Wilton bullet vise restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wilton bullet vise restoration

Picked up an old Wilton Bullet vise on eBay and going through cleaning it up and restoring it. Date code says manufactured in 1945 in Chicago. Love the looks of these things. It was covered in paint but in good working order so will just need a cleanup and paint and a few missing/damaged parts.

Got it all pulled apart and starting to clean it up now.

Awesome tools! Yours looks a lot like the one I use/abuse everyday at my job.
    Attached Files

Comment

You should put this in the DIY forum

Comment

I rebuilt a 1948 model a few years ago. I ended up making a 250 dollar profit on it. The fella that purchased it was happy to have a solid American made vise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
          You should put this in the DIY forum

Good point. Anyway the mods can move it?

Comment

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
            I rebuilt a 1948 model a few years ago. I ended up making a 250 dollar profit on it. The fella that purchased it was happy to have a solid American made vise.

Looks great! Think I’m gonna keep this one. But I’ll be on the lookout for these things for sale for a long time!

Comment

Very nice! I really enjoy putting some love and attention into something that can tell a story. How much was shipping for the vice???

Comment

Hunting this weekend but got most of the paint stripped. May work on it some more after the cowboy game Sunday.

Comment

Originally posted by ladrones View Post

What color did you use

Comment

Originally posted by coy-ote View Post
                    What color did you use

I can’t remember the name. I was in the Permian basin at the time. I stopped into the Sherman Williams in Carlsbad and was asking for a good industrial type paint. Well the kid was filling aresol cans with what a large company in the basin uses to paint pumps with. They had two color options. That green color and a tan color. I want to say it is what Apache or Concho uses.
                    It is a solid paint and I only paid 4 bucks a can.

You can spend 500 bucks today on a brand new vise and it still would not be as nice as that 1948 Wilton is.

The OP will have a fantastic piece once he completes his refurbishment. He

Comment

Yep,rebuilding a 746 mechanics vise and looking for that green looks a lot like the original color

Comment

Great job. I love my old Wiltons

Comment

Originally posted by hog_down View Post
                          Very nice! I really enjoy putting some love and attention into something that can tell a story. How much was shipping for the vice???
                          somewhere around 50 bucks.

Comment

Rust-oleum makes a Hammered Verde Green that is very close to the original wilton green.

Comment

Originally posted by chriSq2 View Post
                              Rust-oleum makes a Hammered Verde Green that is very close to the original wilton green.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X