-late 70s, I got a black bike with flames down the side with a long black motorcycle-like seat for Christmas. Even had the **** red and yellow tassels on the cheesy hand grips that I ripped off quickly. Also had the rear seat support bars that mounted to the rear wheel bolts like a banana seat. The rest of the bike looked "BMXey" except the nut buster bar was a series of three thinner bars and not just one. When the BMX bike started to become popular a year or so later, I took off that motorcycle seat and bought a single pole BMX style seat with my lawnmowing money. I peeled off all the flames and dad helped get the stickiness off. I took everything off spray painted the whole frame black.....reassembled it with the new seat and octopus handlebar grips. I also used the same runny silver paint to repaint my spoke rims. Not sure because they were already chrome spokes And finally, Dad had one of those handheld press labeling things and I made two labels with the bikes new name, Old Timer (even though the bike was only 2-3 years old). It was old compared to some of my buddies K-Mart BMX bikes. Put the down the side of the main nut buster bar. I also loosened and pushed the handlebars out some versus down low like I got it and dang she sure was as close to a BMX bike as I could afford lol. My brother did similar with his. We ran the living snot out of those bikes all over the streets of Taft, Texas and the country roads and fields surrounding it. We were enjoying small town life and freedom as somebody put it above. I eventually saved up enough to buy a bmx style bike but it sure wasn't one of the name brands like Schwinn Mongoose or anything. It was black with yellow mags andthats about all I can remember. Better days were spent on Old Timer though....that's for sure. Good times!

Comment

Those were fun times. I wouldn't trade all of that for anything. I learned lots of good lessons fixing and repairing bikes. And no matter how ugly they were our bikes were our first taste of freedom and independence. I guess kids just don't get to run the streets on their bikes like we use to anymore. It sure isn't as prevalent anyway.

Exactly Glenn....It was my first taste of turning wrenches and fixing things that broke or fell off...and we had some good times.

I concur on the bike deal...we don't see kids riding bikes around here ...unless their parents are with them.

Comment

Back in the mid 60's, we had a neighbor that raced motorcycles. We stripped our bikes down and put some of his spare handlebars on and Boom! We had motocross bicycles. We were building BMX bikes before anybody had ever heard of BMX. I also put the steering wheel from a 1962 Dodge pickup on one of my bikes.

Comment

Back in the mid 60's, we had a neighbor that raced motorcycles. We stripped our bikes down and put some of his spare handlebars on and Boom! We had motocross bicycles. We were building BMX bikes before anybody had ever heard of BMX. I also put the steering wheel from a 1962 Dodge pickup on one of my bikes.

**** I figured your first mode of transportation was a horse..

Comment

Working...
                                X