No announcement yet.

Best herbicide to kill underbrush/weeds without hurting post oak trees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The difference is getting chemicals on the bark vs on the soil.

I round up around my live oak trees so I don't tear them up with the mower or weed eater. I use the correct amounts though and don't get it on the tree.

Same with grazon next. I have not killed any trees spraying under the drip line with reasonable amounts using a boom or boom less spray rig. I have killed some when it got on the trunk.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Chapparal

Comment

Originally posted by BRUTE 23 View Post
        The difference is getting chemicals on the bark vs on the soil.

I round up around my live oak trees so I don't tear them up with the mower or weed eater. I use the correct amounts though and don't get it on the tree.

Same with grazon next. I have not killed any trees spraying under the drip line with reasonable amounts using a boom or boom less spray rig. I have killed some when it got on the trunk.

You killed some trees, using foliar herbicides by getting some spray on the trunk? Most trees that I know of dont take in through the trunk unless cut, and then you need a different chemical. Foliar herbicides have to get on the leaves to be taken in.

Comment

I’ve sprayed drums of grazon p+d on, around and under tress. They never flinched. For what you have I’ve used both Grazon p+d or suremont. These are not basal sprays, you have to cover every leaf on the plant you’re spraying, I use them for wild rose, vines, yaupon and huisache. Miss one spot, it will stay green where you missed coverage and not die. I’ve covered the base of trees 10 to 15’ up killing yaupon, never killed a tree.

Comment

Originally posted by Calrob View Post
            You killed some trees, using foliar herbicides by getting some spray on the trunk? Most trees that I know of dont take in through the trunk unless cut, and then you need a different chemical. Foliar herbicides have to get on the leaves to be taken in.
            Yes, absolutely. I spray quite a bit a year with GN. For the first 2 years, I was cautious and tested spraying several different ways. Just running past a tree like on a ROW and spraying down one side had no effect. If you go down one side and down the other or circle it, you can for sure kill them. I did it. I also had a fitting break, and it dumped quite a bit in one until I could get it stopped about 10yds from a tree. That high concentration killed just one side of the tree. It must have been concentrated in one area enough to make it to the roots.

Comment

Working...
            X