No announcement yet.

Newton County Public FYI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just turkey hunted out there the other day, first time being there. Was really impressed with the place and hoped to summer scout and bow hunt some in the fall. Saw one Tom and tried to set up on him, but he gave me the slip.

Comment

Has anyone emailed TPWD to try and get an answer from the agency that runs the WMA?

Comment

Originally posted by jackal View Post
        they'll make more money at their current rates then the tax write off they get for allowing it to be public land. Anyone that leases it the first year will probably have trouble with the locals that treat it like their personal property.
        100%!

Comment

Originally posted by bigchiefj View Post
          Has anyone emailed TPWD to try and get an answer from the agency that runs the WMA?
          I called them a week ago and all they would tell me is that anything with any timber company should be finalized by the end of May. Hopefully they renegotiate!

Comment

Originally posted by jjaimes View Post
            Unfortunately, I think you might be right. I kinda figured this would start happening when I saw a piece of public right off 87 sold a while back and heard it was subdivided.
            True! There's several tracts of it up for sale now. They were listed in 2022 and still available.

Comment

Originally posted by ElfEyes View Post
              If it's true when do yall want to talk about the bucks that roam around out there?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
              I gave up a great lease also and now scratching my head!

Comment

Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post
                Aren't Crown property leases put out for bid on their leasing system? It should show up there I would think.
                When it becomes available they'll post it up for bid but I have seen it where there's someone already in line to lease it and it never lists. We shall see...

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                  Money
                  Lots of money!

Comment

Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post
                    With inflation, State can't keep up with the market. Their budgets are set and adjusted ahead of time. Crown saw what was available and how they could control the access better and chose the logical path. Can't fault them for it. I've often thought of leasing one of their smaller holdings just to have a place to go.

With respect to people hunting this fall, I think, unless it is written otherwise in the lease agreement, that Crown would be responsible for policing access. Lesee has a right to quiet enjoyment. Lessor must defend that right.

Either way, I would think hard before leasing the first year.

We're going to see more of this. I've spent a lot of time trying to come up with a new model for public hunting access. The best I can think of is contracted leases with property owners, secured by the state, and a public draw at market costs which needs to be enough to pay for the leases, draw and member management.

Maybe some type of creative revenue bond to get it started. Dunno. It's a tough nut to crack.
                    Why doesn't the state just use eminent domain to aquire property? The state does it all the time to build lakes.

But the reality is the Texas doesn't value public hunting.

Comment

Sad to hear this. This was the only place I had to hunt turkeys. Saw turkey’s every year but couldn’t ever get it done

Comment

Following...any news if it was posted or already just leased

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Comment

Just got info from Crown. All T2 in Newton County will expire and will be posted Sept 1 on their website.

Comment

Originally posted by ElfEyes View Post
                            If it's true when do yall want to talk about the bucks that roam around out there?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
                            Fire away. I hate to see it leased. All the progress made in buck quality, down the drain in one season of rifle hunters

Comment

FYI, hot word today, a lot of local archers will be bidding in the Newton Type2 and it will be kept archery only by the leasors.

Comment

Working...
                              X