Does keeping bucks ran off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does keeping bucks ran off?

So I got a new 80 acre property last spring. Been running five feeders with corn/soy mix ever since. The place has become infested with does. Its like a nursery right now with fawns running all over. Problem Im having is bucks are MIA. Its not a buck population problem because ive spotted some groups of monsters on my neighbors places and they aren't doing a thing. Did I mess up by over feeding through the spring/summer? Our rut isn't until Thanksgiving so waiting for the rut for them to come looking for love may not work out too well.

In the spring you typically have one or the other. They don’t co-habitat well.

You may not see much early season... but ya never know. When the velvet comes off they scatter. I honestly don’t want shooters on my small places now, cause I know I will loose them

Comment

I bought 40 acres in Oklahoma in January and been running one feeder in middle of property and hand Corning my hunt spots. Same at my place does and fawns every where. An occasional small buck will show up occasionally. But per the previous owner and pictures to back it up the big boys start showing up late September and just gets better the later in the year it gets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If you can hold the does, the bucks will come....

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post

You may not see much early season... but ya never know. When the velvet comes off they scatter. I honestly don’t want shooters on my small places now, cause I know I will loose them
          That is kind of my mindset here at the house. Every year, the bucks show back up when it’s the right time, so I’m okay with the rare photo from April-Sep

Originally posted by deerwatcher51 View Post
          If you can hold the does, the bucks will come....
          Yes sir...I do my best to keep the doe here and unbothered.

Comment

Where I work there are hundreds of undeveloped acres that hold lots of quality deer since they are not hunted. Right now I can find herds of does grouped together and the same for bucks in another area. As said above they do not mix now. The bucks will be breaking up into smaller herds or solitary soon as the chase for does starts up here in late Aug. Early Sept. The only thing I will miss when I retire is watching these magnificent creatures go about their daily lives not being harassed.

Comment

It's like running a bar if you can get the girls coming in, then during the rut the boys will surely follow!

Comment

Honestly, I'd rather have things exactly how you've got them.

That's how all of our places function too. Tons of does this time of year. Bucks show up around the start of September usually. If you've got the does, the bucks will come eventually.

Comment

Bachelor groups are going to stick to the areas that provides the greatest nutrition and sense of safety.
                  They’re fairly predictable, at least this time of year..

It could be nutrition or it could be your neighbors pasture provides them a better sense of safety.
                  Given what you’ve written, I’d bet they’re not comfortable in your pasture.
                  Hope this helps.

Comment

Brush/ habitat is also a factor. Bucks in velvet can’t go crashing through brush for safety. It hurts. They will stick to more open woods with more “grass” cover

Comment

Bucks are just like humans. There are certain times the boys just don't want to put up with a bunch of complaining females and screaming kids. We gather in small groups off to ourselves to reflect on what's important in life or talk about the ones we gonna go after next.

Comment

Same at the place I hunt lots of does, no bucks yet.

Comment

I don't know what it is worth to you but I have heard from some game warden friends that if you have a lot of does and no bucks, you may have poachers. This exact scenario was happening on my friends lease and it wound up being a neighbor poaching deer. I am not saying that this is what is going on in your case, but it is something to at least consider.

Comment

About as accurate as you can get. It is the same where I hunt. Many doe and fawn in my area(110 acres). When the velvet comes off, several bucks will relocate close or in my area, plus the odd cruiser....the same will happen with you.

Comment

Thats why you pattern them early and get them early. Well...thats what I would do.

Because you're right....once rut comes around...POOF!

Comment

Working...
                              X