Best Way to get a CDL?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Way to get a CDL?

I'm looking to change careers and thinking about hitting the road. What is the best way to go about getting a CDL? What is the fastest way? Fast and best may not go together on this. Is it worth testing in a standard vs automatic? I would appreciate any and all advise. I'm sick of oil and gas.

Good luck amigo. I've thought about doing the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by bigblock78 View Post
      Good luck amigo. I've thought about doing the same thing.
      Thank you!

Comment

Many moons ago I went to a driving school that was only 3 weeks.

I would test in an automatic truck if possible, less to go wrong.

Comment

You looking big rig or cdl hot shot ? You can do some CDL course online then do campus driving training

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
            You looking big rig or cdl hot shot ? You can do some CDL course online then do campus driving training
            Big rig.

Comment

If you test in an automatic, then you are only qualified to drive an automatic.
              Learn to drive a manual and then you can drive either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

^exactly this. I was lucky Halliburton paid for me to get it all done. Good luck

Comment

Rent a truck from CDL Express (small truck/trailer auto trans)Houston area
                  Study for the test and make an appointment at DPS and go for it.
                  No hill for a stepper! Good Luck!

Comment

If you don’t mind OTR, there are several companies that will train you for your CDL in return for working for them for a set period of time.

One of the biggest hurdles with the CDL test is the pre-trip inspection. You really want to nail that without any errors so you can use your errors during the driving portion.

The great thing about schools or training companies is your getting hands on practice.

They really only teach you how to pass the test. You don’t learn to drive until you start actually driving for a living.

Comment

Originally posted by CabezaBlanca View Post
                      Big rig.
                      Victoria College has a truck driving program. You should give them a call and find out the details. RI is not far from Victoria

Comment

Originally posted by WyoBull View Post

I did not know this... definitely don't want to take the test in an automatic as it would limit where you could work.

Comment

Originally posted by WyoBull View Post

Heard an older driver on Michael Berry say this is the first advice he gave his son. Said most of the young guys can only drive automatic.

Comment

I can't offer much help on the training part as I received all my training on the job. I know most community colleges have a truck program and there are a ton of independent programs out there that will train you also. I would only test in a manual truck. The less restrictions on your license the better. As someone said above the pre trip is definitely the worst part of getting your cdl but any training program should have you ready for that.

Comment

I can drive a stick and have actually driven a 10 speed rig before. I just didn't know if everyone was moving to automatics or not. Sounds like the manual trans test is the way to go.

Comment

Working...
                              X