This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rush2Judge View Post
    No one is arguing the branding didn’t happen. But that is not where the name came from. Sorry to disappoint but, it is documented in a newspaper article in 1916 where the new mascot was referred to as Bevo. And as for the serving of Bevo for dinner? Again not like you want to believe. The steer was actually served to both teams at their joint meal. Back in the day, both schools shared a meal. But don’t let facts get in the way of a good story.

I’m not disappointed, just adding a pic for reference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
      No no no, the 12th man is the crowd. Nevermind them going berzerk on Seattle for using it for their crowd.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
      Its trademarked. What's the point in having a trademark of you dont defend it.

I'm sure you horn boys can trademark "cocks not glocks" if you hurry up. [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

I just signed up for the free trial at the athletic. Doug Haller is a beat writer for ASU and he just joined their team. I have read some of the articles and they are solid but I am not convinced it will be worth it year round. How is their off season cfb coverage? Does anyone else have a better site they use for cfb coverage? Besides this thread

Comment

Now y’all are arguing over a mascot name!? [emoji849] some of y’all are like the annoying kids that just argue the whole car ride, and cause others a headache. Give it a rest can we get some injury updates, suspensions, predictions, new starters announced he’ll anything besides this dumb A bickering?

Comment

Originally posted by thegrouse View Post
            I just signed up for the free trial at the athletic. Doug Haller is a beat writer for ASU and he just joined their team. I have read some of the articles and they are solid but I am not convinced it will be worth it year round. How is their off season cfb coverage? Does anyone else have a better site they use for cfb coverage? Besides this thread
            I don't have any subscriptions, but have friends with them. They really like The Athletic. I am not sure how CFB specific it is outside of the beat writer for each school.

I stay away from the $9.95's for a fan base cause all they do is pander to their fan base with what they want to hear. Every recruiting trip was a "home run" and every player "make huge strides in the off season, going to the NFL". There is no credibility or accountability with those guys so they just make up whatever they want and hope 20% of it sticks, but their fans eat up 100%.

Comment

Horns 23-20 over the Trojans

Comment

Texas 3
                USC 0

Comment

I am not trying to stir up the masses but is it just me or do others notice that TH seems extremely nervous and lacks confidence when dealing with the media. I hope that he exhibits more confidence to his players when coaching. On the other hand, Sam Ehlinger has the swagger and confidence of a leader and if he stays healthy, will be a good one.
                  Adios,
                  Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Brock Middlebrook View Post
                    Texas 3
                    USC 0

Sadly, this is probably in the ballpark.

Comment

Originally posted by Heath View Post
                      I don't have any subscriptions, but have friends with them. They really like The Athletic. I am not sure how CFB specific it is outside of the beat writer for each school.

I stay away from the $9.95's for a fan base cause all they do is pander to their fan base with what they want to hear. Every recruiting trip was a "home run" and every player "make huge strides in the off season, going to the NFL". There is no credibility or accountability with those guys so they just make up whatever they want and hope 20% of it sticks, but their fans eat up 100%.
                      Yes this is what I was hoping to avoid also. I was looking for some good in depth coverage of cfb and I am hoping this works out.

Comment

Bangs head on table...

Nice avatar pick DG... Hope they have a good season.

Comment

Big 12 teams are 0-11 in Jerry's World against ranked non conference teams...
                          tOSU....38
                          tcu.......13

Comment

Originally posted by Sticks&Strings View Post
                            Its trademarked. What's the point in having a trademark of you dont defend it.

I'm sure you horn boys can trademark "cocks not glocks" if you hurry up. [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
                            So it's not the student that wears 12 and plays on soecial teams. It's the crowd.

Seattle was right.

Got it. [emoji108]

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
                              Geaux Tigahs!!!
                              Offensive line folds like a cheap tent.
                              Prove me wrong.

Aubie 24
                              Lsu 16
                              They will get some starters back on the OL this week. Jordan Hare is a tuff place to play but LSU 17-AU-16.

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
                                So it's not the student that wears 12 and plays on soecial teams. It's the crowd.

Seattle was right.

Got it. [emoji108]

"The 12th Man" has always referred to the student section, which remains standing during the game to indicate their willingness to serve when called.

On Jan. 2, 1922, the heavily outgunned Aggies were facing the top-ranked Centre College Praying Colonels on the gridiron in the Dixie Classic in Dallas. An Aggie by the name of E. King Gill, a squad player for Texas A&M’s football team, was up in the press box helping reporters identify players on the field below — and what was happening on the field wasn’t pretty.
                                The Aggies found themselves plagued by injuries, with their reserves seemingly dwindling with every play. As Texas A&M Coach Dana X. Bible looked across his rapidly emptying bench, he suddenly remembered Gill’s presence in the stands. Bible waved Gill down to the sideline and told him to suit up. Gill ran under the bleachers and put on the uniform of injured running back Heine Weir, who had been knocked out of the game in the first quarter.
                                Gill returned to the sideline, where he stood ready to play for the entirety of the game. When the last play was run, the Aggies found that they had pulled off one of the greatest upsets in college football history, winning the game 22-14.
                                And Gill remained standing, the only player left on the team’s bench.
                                Gill’s willingness to serve his team in 1922 has passed down from generation to generation of Aggies for more than nine decades, as Texas A&M’s student section stands together during entire football and basketball games, a symbol of the 12th Man on the team.
                                The power of the 12th Man is echoed in the unity, the loyalty, and the willingness of Aggies to serve when called to so. And it is the reason that Texas A&M has earned a name that embraces Gill’s simple gesture of service: Home of the 12th Man.
                                The 12th Man Kickoff Team was created by Jackie Sherrill in the 80's to further honor the 12th Man tradition. Originally the team was made up entirely of walk-ons.

"I knew that I could find, out of 40-some-odd thousand students, 11 guys that would cover kickoffs, but have no regard for their body and be tough as nails," Sherrill said. "I just knew it would work."
                                During the Slocum era, the 12th Man Kickoff Team gave up the first TD in several years and Slocum modified the team to have one walk on, who wears the number 12, to represent the 12th Man.
                                My Flickr Photos

Comment

Working...
                                X