German smear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

German smear?

I know this place is a wealth of knowledge.

Anyone ever apply a the German smear mortor technique to their home?

Curious as to pros and cons…and wisdom from doing it
    Last edited by Death from Above; 06-05-2023, 01:38 PM.

I put it on my house and used it around my garden and tiered backyard. I was able to use a cheaper cut of stone and still make it look good. Also, it’s easier to cover up holes if you need to run pipes or hang things.

Comment

I don't really know how to create a pro's and con's list for a german smear. As far as I know, is basically all aesthetics so it would just be up to the eye of the beholder.

I guess I can come up with 1 con, our mason charges us more for a smear.

You looking to do this yourself?

Comment

Here it is
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Gclyde28 View Post
          I don't really know how to create a pro's and con's list for a german smear. As far as I know, is basically all aesthetics so it would just be up to the eye of the beholder.

I guess I can come up with 1 con, our mason charges us more for a smear.

You looking to do this yourself?
          Yes sir. On the tail end of a remodel. I did all the demo, framing sheetroc and insulation. I had the pool work done and also subbed out plumbing and electrical due to codes and insurance.

New roof hits tomorrow and i am tired of this lol.

Going to pay to rewrap thw house in LP horizontal siding…but i aint painting it.

The German smear will be my last thing…after that anything momma needs done ahe can pay for lol.

Comment

We did it to help cover some of our brick. Used the white mortar mix from Lowes. Easy enough once you get the mix consistency down so it sticks, but not too thin that it drips.

Comment

Never heard of this, but it might be something I'd be interested in when I do a remodel of my office/man cave!!

Comment

Just finished ranch entrance. I hired it done because I’d have screwed it up. I’m happy with outcome and was able to buy some old surplus brick because it didn’t really matter if all the brick matched as long as it was all close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post

Just finished ranch entrance. I hired it done because I’d have screwed it up. I’m happy with outcome and was able to buy some old surplus brick because it didn’t really matter if all the brick matched as long as it was all close.

Man beautiful work!!

Comment

Originally posted by tps7742 View Post
                    Man beautiful work!!

Thank you. My mason did a great job, but I had a 19 year old local kid build the fence, gate and overhead and he knocked it out of the park, I thought.

Comment

Man I would definitely do some practicing in some obscure locations if I was doing it myself. I would want see some samples from a mason if I was contracting it out.There is a house not far from me that went heavy smear (maybe desired) but it looks horrible. Then there are few that did the house, gates, and columns that look as good as Curt’s. It looks great when properly applied.

Comment

Man that’s it to a tee…looks exactly like what we are aspiring to do.

I will post some pictures when done…unless I mess it up…then I will post a realtor’s link lol

Comment

German smear?

Perfect.

We are about to start a huge renovation on a property near Pensacola that was built in the early 2000's with that horrible "red" brick that was so popular back then.

Planning for a German smear to modernize the look of the brick.

The first mason showed me this picture, which I didn't think did enough to cover up the brick color, so we are calling for a 'heavy smear'

Last edited by Atfulldraw; 06-05-2023, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
                            Perfect.

We are about to start a huge renovation on a property near Pensacola that was built in the early 2000's with that horrible "red" brick that was so popular back then.

Planning for a German smear to modernize the look of the brick.

I used the ugliest red brick you could imagine because I knew it would get covered. It was super cheap. It came off of a public school job the mason had left over. I figured once it was covered, nobody would know and I was right…you can’t tell.

Comment

I used the ugliest red brick you could imagine because I knew it would get covered. It was super cheap. It came off of a public school job the mason had left over. I figured once it was covered, nobody would know and I was right…you can’t tell.

and now that color is officially....

Public School Ugly Red

Comment

Working...
                              X