Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 03-06-2019, 10:01 AM   #1
Hoggslayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: My Truck at night.
Default I need a crash course on Turkey hunting.

My daughter got drawn for a TYHP turkey hunt. She's all dialed in with here bow, but Dad has never been turkey hunting. I'm hoping it will be guided like the last TYHP hunt she went on, but I'm not sure. Any special broadhead, call or decoy advice would be appreciated. Anyone ever take there kid on on of these TYHP turkey hunts?
Attached Images

Hoggslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-06-2019, 10:06 AM   #2
rudedog47
Four Point

Hunt In: Menard County

fixed broadhead, wide cut....slate call.....go on line and listen to sounds....a little practice.....turkeys are very wary....can see and hear extremely well....but in the spring are pretty gullible....any hen decoy will work...good luck
rudedog47 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-06-2019, 10:13 AM   #3
Bassdeer
Ten Point

Get yourself a push button call, Less calling is more. The call is not loud and it doesn't have to be, they can hear a long way off. I have kill more turkey's with a push button call then any other. Crow call is a good locator call if you have to find them in the morning. Hit the crow call before daylight.

Last edited by Bassdeer; 03-06-2019 at 10:18 AM.
Bassdeer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-06-2019, 10:14 AM   #4
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

Most TYHP will have a guide with you. Just shoot straight.

Contact the huntmaster and see if the guides will be calling them in for you or if it's DIY

Good luck.

Last edited by AntlerCollector; 03-06-2019 at 10:20 AM.
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-06-2019, 10:14 AM   #5
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

Take a shotgun if you are new. Call less than you want to and sit longer than you think you need to before moving.
glen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-06-2019, 10:17 AM   #6
Jcjohnson
Ten Point

Hunt In: Burke, Thompson, Lincolnton

If possible roost them the night before. Go out right before dark try to avoid turkey calls to get them to gobble. Owl hoot or crow call or what ever will make them sound off. Go in early don’t get too close and be quiet. Don’t over call use the KISS method don’t over think calling. Use something simple your comfortable working. Ground blinds are worth there weight in gold bow hunting turkeys

Last edited by Jcjohnson; 03-06-2019 at 10:23 AM.
Jcjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-06-2019, 10:41 AM   #7
K. Lane
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kendall County Texas

I would use a feeding hen decoy or 2....(head down feeding decoys) and a jake decoy behind them looking towards you. I would not set them up at you max range either, I would set them up 10-15 yards inside your max range in case that mature Tom hangs up short....if he hangs up short and your dekes are at your max range then he is out of range but if hangs up short of the dekes but they are inside your max range...chances are he is hung up but hung up in range.
I also agree with the push button call and keep it to a minimum. If you decide to use a manual call, I'd go with a diaphragm call and learn to just do a few basic calls....simply because it requires no movement with your hands like a slate or box call does. Like was said earlier.....THEM SUNNY BEACHES CAN SURE ENOUGH SEE!!!!
K. Lane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-06-2019, 10:46 AM   #8
quarterback
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Beware the lead hen. It's her job to bust you. And she will.
quarterback is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-06-2019, 10:52 AM   #9
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

If she's gonna try it with a bow, get yourself a pop up!! Turkeys will not pay that pop up any attention. Set a decoy out at about 15 yards. Download the primos game call app and use the turkey calls that are on it. The phone volume is plenty loud enough... IF they let you bait, use some corn.

Likely her bow is a low poundage bow, so just use a normal FIXED blade cut on contact head like you would for low poundage bows when deer hunting. Shoot the turkey just above the leg and slightly forward of it...

Eezy...peezy...
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-06-2019, 10:52 AM   #10
NannySlayer
Pope & Young

Following along. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NannySlayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-06-2019, 10:58 AM   #11
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default I need a crash course on Turkey hunting.

With her bow and assuming light pull weight, cut on contact fixed blade is a must. Iíve seen a 33 lb pull bounce off a turkey with a slick trick chisel head for a memberís girl just about her age.

YouTube has a huge assortment of videos to watch and learn .
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-06-2019, 11:08 AM   #12
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

I pulled in on three setups for my wife one morning. She got busted all three. 4th setup she took the Beretta bow and killed a double beard
glen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-06-2019, 11:39 AM   #13
KevinAndy
Four Point

Hunt In: Jim Wells Co., TX

Gobblers can come in silent sometimes so be patient. I have had them come in from blind side several times and didn't hear them until they were close enough to hear them drumming.
KevinAndy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-06-2019, 12:01 PM   #14
JackRyan
Six Point

Hunt In: South Texas

Which TYHP hunt? My daughter and I will be at the T Anchor hunt and have been on several.

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk
JackRyan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-06-2019, 12:17 PM   #15
Hoggslayer
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRyan View Post
Which TYHP hunt? My daughter and I will be at the T Anchor hunt and have been on several.

T Anchor March 15-17. Just paid the hunt fee about 30 min ago. She's is excited.

Hoggslayer
Old 03-06-2019, 12:51 PM   #16
Lynn21
Ten Point

Hunt In: Childress, Tx

Use some hen decoys and a jake . Toms hate a jake around their hens and will come in. Do not, I repeat, do not over call. And the box calls are the easiest to use. Good luck.
Lynn21 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-06-2019, 12:51 PM   #17
OleTomTalker
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sheridan, Victoria, Weesatche and Mississippi

Turkeys eyesight is there best defense. See colors very well. If not provided, you'll want a popup for bow hunting and face paint or mask. Hen decoy and a box call is the easiest call to use and she can learn to use it decently with a couple times of practice. Look up on youtube a hen turkey yelp and try to duplicate it. We put in for same hunt, hadn't heard anything yet. Good luck to yall!
OleTomTalker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-06-2019, 01:03 PM   #18
JackRyan
Six Point

Hunt In: South Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoggslayer View Post
T Anchor March 15-17. Just paid the hunt fee about 30 min ago. She's is excited.

Hoggslayer
Awesome, we'll look forward to meeting you there! T-Anchor and Rick (huntmaster) are as good as it gets IMO. Rick is a really great guy and the T Anchor is an amazing ranch. I'll send you a PM with some more details but honestly what I've learned on these hunts - and I've been on bunch over the years starting with my boys when they were younger - is to not make the focus on getting the animal, if you do it can end up taking something away from the experience. Instead focus on enjoying the time with your daughter in a new place and meeting new people and seeing new things. If you get an animal that's a great bonus. I've never been on a TYHP hunt that hasn't been great. And yes, Rick typically has some volunteers there to guide for those who want them.

See you next weekend!

JackRyan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-06-2019, 01:08 PM   #19
Hoggslayer
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRyan View Post
Awesome, we'll look forward to meeting you there! T-Anchor and Rick (huntmaster) are as good as it gets IMO. Rick is a really great guy and the T Anchor is an amazing ranch. I'll send you a PM with some more details but honestly what I've learned on these hunts - and I've been on bunch over the years starting with my boys when they were younger - is to not make the focus on getting the animal, if you do it can end up taking something away from the experience. Instead focus on enjoying the time with your daughter in a new place and meeting new people and seeing new things. If you get an animal that's a great bonus. I've never been on a TYHP hunt that hasn't been great. And yes, Rick typically has some volunteers there to guide for those who want them.

See you next weekend!

I've been on one TYHP hunt and it was top notch. Sounds like this one will be also. Looking forward to it.
Old 03-06-2019, 03:05 PM   #20
Jcjohnson
Ten Point

Hunt In: Burke, Thompson, Lincolnton

For a lower poundage bow may be best to go with a gobbler guillotine or something of the sorts to take a head shot with if that’s the case closer the better. If you go that route have your hen deek no further than 15 yards and facing you from
Your pop up
Jcjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-06-2019, 03:35 PM   #21
mikemorvan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: vetements noirs

Be patient and learn to sit still. If those birds notice movement, it's pretty much over. They can see 270 degrees in about 32k color. Good luck. IT IS MUCH FUN!
mikemorvan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-06-2019, 05:23 PM   #22
DTala
Ten Point

get where they are going and tell em what they want to hear...
DTala is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-06-2019, 05:30 PM   #23
Hoggslayer
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTala View Post
get where they are going and tell em what they want to hear...
Oh, just like hunting women in my younger days.
Old 03-06-2019, 05:31 PM   #24
SNIPER3388
Four Point

https://youtu.be/uYYuqJNJv-g

https://youtu.be/J2le2TzBpJM
SNIPER3388 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-06-2019, 05:36 PM   #25
brokeno
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere

Pop up box call corn and luck
brokeno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-06-2019, 08:21 PM   #26
whitetailfanatic
Pope & Young

Talking

Going to be extremely hard to get a bird with a compound bow

Watch bow/Turkey videos on YouTube

Tree night b4

Hunt middle of the day

Like dove hunting if you can see them they already saw you

Practice saying. “ chalk, chalk, chalk, chalk”

Last edited by whitetailfanatic; 03-06-2019 at 08:24 PM.
whitetailfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-06-2019, 09:46 PM   #27
Double-O-Dave
Ten Point

Hunt In: looking for a lease

I took my son on a TYHP turkey hunt about 3 years ago. Everyone had a great time, but here wasn't much luck. It took me until last May for me to finally connect on a turkey (definitely not on a TYHP hunt). I am constantly amazed at how an animal as big as a turkey can move so quickly and quietly. If you have access to a crossbow, and it's allowed on the hunt, your daughter might have better luck with that than using a bow. By the way, get your daughter a box call and have her practice using it to make a gobble - plenty of You Tube videos on that. Her gobbles won't sound great, but I think that's what draws the toms in - they think the gobbles are from young jakes, and they want to show them who's boss.

Best of luck to your daughter.

Regards,

Dave
Attached Images

Double-O-Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-06-2019, 09:48 PM   #28
hopedale
Ten Point

Hunt In: WMAs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcjohnson View Post
If possible roost them the night before. Go out right before dark try to avoid turkey calls to get them to gobble. Owl hoot or crow call or what ever will make them sound off. Go in early donít get too close and be quiet. Donít over call use the KISS method donít over think calling. Use something simple your comfortable working. Ground blinds are worth there weight in gold bow hunting turkeys

This
hopedale is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-06-2019, 11:30 PM   #29
RifleBowPistol
Ten Point

Hunt In: Any where I can

Good luck turkey hunting can be a blast. I love hunting turkey. My daughter wants to hunt turkey, she has learned to use my box calls. She used to call up turkey when I was at work. Then call me and tell me about the turkey she called in. My wife would not let us shoot one, she thinks they are too beautiful to shoot. I agree they are beautiful, but they also taste great.

Some of the things I can tell you, turkey have great eye sight. They can pick you out quickly and take off, before you see them. So you need to be well hidden. Then always count on them coming in from the direction, you least think they will. When you are calling one in, it is common, for them to keep answering, then stop answering, when they get within 150 yards, then circle around you and pop out 30 yards away and blast away with a loud gobble, while you are scanning hard in the direction the bird was coming from.

Some of the things to remember, don't call too often, more so when there are not any gobblers gobbling. If you don't hear any, make some calls, off and on, then stop and listen for 15 minutes to 20 minutes. I can call a turkey in from a 1/2 mile away or farther. They can hear you from a couple miles away or farther, that is no BS. Once you hear one that is off a ways, make some loud calls, the stop and wait and listen. If you can sound like a hen, but then make it sound like she is not overly interested and is walking away, that tom will likely run and or fly flat out for 1/2 mile and be 40 yards from you in no time. Then you have to be careful. You will often have more than one gobbler come in at the same time, from different directions. They always get inside of 100 yards about the same time. I have had four turkey around me on four different sides, trying to not be seen, while trying to find one of them and then make a game plan on which one to shoot or try and shoot. Those situations, you likely will scare one, then they all haul butt in a flash.

I use box calls. I have been hunting turkey since I was a teenager, back then we had turkeys. So I practiced by listening to the hens and copied them. I have three box calls, both sides of each call will produce a different tone, so each call will sound like two different hens. Hens almost always travel in groups. So I always carry all three calls. I will use all three calls, most of the calling I will do is soft. Unless I hear a tom that is way out there 1/2 mile or farther. Then I will sound off with some loud calls. I will alternate between calls, so it sounds like a group of hens walking along clucking and pecking the ground for food. They are always walking and grazing. I will pay attention to which call a tom responds to the most. I use that call to try and talk him in, but still use all three, but use the one he seems to respond to, to answer his calls.

Always remember, when the birds get closer, 300 yards and closing, call less and call softer. They will hear the call, more so early in the morning with a light fog, low clouds and dew on everything. Do not move, when they come into view at first, because they are going to be looking hard, trying to find that hen or hens. If they pick you out, they will most likely be gone in a flash. Some of them only have one thing on their minds and woke spook for any reason.

Then one trick I have found works great over the years. Is I will go out and call one afternoon and listen, listen more than call. I listen very carefully. Where we used to live, the turkey seemed to stay down the road more often than where we were. I would call on a Friday or Saturday afternoon, when I knew the next day, I would not be going into work early. Sometimes I would hear or think I occasionally heard a very faint tom gobbling from a long ways off, probably over a mile. But I would not be sure, but thought a couple times I did hear a tom. I would do that late afternoon, 5:00 to 6:00 PM. Almost every time, early the next morning, I would get woke up by a tom or two out in the pasture gobbling loudly. Basically if the toms hear a hen late afternoon, both the tom and hen are going to be heading to a roosting area, by that time of the day. So early the next morning, he knows that the hen he heard that previous afternoon, will be somewhere around where he last heard her. So he will go straight towards where he last heard her.
That was something I used to do every spring, call late afternoon, to get a tom to show up at the house early the next morning. Then once they were in the pasture, either I or my daughter would grab the calls and call the bird into the yard. Pretty cool having a tom or three strutting around in your yard first thing in the morning. My wife would never let me shoot them. Before I met her, I turkey hunted a lot, since, I have just worked on perfecting my calling. My wife has finally decided it's ok for me to shoot a turkey, as long as she does not see me shoot it.

You should pick out a few different types of calls, box calls, slate calls, mouth calls. See what you do best with. If you use box calls or slate calls, you will really want to get at least two different calls, to make different sounding hens. Then find some videos of guys calling or find videos of turkey hens clucking, pecking, ect. So you get a better idea of how they normally talk, how often and how soft. Also, typically I do soft little pecks or clucks, with a couple different calls. Even if you are not that good at sounding like a turkey hens you hear on a video, don't get discouraged. I have had one of my box calls screw up on me and was making the most horrible raspy sounds. Sounded like some one hen that had spent her like hanging out in a bars drinking hard alcohol all her life. But that horrible sounding call, brought a tom in.
RifleBowPistol is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-07-2019, 06:11 AM   #30
Uncle Saggy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinAndy View Post
Gobblers can come in silent sometimes so be patient. I have had them come in from blind side several times and didn't hear them until they were close enough to hear them drumming.

This is sooooo true
The replyís about less calling is more and sit longer than you think you should are very important to follow.

Iíve missed many an opportunity on gobblers that will answer from a distance and then shut up..... then 10 minutes later they magically appear 10 yards away on my off side!!!
What a rush
Uncle Saggy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2019, 09:36 AM   #31
Aggiebow88
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kansas, Arkansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
. Even if you are not that good at sounding like a turkey hens you hear on a video, don't get discouraged. I have had one of my box calls screw up on me and was making the most horrible raspy sounds. Sounded like some one hen that had spent her like hanging out in a bars drinking hard alcohol all her life. But that horrible sounding call, brought a tom in.
Tons of good advice here. RBP sums it up pretty good. What he said about not sounding perfect rings true.
I was hunting public land in Ohio way back when and heard the worst sounding call I have ever heard. TERRIBLE, convinced some yahoo hunter was out there 100 yards from me I was packing up to leave when this horrible sounding hen comes walking down the path towards me,,,,,
Aggiebow88 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2019, 07:16 PM   #32
OleTomTalker
Ten Point

Got the call this afternoon. Will be there with my 11 and 17 year olds

Old 03-08-2019, 08:19 PM   #33
Hoggslayer
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomTalker View Post

Cool. I haven't heard from the hunt master yet. Looking forward to a good hunt.

Hoggslayer
Old 03-08-2019, 09:22 PM   #34
Grizzly1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Carthage TX, Victoria TX

DONT MOVE!!! They have great eyesight!
Grizzly1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2019, 09:59 PM   #35
BradBryant1000
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mason, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinAndy View Post
I shot a big tom last spring the same way you're describing. I was about to stop hunting for the morning and go grab some breakfast. I didn't think there was a turkey within a million miles of where I was sitting. Then all of a sudden I was like hey wait a minute that's a turkey drumming. He had snuck in behind me and a little to the left. Luckily I was able to get him.
BradBryant1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-10-2019, 10:16 PM   #36
Hoggslayer
Pope & Young

Quote:

PM sent

Hoggslayer
Old 03-10-2019, 11:12 PM   #37
spliffnwesson
Eight Point

If you need a ground blind I have one you can borrow. (I'm the guy that came and got the white bed you offered up)
spliffnwesson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-11-2019, 09:24 AM   #38
Dry Bones
Ten Point

Hunt In: only in Texas

Lots of good information here. Like most have stated, Really good cut on contact, OR you might look at picking up some Magnus Bull heads. I don't encourage everyone to shoot head shots, as I don't make it a first preference, BUT if they get close enough it's a quick down bird.
PLEASE take a little time and really review the vitals on turkeys. Not much to run an arrow through, and don't expect blood. They are birds and seem to be without.
I use a slate call, and last season the birds we took did come in silent. Just "showed up" the best tom I took drummed a few feet from me in the brush. Until then I had no idea he was there.

Forgot to say, I hope they set ya'll up well, and best to you and your daughter.

Last edited by Dry Bones; 03-11-2019 at 09:30 AM.
Dry Bones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-11-2019, 09:59 AM   #39
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Only other thing I can add... If turkeys had a nose like a deer, they'd be dang near unkillable! 'course if a deer had eyes like a turkey they WOULD be unkillable!!
Good luck to you and your daughter... Waitin' on LDP's rat now!
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-11-2019, 11:19 AM   #40
Acameron52
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coleman & Loving

Turkey hunting is a BLAST.
Acameron52 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-11-2019, 11:22 AM   #41
smokeless
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano

If you have to move, wait for the bird to be in full strut and is turned away from you.
smokeless is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-11-2019, 11:42 AM   #42
OleTomTalker
Ten Point

Weather forecast looking nice!

Old 03-11-2019, 12:27 PM   #43
strongbow
Nubbin' Buck

If nothing is working, walk around a bit and call to see if you can get a response. Later in the morning the hens will get bred and the toms will be out by themselves. Here are some evening turkey hunting tips if the morning isn't very productive.
strongbow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-11-2019, 01:57 PM   #44
tdwinklr
Ten Point

Hunt In: N. Central and N. East TX

If its raining, don't let that deter you. Other than the noise it makes on the leaves and all, they will still respond to calls. I used to think it was time to quit but very much the opposite.
If you don't have a blind, sit up against the largest diameter tree you can find, to call from.
Good luck, its the most exciting time of the year! Post pics later.
tdwinklr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 01:50 PM   #45
hully1029
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cooke

They workin in my area.. never shot a turkey.. hoping to change that this year.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
hully1029 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-15-2019, 12:17 AM   #46
Hoggslayer
Pope & Young

She's all packed up and ready.

Hoggslayer
Old 03-15-2019, 10:26 AM   #47
OleTomTalker
Ten Point

Weíre in route!

Old 03-15-2019, 10:59 AM   #48
Hoggslayer
Pope & Young

Quote:

Weíre in route!

Us also. What time do y'all plan on arriving?

Hoggslayer
Old 03-15-2019, 11:01 AM   #49
OleTomTalker
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoggslayer View Post
Us also. What time do y'all plan on arriving?

Hoggslayer

Hoping get Bandera about lunch time and get bite to eat

Old 03-15-2019, 11:10 AM   #50
Hoggslayer
Pope & Young

I'll be rolling thru about that time as well. What's good to eat there?

Hoggslayer