F3 NEOWISE Comet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

F3 NEOWISE Comet

Has anyone else been able to see the F3 NEOWISE comet?

While at the ranch this past weekend we got a great look at it. You can barely see it with the naked eye, but with binoculars you can see it really easy.

You have to wake up early right now to see it but beginning on the 15th you can see it after sundown.

In the morning you can see in the northeast sky about 10-15 degrees above the horizon. I woke up this past Saturday at 5AM looking for it. After looking for 30 minutes with no luck I pulled out the binoculars and found it in less than 1 min. It was very cool to see. After finding it with the binoculars and know where to look you can see it with your naked eye. I tried to get a picture of it with my cell phone but couldn't. Sunday AM there were clouds on the horizon so we could not see it.

Next weekend I plan to take a digital camera with a optical telephoto lens, praying for clear skies!

Here are a few articles:
    Kalana Lakshitha, of Lubbock, reached out to KCBD with an amazing photo of the Neowise Comet just before sunrise Wednesday, July 8.

The first picture below is the best picture I got with my phone. I circled the area where the comet was located. This picture was taken at 5:54AM
    Attached Files

Looked for it today. Couldn't see it. Tried to take a night mode picture to see if it would show, but nothing.

Did see about 4 coyote pups, though.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

From my driveway in Brazos Co. this morning. Will be transitioning to evening viewing. I had to look for it with sky binos to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill M View Post
        From my driveway in Brazos Co. this morning. Will be transitioning to evening viewing. I had to look for it with sky binos to find it.

that is a pretty darn good picture! how did you take that picture? with a phone or digital camera?

Comment

Appreciate it.

Digital camera, Sony a7RIII, Sony FE 100-400 f4.5-5.6 GM OSS, 400mm, f5.6, .6s exposure, ISO 1600

Comment

Can see it pretty well with binos in the backyard. Last night, the wife and I drove out about 10 minutes; darker, higher elevation... pulled over, shut off the headlights, waited for our eyes to adjust.

Found the Big Dipper immediately... and she was like a little kid, "OOO there it IS....OMG!!!"

Pretty cool, considering once it's gone... it won't be back for another 7,000 years.

Comment

Cool

Comment

I finally saw it last night after a few unsuccessful attempts. I had planned to shoot a startrail and actually caught it on camera when doing some exposure tests prior to the startrail. The trail was visible to the naked eye intermittently and was easy to see with cheap binoculars.

Here's two versions of the same photo; both have camera settings and the second one is annotated with a slight enlargement of the comet.

If the skies are clear tonight I'll probably try again. Now that I know where it is I would like different focal lengths and shutter speeds.

Comment

We saw it with the naked eye on Friday night. We tried again last night and did not see it.

Comment

I have looked for it here in Cypress but too much light pollution. Need to get out away from town.
                    Last edited by WRasco; 07-19-2020, 11:53 AM.

Comment

I am going to be at the ranch in San Saba for the next few days. what time is it visible & looking at pics, I should look below big dipper?
                      Thanks!

Comment

I saw it best around 10:30 - 11:00PM. To me it looked about 1/3 of the way up between the horizon and the Big Dipper.

Comment

Thanks Commander!!

Comment

Seeing it pretty good here in Mansfield tonight. No way to get a decent picture though.

Comment

Just had a look...the tail was more visible than the comet itself where I'm at (Ingram/Kerrville).

Comment

Working...
                              X