Dogs feet vs oyster shell hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dogs feet vs oyster shell hunting

I know the shell can be hard on a lot of stuff and seen some nasty cuts. What do you do when hunting with dogs on the coast? Do they wear boots like in west texas?

I've got boots for mine but they look hilarious trying to run with them. One of these days I'll dress them up like a clown and put the boots on and take video. One dog will wear the boots ok, the other they always end up floating after retrieving. We just avoid the shell areas now, the pad cuts are really nasty and it's not worth it.

Comment

I will try to avoid those areas but I am afraid the pup will find some I miss

Comment

We haven't had bad luck with scattered shell. I'm not sure how they do it but can't recall ever having a pad cut when there's just light shell here or there. It's when there's a little reef or they have to cross any sort of solid shell when it's been bad.

Comment

Ok. Thanks.

Comment

After sitting out 4 weeks in the off-season over a sliced pad I will be passing on heavy shell

Comment

I hunt San Antonio bay and boot up my dog, she is used to being booted as some other places we hunt have sand burs
              Shell will jack up her pads bad , I do run her on ranch roads to keep her feet tough

Comment

Any recomend dog boots? I can see booting him up being something that needs to be worked on prior to season so he gets used to it.

Comment

I use Ruffwear Grip Trex boots
                  They get used to wearing them very fast.

Comment

Definitely use boots and tape them on so they do not come off. Had to end a hunt and get to an emergency clinic quick after lab cut her foot. Honestly thought she wasn’t going to make it with the amount blood loss after the boat ride and ride to the vet. A night at the vet and she pulled through. I will say boots are cheap compared to the vet bill and having to leave a decoy spread out in the marsh.

Comment

Is there anything I should look for? I know most are intended for dogs on land. Thanks

Comment

Bump for any duck hunters on the coast. Thanks

Comment

Boots for sure. Make sure to wash the regularly. And make sure to give their feet a break. Feet on dogs breed fungus, and infection. Clean their feet after each trip.

Comment

Working...
                          X