Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ANYONE still trying to grow Huge NATIVE Low Fence Whitetails???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Regular7 View Post
    Hey Mexico, sent you a pm
    Returned

Comment

I commend the guys that do it the “hard” it’s 10x the satisfaction granted i don’t own/lease a huge ranch, but i hold steady to 5.5+ and next year may go to 6.5+ (extremely hard in etx). These native deer don’t get their respect imo I’ve grown several good deer over the years, and grew a buck that could’ve pushed the typical archer book record for the state. It can be done but no one likes slow hard processes. We’re in a caffeinated world that wants instant results.

Comment

Originally posted by drop dead fred View Post
        I commend the guys that do it the “hard” it’s 10x the satisfaction granted i don’t own/lease a huge ranch, but i hold steady to 5.5+ and next year may go to 6.5+ (extremely hard in etx). These native deer don’t get their respect imo I’ve grown several good deer over the years, and grew a buck that could’ve pushed the typical archer book record for the state. It can be done but no one likes slow hard processes. We’re in a caffeinated world that wants instant results.
        GREAT GREAT post bubba... couldn't agree more...

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
          4 hunters on 100 acres you’re definitely on the wrong post!
          Lololololol

1pin- you should be able to start your own thread and get more replies and answers

Comment

Originally posted by 1PinWonder View Post
            Hey everyone,

I'm traveling to Lampasas tomorrow to hunt for the weekend, first hunt being tomorrow evening. I'm coming from Northeast Texas and the hill country is a bit of a different ball game. Me and one hunter in my party are experienced bow hunters, however the other 2 have never gotten a bow kill, one of which has never shot anything period. This is a fairly pricey trip and I'm looking for any tips/tactics or anything that might increase chances of success. place is north of lampasas on 281, low fenced, 100 acres, 4 feeders, 2 bow stands meaning 2 of us will have to build brush blinds, hence my concern (for the others, not me), also a tad bit concerned with the likelihood of rain.

-How early is "too" early for doe urine.
            -also I've read a few places saying to "tickle" rattling horns together early season, some say that's a horrible idea. what's y'all's take?

Thanks in advance.
            4 guys on 100 acres low fence with Huge Natives?
            I would be putting together a deer drive for sure.

Comment

I bought a section of land last year in north Texas. My place and the place next door were both for sale at the same time and leased out to about 10 guys between the two. The place next door to me sold a couple of weeks after mine. I think the lease hunters shot every deer that was 4 and up while the place was for sale because we had next to no mature deer year 1.

I started talking with the new neighbor and he's a bow hunter, wants to grow big deer, and is the only one hunting his place. So we paired up and started sharing pics and agreed to not shoot young deer.

I then went and leased another 400 acres next to us. Then ended up meeting the neighbor on my other side who is leasing 1280 acres . We are now sharing pics and talking about any bucks before they are shot.

So in total we are right at 3,000 acres between the three of us. We didn't shoot a single trophy buck last year. Myself and the neighbor that owns his place fed about 22,000 pounds of protein this year. Our first year to do so and the deer took to it well. We didn't shoot any trophy bucks last year and I doubt we will this year either. It will take some time to reestablish the upper age class. On camera this year you can already notice a difference because there are 4 year olds everywhere whereas last year we had just a few 4 year old and up deer. Going from 10 guns looking for a "trophy" to a couple of guys not in a hurry to shoot anything helps a lot.

This next off season the focus is on water. While we fed the heck out of protein, this summer's drought showed me just how easy it is to run out of water. 2 out of my 4 tanks went dry and the other 2 were just about dry when this rainy streak that we are on started. Next year there will be water stations all over the ranch and eventually I'll have some more tanks dug and they will be deeeeeep. I'll continue to feed protein.

Age, food and water will be my focus. Oh and killing pigs. I hate pigs.

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin' Darts View Post
                I bought a section of land last year in north Texas. My place and the place next door were both for sale at the same time and leased out to about 10 guys between the two. The place next door to me sold a couple of weeks after mine. I think the lease hunters shot every deer that was 4 and up while the place was for sale because we had next to no mature deer year 1.

I started talking with the new neighbor and he's a bow hunter, wants to grow big deer, and is the only one hunting his place. So we paired up and started sharing pics and agreed to not shoot young deer.

I then went and leased another 400 acres next to us. Then ended up meeting the neighbor on my other side who is leasing 1280 acres . We are now sharing pics and talking about any bucks before they are shot.

So in total we are right at 3,000 acres between the three of us. We didn't shoot a single trophy buck last year. Myself and the neighbor that owns his place fed about 22,000 pounds of protein this year. Our first year to do so and the deer took to it well. We didn't shoot any trophy bucks last year and I doubt we will this year either. It will take some time to reestablish the upper age class. On camera this year you can already notice a difference because there are 4 year olds everywhere whereas last year we had just a few 4 year old and up deer. Going from 10 guns looking for a "trophy" to a couple of guys not in a hurry to shoot anything helps a lot.

This next off season the focus is on water. While we fed the heck out of protein, this summer's drought showed me just how easy it is to run out of water. 2 out of my 4 tanks went dry and the other 2 were just about dry when this rainy streak that we are on started. Next year there will be water stations all over the ranch and eventually I'll have some more tanks dug and they will be deeeeeep. I'll continue to feed protein.

You'll grow monsters, this is the exact managment practice that it takes to turn an average place into something special. I bet in 2 years you'll have deer that before you only dreamed of!! Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

There is a guy on another forum, Brett Holden, that is growing a ton of native low fence monsters.
                  He does the same thing as you, age and mucho nutrition.

Comment

Originally posted by bukkskin View Post
                    There is a guy on another forum, Brett Holden, that is growing a ton of native low fence monsters.
                    He does the same thing as you, age and mucho nutrition.
                    wish we could hear a little about their nutrition program.... is there any info on it out there?

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin' Darts View Post

that sounds like a great start, i hope it works out for you guys and congrats on the land, thats freaking awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
                        wish we could hear a little about their nutrition program.... is there any info on it out there?
                        Yeah, just Google it.
                        All they can eat pellets and cottonseed and let them get to 10 or 12 yrs old before ya shoot.
                        That's what I got out of it.

Comment

We try to but with 10 to 8 year old grandsons it hard. Dad's are doing a great job.

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
                            wish we could hear a little about their nutrition program.... Is there any info on it out there?
                            lolololololololol

Comment

Originally posted by Grayson View Post
                              lolololololololol

Comment

Yep. I have 21 acres in Leon County. I've been pouring the corn all over. Average buck has increased from 90" to 100" in 5 years. Hopefully I can get a P&Y before I'm too old to draw a bow.

Comment

Working...
                                X