X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GWP all day.

Comment

Get a good mutt.

They always seem to be the most loyal dogs for me in the past.
      My only other vote is total opposite end of the spectrum. Jack russel terrier. But they can be aggressive little high energy dogs so that goes against one of your qualities listed.

Comment

For all around pets I lean towards dachshund. They are smaller than you wanted but if you ever get one the you will never have anything else. I would stay away from any of the cur breeds. If they are well bred then they have way too much energy and drive for the normal life as a pet. We deal with this every single day in the catahoula world. People buy the pretty blue eyed pup. They tell everyone what great pets they make. About year 3 they mature and then eat the peoples house...........

-john

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
          Rhodesian Ridgeback thoughts/opinions?
          One of the best dogs I’ve ever owned. Great with my kids and very protective around the house. Sadly, he got under a horse and killed.

Comment

Hard to beat a good Black Mouth Cur. Great with my boys when they were babies and killed a many of hogs, tracked deer and other game, and worked cows with his help.

Comment

It going to be hard to beat a lab for that list, stay away from chocolates and stick to black or yellows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I vote Blue Heeler but if you get a Lab make sure you have plenty of dirt in your yard for it to dig big canyon's.

Comment

My lab isn't a digger and I don't think you could find a more loyal companion.
                  However I think a beagle is a pretty awesome dog. I've owned a bunch of them over the decades. Ran packs in a rabbit hunting group for years. Our current girl is 15 and we know time with her is pretty limited.
                  We probably won't get another dog. But if we do, it will be a beagle.

Sent from my Nokia XR20 using Tapatalk

Comment

I'll toss my hat in this for a Heeler, I wanted a pointer but at the time was a broke college student and couldn't afford one. So I got a Red Heeler from a friend, that darn dog is the best friend I've ever had. She's just as smart as can be, which does lead to some frustration when she doesn't listen. She loves fetch, and not to brag but she's the best bird retrieving Heeler I've ever seen. That dog loves to be outside with me, and bout rips the doors off the hinges if I don't bring her with me. (She's also the inspiration for the username/logo)

I'll be getting a wirehaired pointer next, but that's just due to the fact I don't think I'll ever be able to replace ole Goose with another Heeler.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
                      Poodle [emoji251]

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
                      Very intelligent dogs and actually a sporting dog. And no shedding. FTR, no, I don't have one. Have had em in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by TX_Hoghunter View Post
                        For all around pets I lean towards dachshund. They are smaller than you wanted but if you ever get one the you will never have anything else. I would stay away from any of the cur breeds. If they are well bred then they have way too much energy and drive for the normal life as a pet. We deal with this every single day in the catahoula world. People buy the pretty blue eyed pup. They tell everyone what great pets they make. About year 3 they mature and then eat the peoples house...........

-john
                        This,
                        Best dogs I have ever had.

Comment

Get a British lab out of a reputable kennel like Wildrose. Brit labs are on the smaller size and live to retrieve. The thing I like most is that they can turn off the drive and be calm in the house or around strangers.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                            My lab isn't a digger and I don't think you could find a more loyal companion.
                            However I think a beagle is a pretty awesome dog. I've owned a bunch of them over the decades. Ran packs in a rabbit hunting group for years. Our current girl is 15 and we know time with her is pretty limited.
                            We probably won't get another dog. But if we do, it will be a beagle.

Sent from my Nokia XR20 using Tapatalk
                            My boyhood best friend was a Beagle mix. Had him 15 years before the neighbor shot him for getting in his chickens. He was an awesome dog and a free spirit and plenty smart but some things just wouldn't pernitrate his thick head. I absolutely couldn't break him from chasing cars. He was hit several times but wouldn't quit. I don't think I'll have another Beagle.

Comment

Labs are awesome companion dogs that would check all the boxes I realize, but I'm just not a Lab guy. I don't know why.

Comment

It depends on the job you have for them.
                                Adios,
                                Gary

Comment

Working...
                                X