No announcement yet.

22 Mag VS 17 HMR Comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I started shooting the 17HMR the 17 grain ballistic tip was all that was available. I have three cases of the stuff and have not shot the 20 grain XTP and with the ammo supplies like they are it will most likely be a while before I try it. Just hate to have to re-sight my rifle each time I change bullets. FYI I went into Academy in Killeen yesterday and they had basically no ammo.

Comment

Originally posted by wilded View Post
      When I started shooting the 17HMR the 17 grain ballistic tip was all that was available. I have three cases of the stuff and have not shot the 20 grain XTP and with the ammo supplies like they are it will most likely be a while before I try it. Just hate to have to re-sight my rifle each time I change bullets. FYI I went into Academy in Killeen yesterday and they had basically no ammo.
      I’ve got about 1K rounds of the 17 Vmax and about 1K of the 20 XTP. I shoot them both regularly. My rifle is sighted in with the Vmax, but the 20 XTP shoots within 1/4” at 100 yds. That was good enough to eat hole a few hogs at 140 yds a little while back. I shoot the 17 stuff the most, as most of my shooting is rabbits, fox, etc. It works fine for them. I mostly save the 20 if I know I have a chance at coyotes or hogs, and I just plain enjoy killing hogs with that gun lol

Comment

I have a custom Ruger 77/17 with a fluted Green Mountain Target Bull barrel and the accuracy is uncanny. I love it for that reason. It is death on prairie dogs, squirrels and rabbits out to 150 yards. I have lost several fox, coyotes and bobcat with good bullet placement that made it to brush when calling at night. The first year I had it I shot a big gobbler at about 75 yards center of the back. Feathers went everywhere but I did not recover the bird. That was when I decided not to use it on anything larger than a coon. I look forward to trying the 20 grain bullets in the future. I have been shooting the 30 grain V max 22 WMR with success on foxes and other predators.

Comment

I have killed plenty of hogs and turkey with my 22 mag. Some a hair passed 100 yards.

Comment

I hunt in Mexico. Take two guns for the season. 22Mag and deer rifle. I shoot pigs, javalina, and yotes out to 150 yards with the 22Mag.

Comment

The 17 is fun to shoot, such a flat shooter. But for animals I prefer the Mag.

Comment

Seems to me that the .17 bullet did its job by dissipating all its energy in the one target. That’s what they’re supposed to do.

Comment

For me it all about the accuracy and shot placement. The 17 HMR is known for its exceptional accuracy.

Comment

I like them both, but the 17 more so for plinking, 22mag for hunting. 17 is much more accurate on paper, but have 0 trouble head shooting rabbits out to 70-80 yards with the mag. That's plenty accurate enough for me. I have anchored quite a few pigs with the 22mag.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
                      If you are going after pigs and body shots, 22Mag wins that one hands down.

If you are going after pigs with body shots and a .22 you lose.

Comment

I have one of each. Anchored a big coon on the spot with the 22 mag and just took out a squirrel at 35 yards with the 17 HMR. Both DRT so each has a place. Since the two savages are alike I don't even have to think about adjusting from one to the other.

Comment

I think the accuracy issues most guys run into with the .22mag has to do with the ammo rather than the gun. Mine is the most accurate with 40 grain bullets. I can put bullets through the mouth of an empty can at 100 yards with those. I've been shooting 30 grain bullets though and they're still capable of hitting a bottle cap at 100 yards.

Comment

Working...
                          X