Axis Die Off from Cold?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Axis Die Off from Cold?

Is anyone else seeing an abundance of dead Axis deer? I'm wondering if the severe cold has killed a bunch off. One friend had 4 carcasses close up to his house and his neighbor had 2. I also have seen 3 dead ones on my own 5 acres. I'm in the Boerne area NW of San Antonio

I was up at our place in Sisterdale on Sunday. They looked healthy, not sure yet

Comment

I found one on our place dead..And we've never seen a live one in person.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
        I found one on our place dead..And we've never seen a live one in person.
        You sure it wasn't a mega fawn?

Comment

Originally posted by djohnson View Post
          Is anyone else seeing an abundance of dead Axis deer? I'm wondering if the severe cold has killed a bunch off. One friend had 4 carcasses close up to his house and his neighbor had 2. I also have seen 3 dead ones on my own 5 acres. I'm in the Boerne area NW of San Antonio
          I’m near boerne also , we found 2 dead fawns , other wise
          I haven’t seen any mature axis dead yet

Comment

Haven't been to our ranch yet, but I'm still getting axis on my trail cams.....live ones.

Comment

72 dead on 400 acres in Gillespie County. Ive seen tons of dead axis. Still seeing some alive but they took a hit.

Comment

from a other web site. I guess I got Lucky and lost none. Apparently real lucky.
                My neighbor lost 10 blackbucks, 6 axis, 3 scimitar oryx, and I can't remember what else.
                No whitetails.
                His sister in Fredericksburg lost 90 blackbucks + a bunch of other exotics.
                Have ya'll heard any reports

Comment

I ended up losing 14 blackbuck and 2 axis in Live Oak county.

Comment

We are guessing we lost about half of our axis near Roosevelt. Sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                      We are guessing we lost about half of our axis near Roosevelt. Sucks.
                      I was worried about ours out there, but was glad to see the numbers the same as before the storm. I'm wondering why some ranches lost so many and we did not? Is your lease cleared of all the cedars? We have thick cedar brush.

Comment

Baker 3 Rancho is reporting their guesstimate is 30-35% loss. It’s a very large ranch though so.

Comment

Originally posted by Stolle View Post
                          I was worried about ours out there, but was glad to see the numbers the same as before the storm. I'm wondering why some ranches lost so many and we did not? Is your lease cleared of all the cedars? We have thick cedar brush.
                          Ours is really thick with cedar. Tons of cover. No livestock, so lots of underbrush. But we have a creek running through the middle. Found lots of dead axis down in the creek bottom where it's always colder. I don't know if they froze or died from dehydration with all the water froze up for a few days.

Not finding any dead whitetail, sika, fallow, hogs, or turkey. Just axis. Everything else is looking good on all the cameras. Still seeing axis on the cameras, but not near as many as before the cold. I'm hoping maybe one of the neighbors put out a bunch of alfalfa and attracted a bunch of the axis for a while. My buddy was there this weekend and found 20 dead within 50 yards of a cabin by the creek. Either a bunch more are dead up in the hills and brush, or they just haven't been back on camera yet.
                          Last edited by Shane; 02-23-2021, 02:32 PM.

Comment

Also sucks that axis are the only reason we're on this lease, and the payment is due this week.

We're hanging in.

Comment

Working...
                            X