Medicare and the V A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Medicare and the V A

Folks next month my Medicare kicks in. I have it all set up. The wife still has me on her private insurance which cost us about $4,800 per year. I also have V A benefits.
    I want to drop off my wife’s insurance. She wants me on for fear of receiving less than better care. So if I drop her coverage and have Medicare and the V A, what and where does the V A come in? What exactly can you go without on Medicare and make up with the VA?
    I have a service related disability (hearing) that the V A takes care of and the will give me a pair of glasses per year. Aside from that how do you Veterans use it? Thanks in advance.

my wife has private insurance and is also covered by the v.a (100percent) and she uses the v.a most of the time, her insurance is free because she retired but she always says that the v.a covers more and more time is spent on figuring out what is wrong and not just treating symptoms

Comment

Can't say for sure, but if the VA is like TRICARE (military retired) Medicare will be the first payer and VA would pick up any that Medicare doesn't cover.

Comment

Make sure you qualify for VA, i know a guy that "made to much money". He waited a couple years after selling his business and then qualified.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

I use the VA for all my health care. It’s not great, but better than nothing. They don’t have dental unless it’s service related, just a heads up. I don’t have any experience with Medicare.

Comment

V A told me There was a note in my file that said I hadn’t been re-evaluated for qualifying since I first applied. Then another one saying I had been approved. It was pertaining money so I asked them how my father in law, being a millionaire, qualified for V A benefits when he served the same four year enlistment as I did. They couldn’t answer.

Comment

I have always had good VA care in Dallas and Tyler.

Comment

My FIL has 100% disablility thru VA & medicare. He uses VA 95% of the time as it's easier to deal w/than Medicare (I take care of all his medical stuff so I feel this way). One time the VA was on divert (beds full) & he had to go to Harris Methodist. After going there, he got lined up thru them for a bypass surgery. Since he was referred there byt the VA, the VA paid 100% because Medicare was balking @ paying, even thought the procedure was 100% covered. Save the $4,800/yr & go w/VA & Medicare.

Comment

I'm in the Veterans Choice program....."Community Care"
                  Because, I live so far from any V.A. facility...……140 miles, round trip...………...
                  It's great, cause I can go to any civilian facility and the V.A. pays....
                  For the most part, the VA has been pretty good to me.....
                  There are, some great people working for the VA...………
                  And then...………...there are some complete idiots...………….

Comment

I'm rated 100% permanent and total with the VA. I'm also on Medicare. I kept my GEHA insurance when I retired from the federal gov't.

Medicare is primary and GEHA picks up everything else. I have zero out of pocket. I like being able to go to the doctors or hospital of my choice.

The VA misdiagnosed my coronary artery disease back in 2005. They put me on a treadmill and told me my heart was fine. One month later, I went to a private cardiologist and found out I was 90-95% blocked in my right coronary artery and 85-90% on the left side. Two stents later and all is well.

The VA provides most of my prescriptions for free and I use them for annual physicals. The VA has provided me with a CPAP machine and hearing aids.

Other than my heart issues, I've had good service from the VA.

Comment

The V A has always given me great service. I’m thinking of just working with Medicare and use VA when I can or need to.

Comment

Originally posted by Froggy View Post
                        I'm rated 100% permanent and total with the VA. I'm also on Medicare. I kept my GEHA insurance when I retired from the federal gov't.

Medicare is primary and GEHA picks up everything else. I have zero out of pocket. I like being able to go to the doctors or hospital of my choice.

The VA misdiagnosed my coronary artery disease back in 2005. They put me on a treadmill and told me my heart was fine. One month later, I went to a private cardiologist and found out I was 90-95% blocked in my right coronary artery and 85-90% on the left side. Two stents later and all is well.

The VA provides most of my prescriptions for free and I use them for annual physicals. The VA has provided me with a CPAP machine and hearing aids.

Other than my heart issues, I've had good service from the VA.
                        Did either do an angiogram/MRI/cath lab?

Comment

Originally posted by LFD2037 View Post
                          Did either do an angiogram/MRI/cath lab?
                          The VA did nothing but put me on a treadmill with an EKG. I had been referred to the Dallas VA by the VA clinic in Bridgeport after several years of complaining about erratic blood pressures. My PA there said "the VA is good about treating for a heart attack but not prevention". He suggested I go to a private cardiologist.

I'm glad I did. I feel he saved my life.

Shortly after a VA nurse in Dallas told me they were releasing me from the cardiac unit because I didn't have coronary artery disease. I replied "well what about the stents I had put in a few months ago?"

She replied, "Oh, you have stents?" I had given them all the records from my private cardiologists.

Comment

Sheesh, that's not good.
                            VA cardiologist said due to my FIL's medical history & age, he wanted to do an angiogram, which they found blockage but Harris did the actual procedure due to VA being backed up. It cost him $0 to have Harris do it instead of the VA seeing as the VA sent him to Harris. I had to do some phone work to make it happen but it finally got paid for.

Comment

I guess I’ll find out soon enough. It kicks in next month. The most disturb aspect t of Medicare is when I read that it will go up from 3-5% yearly. I’m wondering if a person can out live his Medicare benefits or do you start paying out of your savings? Will we even have savings if a wealth tax is implemented?

Comment

Working...
                              X