Hunting the Canadian River?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunting the Canadian River?

Im looking at a place on the Canadian river a couple miles east of Canadian Tx. Property has about 2 miles of river frontage and I know nothing about the area. Cant find alot of info on it either. Property looks to be very flat with some kind of thick brush everywhere and a few cottonwoods. What kind of deer can be expected for up there?

Where is it located? If it is close to the Wildlife Management area, there is a good deer population with some very large deer. Lots of coyotes and bobcats, some hogs along the river. Depending on location you can also see some quality Mule deer and a small population of pronghorn.

Weather greatly affects rut activity. 8 inches of snow on 10/26 of this year really messed up the rut activity where I hunt. Really neat part of the state. At times it can and will get VERY cold.
    Last edited by cap50948; 01-10-2020, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Making me hungry...

Comment

I hunted the WMA several years ago. Big deer in that area. Mostly whitetail. There are a few mule deer in some places nearby, but mostly whitetail along the river. Kansas sized deer, not Hill Country whitetail.

Comment

Sounding good. I think its pretty close to the WMA.

Comment

Originally posted by RutnBuk View Post
            Yep. The WMA is not far from town going east. If there is a wheat field, it'll be gold.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
              Yep. The WMA is not far from town going east. If there is a wheat field, it'll be gold.
              There will be because Im going to plant some.

Comment

The biggest deer I have ever seen in this area was near the WMA. It was in a field before you get to the WMA. I was parked on the side of the road looking at the doe feeding and a buck in 160-170 range stepped out of some very thick brush for about 15-20 sec then went back in.

Wheat fields with a source of water are almost like cheating there will be so many deer on it. You'll probably pull in Mule deer and Pronghorn as well.

Comment

There will be because Im going to plant some.
                  You will probably need me to guide you. Just let me know when it's time for us to go hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                    You will probably need me to guide you. Just let me know when it's time for us to go hunt.
                    LOL. Well, I gotta get the place first.

Comment

Can a Mod please move this to around the campfire. Not sure how it ended up here.

Comment

I found out that it borders South Williams, upper meadow, and maybe some of hay meadow. Its mainly all in the river bottom. Are there any mule deer along the river?

And if a mod would move this I would appreciate it.

Comment

We saw quite a few mule deer on the north side of the WMA in the Sandhills. Can’t speak for the river, but you’d think if they are quite a few a couple miles north they’ll use the river as well.

Comment

There is some very good deer hunting in that area, mule deer and whitetail. Big deer.. There is also some GIANT Aoudad along that river, in the hilly, canyon, areas..

Comment

Well I decided to take it. Property needs some work. Looks like its been untouched for many years. No roads or improvements at all. Plenty cover but almost to much. Water is everywhere. We will see.

Comment

Working...
                              X