Pressured Deer Are EASY To Pattern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
    3 years ago the biggest buck on my lease would only come to a pipe feeder, he disappeared and showed back up last year and would only come to hand corn (didn't have the pipe feeder up any more), he's never been seen at a spin feeder....fwiw

Good to know, I'm a tight wad [emoji16]

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
      3 years ago the biggest buck on my lease would only come to a pipe feeder, he disappeared and showed back up last year and would only come to hand corn (didn't have the pipe feeder up any more), he's never been seen at a spin feeder....fwiw
      I have seen that over and over!

Comment

Originally posted by ElfEyes View Post
        Awesome my lease is too far to regularly hand corn so I am trying to find something to keep them coming.
        in the same boat..

Comment

Do you think it the feeder hanging over their heads or the noise it makes?
          I've had the idea to winch a feeder high up into the branches of a tree, I'm taking 20 to 30 foot up.
          But if they still associate the noise with danger it would be a waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
            I have used a bunch of different feeders and had some success with all of them. I had one particular old buck that just loved to shake corn out of a bucket feeder.

Bucket feeder with a spinner? Hanging from a branch?

Comment

Try an school bucket feeder, hole in bottom with a broom stick in it, hole just big enough that a few kernels of corn fall out each time the wind moves the stick. Slot the top of the stick and put a piece of wood across it or put a dowel rod through it so it won't fall through. Pull it high in an oak tree so it's natural and quiet.

Comment

Originally posted by Blake8504 View Post
                Bucket feeder with a spinner? Hanging from a branch?

I was actually talking about a bucket with a broom handle in it like discussed above. I fixed it so the deer could bump the stick and make corn fall out.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt.Bryan View Post
                  Try an school bucket feeder, hole in bottom with a broom stick in it, hole just big enough that a few kernels of corn fall out each time the wind moves the stick. Slot the top of the stick and put a piece of wood across it or put a dowel rod through it so it won't fall through. Pull it high in an oak tree so it's natural and quiet.
                  I really like this idea

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post

I was actually talking about a bucket with a broom handle in it like discussed above. I fixed it so the deer could bump the stick and make corn fall out.
                    ah got it!

Comment

GaryGuy....you mentioned in one of your first posts on this thread that you never use the trail you cut for corning to get to your stand. Typically, how far off of this trail is your path to your stand?

Comment

Hand corn is the way to go PERIOD but if not in a situation to do so, then a small hanging feeder up high in the branches is the next best option. Mature bucks still shy away from this situation as well but you got to do what you got to do. I have a few of those 5 gallon collapsible moultrie feeders tucked up on some branches and that is the next best thing to hand corning.

Comment

Originally posted by TCR² View Post
                          GaryGuy....you mentioned in one of your first posts on this thread that you never use the trail you cut for corning to get to your stand. Typically, how far off of this trail is your path to your stand?
                          I typically have a trail to hunt that is very wind specific. If possible I come in 90 degrees to that trail when hand corning. Its amazing how they learn where a hunter comes in. Literally dozens of times, I have seen bucks circle around the corn and check the trail I come in on to hand corn to see if I have been there. If that was behind the stand, I would be busted!

Comment

Really enjoying this thread! Waiting for next story

Comment

Any new stories yet? I have witnessed your corner effect several times this season already. I have been hunting from the house some (more scouting than hunting) waiting for a little later in the season to hit my hand corn in the sanctuary. Have seen several nice bucks. With the Trinity being flooded I have a constant influx of deer being pushed up by the flood waters, I'm thinking they will likely hang around because when the water recedes there will be no fresh growth likely until spring. There are still deer feeding on acorns but don't think they will last much longer around here. I have seen more of a transition of the deer feeding more on weeds and hitting the hay pastures. Bucks are still checking does and I'm still seeing a few on lock down. Alot of the mature bucks are either crippled up or racks busted, I believe what little rutting activity I'm still seeing is just from does that are running late cycles or didn't take the first time along with a few yearling does coming in.

Comment

I took a kid this morning that had never killed a buck but has whacked some doe. We had a stud come out at yds in my santuary. I gave him the green light and he was just taking an extra second with the shot when he bolted to a doe. Chased her away and out of the kids dream. Was a great morning to be alive.

Dad and I are passing bucks every day waiting on that special one. Been a great year so far. I have put two kids on nice deer already.

Comment

Working...
                                X