Private Pilots License

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Private Pilots License

Really toying with the idea of becoming a private pilot, my dad was always pretty big in planes and I've always loved to fly. I'm sure there are several pilots on here, I don't know if I am better off trying to find an independent instructor or go with a typical flight school. I've heard from several people in the past that lots of flight instructors will help you get licensed for the cost of their fuel simply because it gives them someone to fly with and builds their hours as well. Of course I don't know anyone like this personally.

After the storm in the gulf settles down I think I may take a discovery flight out of the airport here in Conroe and see what I think.

Any input from someone who has finished their license or is currently working towards it would be appreciated.

Ken

It's on my short to do list!

Comment

Originally posted by Luckyhunter View Post
      Really toying with the idea of becoming a private pilot, my dad was always pretty big in planes and I've always loved to fly. I'm sure there are several pilots on here, I don't know if I am better off trying to find an independent instructor or go with a typical flight school. I've heard from several people in the past that lots of flight instructors will help you get licensed for the cost of their fuel simply because it gives them someone to fly with and builds their hours as well. Of course I don't know anyone like this personally.

After the storm in the gulf settles down I think I may take a discovery flight out of the airport here in Conroe and see what I think.

Any input from someone who has finished their license or is currently working towards it would be appreciated.

Ken
      My Fiancee just started hers in Beaumont. She is using a private instructor and is really starting to enjoy it. She was a little nervous at first but she has only flown for about 8 hours and said it easier and easier each time she goes. I'm not sure how much fuel they burn but the flying instruction is $55/hour and plane rental is $150/hour.

Comment

As soon as she is licensed and we muster up the money to buy a plane I plan on getting mine as well.

Comment

Originally posted by johnpaul View Post
          My Fiancee just started hers in Beaumont. She is using a private instructor and is really starting to enjoy it. She was a little nervous at first but she has only flown for about 8 hours and said it easier and easier each time she goes. I'm not sure how much fuel they burn but the flying instruction is $55/hour and plane rental is $150/hour.
          Can you give us some details.

Comment

A Buddy in Katy area just finished his pilot license and is now working on the next level of license. He ended up finding an instructor at the local airport there in Katy and got it all done there. He joined the local pilot club there and they had a fleet of planes they could sign up and take out. He ended up buying a plane with a couple of the pilots in the club and they have it in the hangar at the airport. He loves it and now flies to clients all over the state.

Comment

Originally posted by eaglegolfj View Post
              Can you give us some details.
              Details on? The instructors name?

Comment

Ken
                One thing I always tell people is to make sure you have the time to dedicate to it. It is time consuming and can get a little costly but if you only fly 1-2 hours a week it can really drag out especially when weather starts getting involved.

Comment

Originally posted by johnpaul View Post
                  Details on? The instructors name?
                  I didn't know anyone was still doing training out of the Beaumont airport if you don't mind sharing the information on the instructor. I use KUSA at Jack Brooks

Comment

Originally posted by keestan31 View Post
                    I didn't know anyone was still doing training out of the Beaumont airport if you don't mind sharing the information on the instructor. I use KUSA at Jack Brooks
                    Cory Hays is the instructors name

Comment

this TBH'er was a member for only a short time and hasn't posted since 2011

2006 Columbia 400, they are made by Cessna now called Corvalis tt

Comment

Originally posted by keestan31 View Post
                        One thing I always tell people is to make sure you have the time to dedicate to it. It is time consuming and can get a little costly but if you only fly 1-2 hours a week it can really drag out especially when weather starts getting involved.

I will be doing my last half ironman (for a while) next month so that will free up lots of time for me. Hopefully I can log 4-6 hours a week, I currently train 16-20 so I'll still come out ahead.

I have thought a lot about purchasing a Cessna 150 or 172 if I can find one at the right price to save the money of renting, I just haven't found what I'm looking for yet.

Comment

I will be doing my last half ironman (for a while) next month so that will free up lots of time for me. Hopefully I can log 4-6 hours a week, I currently train 16-20 so I'll still come out ahead.

I have thought a lot about purchasing a Cessna 150 or 172 if I can find one at the right price to save the money of renting, I just haven't found what I'm looking for yet.
                          We have a lot in common. I've done several 'halves' plus a bunch of shorter distance tri's and I've been passionate about aviation for a long time. The link to all the private pilot threads above is good and educational reading. Take a look. I'll repeat what I say every time I see one of these threads and that is do not stop till you get an instrument rating!!! Beyond that I can elaborate ad nauseam.

I fly into KCXO all the time. Maybe our paths will cross.

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
                            this TBH'er was a member for only a short time and hasn't posted since 2011

2006 Columbia 400, they are made by Cessna now called Corvalis tt
                            Looks like a guy I know, is his first name Rob ?

Comment

Working...
                            X