No announcement yet.

Lake Meredith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I still need to get a pack before my hunt. I have a pack I use for backpacking but don’t know if I want to use it to carry out meat if I were to get something. I guess I’m not that overly concerned with blood stains on the pack but just don’t think it is ideal for carrying meat out. Thinking about just picking up one of those alps packs off Amazon.

Comment

Originally posted by RShockley View Post
      I still need to get a pack before my hunt. I have a pack I use for backpacking but don’t know if I want to use it to carry out meat if I were to get something. I guess I’m not that overly concerned with blood stains on the pack but just don’t think it is ideal for carrying meat out. Thinking about just picking up one of those alps packs off Amazon.

Check out militaryluggagecompany . com as well. They have a ton of packs that could fit any need or preference. No commercial camo options though. But multicam works great in just about any environment...

Comment

Originally posted by RShockley View Post
        Check out Eberlestock. I have the j34 it’s been pretty good so far.
        Shop Eberlestock J34 Just One Backpack | 4.7 Star Rating on 6 Reviews for Eberlestock J34 Just One Backpack Best Rated + Free Shipping over $49.

Comment

I have the popup pack. Great day and meat hauling pack. Very tough packs. Metcalf will be you everything bag.

Comment

how are the water levels with all the recent rain? Has the water made it back to Evans canyon?

Comment

water just barely to the west side of Evans. was also at the canadian river this weekend, still plenty of water headed towards lake meredith.

Comment

Game warden was checking everyone this weekend. Don't forget your hunting license!

If your hunters ed # is printed on your license you do not need the hunters ed cert.

Comment

Weird, not many hunters out opening day. Literally only saw 4 other hunters, last year there were dozens. I was at lower plum creek and did see a darn thing. Had a blast though and got some great exercise. Anyone else get to go out? Maybe the crowd is waiting for mule deer opener.

Comment

Probably just waiting for Mule Deer. I am planning on getting up there around Thanksgiving.

Comment

I’ve seen many posts about folks carrying water to camp in the backcountry...correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t camping other than the designated campings areas illegal? I haven’t hunted up there but I’m interested and I would like a clarification on the rule. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by scott.sewall View Post
                        I’ve seen many posts about folks carrying water to camp in the backcountry...correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t camping other than the designated campings areas illegal? I haven’t hunted up there but I’m interested and I would like a clarification on the rule. Thanks

Camping in the backcountry is allowed. You just can't have a fire in the backcountry. You will need to bring a backpack stove if you are wanting hot food.

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieWhiskey View Post

If I may, what brand is that orange pack cover you have? I’ve been looking for something like this, to do exactly what you’re doing with it here, but I don’t know what they’re called so my search came up empty.[/QUOTE]

This is a badlands 2200 pack. I love this thing. I’ve packed 1 muley and 2 whitetail bucks out this year with it.

Comment

anyone going to be out this weekend to hunt this front coming in Monday? can't decide to hunt Saturday or Sunday.

Saturday is going to be really windy, +25mph.
                            Sunday is cooler with less wind, +15mph.

Thinking Sunday is going to see more movement.

Comment

Heading up there Friday for the Muley opener thru Tuesday. I wish it had opened this weekend! Family place in east Texas showed a ton of wildlife movement today, and my boss’s ranch in cisco was even better Thursday/Friday. I’m surprised to see that there’s not more water, but I’m sure by the time I get there Martins and Evans will both have water in the floor. Hopefully that keeps the numbers down a little, or at least limits movement to where it’s not the public land equivalent of a demolition derby all over the canyons...

Say there is water up in the canyons pretty good, is it as salty or sedimentary as the main lake? Or could a guy actually be successful in filtering it out without burning through filter cartridges?

Comment

Sounds like the area is getting a decent amount of snow right now.

Comment

Working...
                                X