No announcement yet.

Bear Creek 7.62x39 upper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going to first pull bullets from Norma Tactical ammo. Then when I run out of those I will try and find some different powders. Reloader 7 seems to be popular

Comment

After night shift I went to the range and shot some rounds with my new upper.
      I didn’t have to change the elevation and only made one small adjustment to the windage.
      Tula shot ok but this wasn’t any surprise, the Norma FMJ’s a little better and the PPU shot one group of five in about 1 1/2” group and another five a little over an inch. Almost found all my brass.
      PPU definitely accurate for hunting.

Comment

I was hoping to have my uppers by the weekend but it's looking like tomorrow is when they're scheduled to arrive. Still have to wait on my ammo and scope and scope mounts I ordered last week. I don't know when that will get here. I hope this week sometime.

Comment

I bought one for my son’s ar. It’s the spiral fluted stainless. I’ve only put 123gr PPU soft points through it. It’s around an inch groups and cycles like it should. I’ve been tempted to buy another to have.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
            I was hoping to have my uppers by the weekend but it's looking like tomorrow is when they're scheduled to arrive. Still have to wait on my ammo and scope and scope mounts I ordered last week. I don't know when that will get here. I hope this week sometime.
            Agony!

Comment

Originally posted by J-5 View Post
              I bought one for my son’s ar. It’s the spiral fluted stainless. I’ve only put 123gr PPU soft points through it. It’s around an inch groups and cycles like it should. I’ve been tempted to buy another to have.
              I may order more for the brass.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisk View Post
                Reloading dies and 123 grain SST bullets are on their way from Midway
                The SST's were a pain in the butt for me. I like the bullet but it wouldn't function reliably in my gun. When I took out a round that didn't chamber, the plastic tip would be gouged and deformed. I went to the regular lead soft points and have had no more problems.

Comment

Test fired mine today. Shot 1" groups at 100 yards with Wolf Polyformace HP's and Nosler Varmageddon both. The Norma FMJ's shot terrible. They were all over the place. Which surprised me, I figured the Wolf ammo would shoot the worst and the Norma would be one of the better of the 3.

Comment

Keep the brass!

Comment

I was happy with around 2” groups from the Tula and Norma considering I have a 3x sight and had no malfunctions.
                      Want to find some Barnaul also. Need to work some OT.

Comment

I don't want to hijack the thread but speaking of brass that's one issue with the rifle I did have. The very first shot my rifle locked up and I had to wrap a towel around the charging handle and knocked it open with a mallet. The extractor gouged the heck out of the head of the brass on three rounds. I oiled the bolt really good and had no more issues. Not really sure what caused that. But I have to assume it was due to not being well lubricated given that the issue stopped after oiling the bolt.

Other than that I was happy with the results I got. I plan on reloading so I kept the brass that wasn't gouged by the extractor. It was the Norma that locked my gun up and I don't know that it matters but I noticed that ammo smoked a lot worse than the other two. Not sure what the deal was with that but my gun was smoking like a freight train every time I'd shoot that stuff. The Wolf ammo and the Nosler didn't do that.
                        Last edited by okrattler; 06-06-2023, 07:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                          Test fired mine today. Shot 1" groups at 100 yards with Wolf Polyformace HP's and Nosler Varmageddon both. The Norma FMJ's shot terrible. They were all over the place. Which surprised me, I figured the Wolf ammo would shoot the worst and the Norma would be one of the better of the 3.
                          That’s exactly what I got with the Norma’s. I had no clue where the next round would hit.

Comment

I pulled some bullets from the Norma and Tula and loaded the sst bullets on them. I will try them out the next range trip.

Comment

I have a BCA 18" 450BM and 18" 6.5G both shoot great.

Comment

Working...
                              X