Let’s talk trucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sharkhunter View Post
    Dale what are you diving now ? I was thinking on going up to a 3/4 ton but not sure I really need to. I do pull a tractor but it’s only a mid size.
    I'm in a '17 3500 SRW Duramax.

Comment

My ram made it to 176,000 miles and it had around $8,000 in repairs. Only gave me $4,000 for a trade in. Truck was only getting 17mpg or so 2wd. My guess is it was running on 7 cylinders again so MPG difference from a 2wd to 4x4 tundra is 1-1.5.

Picked up a Tundra 3 weeks ago and couldn't be happier. Has less stuff in it to go wrong and feels like it just wants to work for a long time. Also Tow Haul is no joke in this thing, i feel i could tow a goosneck when its on its crazy.

Test drove a ford ecoboost and yes it was fast but just didnt feel as well built to me. Also turbo with a 150,000 mile lifespan doesnt sound cheap to replace.

Comment

Originally posted by scott.str View Post
        My ram made it to 176,000 miles and it had around $8,000 in repairs. Only gave me $4,000 for a trade in. Truck was only getting 17mpg or so 2wd. My guess is it was running on 7 cylinders again so MPG difference from a 2wd to 4x4 tundra is 1-1.5.

Picked up a Tundra 3 weeks ago and couldn't be happier. Has less stuff in it to go wrong and feels like it just wants to work for a long time. Also Tow Haul is no joke in this thing, i feel i could tow a goosneck when its on its crazy.

Test drove a ford ecoboost and yes it was fast but just didnt feel as well built to me. Also turbo with a 150,000 mile lifespan doesnt sound cheap to replace.
        Beast mode is fun .
        Mine stays in T/H, in S5, 99% of the time.
        S6 only if it's a long flat stretch and I'm using cruise.
        Best MPG, & the cleanest oil in all the scenarios I've ran it in.
        Average MPG over 150k, 11.9 .
        She's always loaded down and working though.

Comment

After over 12 years from my first Tundra and ZERO major issues and nearly 445K miles...…….I bought another one 5 months ago! Gas mileage would not stop me from buying another one when this one gets 400K on it.

Comment

FYI the new 10 speeds in the GM trucks are the exact same 10 speed in the Fords minus the bell housing and torque converter. This is true for the 1/2 ton and 3/4 & 1 ton. I heard a pod cast with the guys from Revmax and they said that on the parts there is a GM part number and a Ford part number.

Comment

Originally posted by Easttxbowman View Post
              Ford or Toyota.
              I have an f150 with the 2.7 ecoboost 6sp. If I creep going to work in Alabama I have seen 26mpg on the dash with stock configuration (likely a touch less if hand calculated), consistently see 22 mixed with a 1.5 level and 33" mud tires, giant back seat, IMO the best 4x4 of any maker and the aluminum helps big time off road. That said, the absolute only other truck I was considering when buying was a tundra. The chug fuel but are reliable and have great resale and there is no denying that.

When I had my leather installed the dealer loaner was the 2.7 2 wd. When I got home I had to pop the hood and see was under it as I was impressed with it’s power and drivability. Miles per gallon wasn’t shabby either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have an F150 with the 5.0 V8 and it's been great. No complaints. Pulls my 21ft bass boat well also.

Comment

Ford f150 . and a 3.5 ecoboost engine ! greatest truck I have ever owned!I told myself I would never get a v6 engine until they sent me home with one to try haha

Comment

As long as we're putting turbos on stuff at the factory, lets start putting turbos on V8s!

I think when I go back to gas, I'm gonna go with an aftermarket super charger....or turbo if someone has a decent setup.
                    Last edited by Dale Moser; 05-18-2020, 01:34 PM.

Comment

1/2 ton: Ford 5.0 or Tyota
                      or
                      Ram Cummins or 7.3 gas Ford if you decide to go bigboy.

Comment

The Ford V-6 turbo is pretty impressive. I am a GM guy but I like the feel of the new Fords. I like the Diesel 1/2 ton Ram as well. Neighbor has one and pulls his 28ft camper frequently. They are surprisingly quiet and has a decent amount of power.

Comment

Been a Chevy guy all my life. Last two Chevy = transmission issues, rear end issues. Last Chevy transmission rebuilt last July 2019. Went out again this past March. Out of warranty - barely. Had enough.

Bought a Ford and will give it a try. Would have considered a Tundra but the horrible gas mileage kept me away as well as the fact that they have not updated truck in a decade. If the Ford craps out and Toyota has actually updated their truck and improved gas mileage by that time, may give it a try. Hear nothing but good things about Toyota reliability.

So far pretty impressed with the F150 ride and interior

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                            As long as we're putting turbos on stuff at the factory, lets start putting turbos on V8s!

I think when I go back to gas, I'm gonna go with an aftermarket super charger....or turbo if someone has a decent setup.
                            Whipple is strapping a 3 liter supercharger on Ford's 7.3 motor. Going to be an absolute monster.

For comparison, a Hellcat is a 6.2 liter motor and has a 2.4 liter supercharger, and is at 717 hp.

Comment

Originally posted by sharkhunter View Post
                              I’m going to be in the market for a new truck in a couple of months. I pull a Small boat and a 16ft trailer at times. A 4x4 is a must. I’ve had GM products my whole life but I’m tired of the transmission issues. Of the last three GMC trucks I’ve had I’ve put in 6 transmissions. I’m just done with GM for now. How are the Fords and Dodge heavy half tons holding up for y’all ?
                              I was in the same boat but I heard the same thing from everyone, get the 6.2 with the ten speed. This year Chevy put the 10 speed in the trail boss models with a 5.3. A co-worker and I both have the LT model and they are the smoothest shifting 1500 I've driven of the big three. Jury is still out but we put a lot of miles on them for work and so far so good.

Comment

I recently bought a 2020 Ford F150 4 WD with the V6 and twin turbos. So far so good. Plenty of power. Even with a 6" lift and bigger tires and rims.

Comment

Working...
                                X