Llano, Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
    This is dead on! The deer are bigger in the Riley mountains, but so are the pigs. Not kidding, the guys at the processor can generally tell what part of the county the deer came from just at a glance. I have had friends drop deer off, without me there, and before they look at the tag they have said, “That is a Riley mountains deer.”
    Yep and the Click area and along sandy creek

Comment

I guess it's true the deer are bigger up north. I killed a 151 3 years ago and the 158 in my avatar two years ago east of San Saba on 160 acres low fence with no protein. The 176 west of Cherokee was San Saba county as well.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowthreat View Post
        I grew up on the Ranch just north of the place your looking at. It's the ranch right off of hwy 71 and county road 405. It's on your right hand side if you turn off of hwy 71 and onto CR 405. I use to ride four wheelers as a kid right past the place your looking at.

As far as hunting, 566 of 686 acres of our place was cleared for grazing (we're cattle ranchers), so it wasn't the ideal hunting property. The 120 acres that was not cleared held a large number of deer and pigs year around. The deer are very small bodied on average. There are way too many hunters in the area that shoot 2 year old 8 points every year. Tons of hogs. There is a lot of turkeys on cold creek, but Field creek that ran through our ranch did not hold as many. I've killed countless deer over the years on the ranch, but nothing over 135. (pretty much the same for my buddies in the area). Only deer over 140 were on camera during bow season. I never saw a single exotic on our ranch, or in the entire area, from being out there for 23 years of my life. None of the neighbors, or anyone I knew in the area had seen any either. The exotics are in the southern portion of the county.

I love the area, because it's home to me. But if you're looking for big deer, there's better areas. If you just want to see a high number of deer every time you sit in the stand, its one of the best areas.
        This post seems like it is from 25 years ago. Lol.

Comment

The South part of Llano County has always had big deer. Back in the 60’s Moursand along with LBJ brought in thousands of South Texas deer to stock on his 10’s of thousands of acres he owned in that part of the County and And eastern Blanco County. Cherokee is actually San Saba county. The further north you go toward San Saba and goldthwaite and west of 16 the better the deer. Those are River bottom deer along the Colorado.
          Last edited by BrandonA; 01-22-2020, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
            This post seems like it is from 25 years ago. Lol.

We moved in the summer of 2017 and sold the place? Not sure what you mean by that?

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
              The South part of Llano County has always had big deer. Back in the 60’s Moursand along with LBJ brought in thousands of South Texas deer to stock on his 10’s of thousands of acres he owned in that part of the County and And eastern Blanco County. Cherokee is actually San Saba county. The further north you go toward San Saba and goldthwaite and west of 16 the better the deer. Those are River bottom deer along the Colorado.
              Interesting, I never new why the deer were always bigger from the southern parts of the county. Makes since now. It was always disappointing seeing 4-5 year old bucks that wouldn’t break 120, only to go into town and see some really nice deer killed in the same county.

To the OP, Hill of Texas commented above. He is the best source of knowledge for the area. Runs a large taxidermy shop in Llano, plus he’s lived there his whole life (got more years than me). Awesome guy who does excellent taxidermy work.

Comment

Interesting, I never new why the deer were always bigger from the southern parts of the county. Makes since now. It was always disappointing seeing 4-5 year old bucks that wouldn’t break 120, only to go into town and see some really nice deer killed in the same county.

To the OP, Hill of Texas commented above. He is the best source of knowledge for the area. Runs a large taxidermy shop in Llano, plus he’s lived there his whole life (got more years than me). Awesome guy who does excellent taxidermy work.
                The man that got me started in Rodeo and worked for morsend and flies for the family some today told me about them doing this years ago. Lot of other stories as well

Comment

I lease 100 acres off cr405 about 2 miles south of the ranch your looking at for the last 8 seasons. Lots of young deer. quite a few pigs at night. the biggest we have ever shot is 125". seen maybe 2 or 3 over the years on cam that were 130-135"

We see a lot of young deer on our place, not many 4yrs and up.

have never seen any exotics. use to see turkey all the time, but they have almost became non existent the last few years.

Comment

a lot of that area is part of this. Their harvest recommendation for 2019 - 1 buck per 464 acres and 1 doe per 33 acres on the cr405 route.... That is composed of spot light data.

I can honestly say on our place, the quality of deer has not really changed over the last 8 years for the most part.

My kids do most of the shooting these days. Not many deer that have really gotten my blood pumping like watching one of the kids get it done!

with all that being said... if my land owner ever decided to sell, and I could afford to buy it, I would in a heartbeat! Beautiful country and my family loves it there!
                    Last edited by Alderrg; 01-22-2020, 09:31 PM.

Comment

It was beautiful. I love the granite outcrops and the place showed a lot bigger than it is.
                      Low fence neighbors with similarly sized places. Not to happy with the little easement we had to drive through to get to it as the road is bad and the house we drive by wouldn't pass muster with my wife.

Lot's of game trails and rubs spotted. Beautiful views. Just over $6500 an acre, which I think is pricey. I am going to think on it and maybe send a low ball offer to see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                        The man that got me started in Rodeo and worked for morsend and flies for the family some today told me about them doing this years ago. Lot of other stories as well
                        would that be glen?

Comment

Beautiful country for sure. After hunting off 2323 and down cr110 for 21 years we lost our lease when the land owner died and his son decided to keep it for his immediate family. I don’t blame him but I’d sure like to find another place in that area. This is the only place my wife and kids have ever hunted. Trying to find another lease out there is like trying to find a needle in a hay stack.

Comment

We moved in the summer of 2017 and sold the place? Not sure what you mean by that?
                            People have been doing a much better job of managing deer in the area the last 20 years or so. EVERYONE shooting 2.5 year old 8 points was way worse 20-30 years ago.

Comment

Working...
                            X