Let's talk Prostate Cancer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's talk Prostate Cancer

How do you know when you have prostate cancer? Well, you can wait until you have symtoms or you can have a simple bloodwork screening test to check your PSA level.You may not notice any symptoms until it has metastisized (spread). With early detection, while still contained in the gland, there are several options to cure it. If not caught early, it can metasticize and spread to your lymphnodes, bladder, rectum, bones, and other parts of your body; not good at all!

Symtoms:
    Trouble urinating, pain when urinating
    Decreased force in the stream of urine
    Blood in semen
    Incontenance, both urinary and bowels
    Discomfort in the pelvic area
    Bone pain
    Inability to arrow big bucks
    Hip or back pain
    Stomach pain
    Erectile dysfunction

If you are a male over 45, especially an African-American male (who are twice as prone to prostate cancer), you should have your PSA checked through blood labwork. Your doctor can advise on how often to have it checked after that, but certainly every few years.

20 years ago at age 51 I was diagnosed with prostate cancer via a blood workup performed as a promise to my brother-in-law who had the dreaded disease. I assured him I would have it checked, never dreaming that I would have cancer. Other people get cancer, not me . Usually PC is a slow growing form of cancer and fairly easy to treat IF caught early. Mine was advance rapidly but contained to the gland. The doc did a radical prostatectemy (removed the whole dang thang with some surrounding tissue margin to be certain) and felt comfortable that he got it all; did not feel the need to follow up with radiation or chemo. I went back to him every 3-6 months for several years to double check, and got a clean bill of health every time until he finally said he didn't need to see me anymore. I have been thankful for 20 years that I did not have to worry about PC anymore...until...

Last summer my new primary care doctor ran my bloodwork. I was mostly concerned with my cholesterol and A1C, never even realized he would check my PSA. Well, it was 22.5 (anything 4 or more is a concern)! Went to a urologist (mine had retired), and my PSA had risen to 28.9, 6 weeks after the 22.5 reading! After 20 years, my cancer had returned! No way! WAY!!!

I took a female hormone shot plus 30 hormone pills to slow the growth down, then started radiation. I am now having hot flashes from the hormones, and my boobs are probably going to rival Caitlyn Jenner's . I have finished #19 of the 35 radiation treatments, and my oncologist assures me I can be cured. Other than the hot flashes, messed up bowel movements and burning urination, I am fine and haven't lost an hour of sleep over this. I DID miss a tuner trip though !!!

You guys get your PSA checked...regularly!
    Last edited by Burnadell; 11-11-2018, 05:44 PM.

Stay strong! Keep doing what they tell you and thank you for talking about this to all of us......

Comment

KCA you got this Randy.

Comment

Man, Im wishing you the best. I was diagnosed at age 50, 16years ago. Had radiation seeds. . 86 of them. Been clean ever since thank God.

Comment

Just a warning from my experience with prostate cancer. My PSA was normal (1.4) but my doctor felt something unusual with the rectal finger exam. After biopsy was confirmed that I had prostate cancer. I had PSA and digital exam every year. My cancer scored a Gleason score of 7, which meant we had to do something fast. Had robotic prostatectomy surgery. I had some other issues following surgery which I won't bore all with.
          My point is if you are over 50, you need to get an annual PSA test AND a digital rectum prostate exam.
          Do It.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
            Man, Im wishing you the best. I was diagnosed at age 50, 16years ago. Had radiation seeds. . 86 of them. Been clean ever since thank God.
            Good on ya! Just be sure to have that PSA checkedevery couple of yers.

When I had my surgery 20 years ago, the Brachytheraphy treatments did not yet have enough history for my urologist and me to be comfortable that it was better than totally removing the gland with the cancer contained...or so we thought.

Comment

Round to for myself. Had mine removed all is good for 15 years. Started inching up. Have had the chest and Pelvic scans, tomorrow for the bone scan. The 26th of Nov. meeting with the Doc. They have come light years from 15 years ago. You can not go wrong with MD Anderson.
              As quoted don't screw around and not get your PSA checked, everyone has it its just when will it come active. Family history

Comment

Prayers sent Randy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Prayers up Burnadell! KCA! We need you around this joint to keep folks in line!

Comment

Stick with it, sir. Glad you got on top of it.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Comment

Prayers up

Comment

Prayers up, friend. My FIL is dealing with exactly the same thing right now. He’s old as hell, like you, too.[emoji6]. Cancer sucks, but if you gotta get it, the Prostate is pretty curable. You’ll be in my prayers, Randy, and if you need anything besides a second opinion I’m just a phone call away.

Comment

Inability to arrow big bucks. Lol. Thanks for bringing a little humor to a serious subject and thanks for sharing. Will be praying for you Randy!

Comment

Dang it....prayers for ya Randy. KCA my friend!!

Comment

Prayers up!

KAC!!!

Bisch

Comment

Working...
                              X