Clear All

Originally posted by Dave W View Post
    Thanks for the thread
    I am headed to Arizona for elk on the 20th
    I am too busy at work to get excited though, reading this helps
    Oh I need to work out and run tonight!
    WOW! good luck I would be pumped!

Comment

Alright guys I need some help. This next year I will be off to college at the Colorado School of Mines in Golden. The GMU adjacent to it is unit 38. Does any one have any experience with this unit or have any tips for a to be Colorado elk hunter?

Comment

Originally posted by a3dhunter View Post
        Packed up last night and weighed in, pack is giong to come in at 45 lbs with 5 days worth of grub. That includes the spotting scope and tripod which a lot of people don't pack.
        A few minor adjustments to load and I will be ready to go. I have 3 lbs in clothing that are in the pack, but would be worn early morning and late evening.
        I am taking some luxury items this year as well, an inflatable pad for extended glassing sessions will keep my butt from going numb, and a few food items that will be extras early in the hunt. About 2 lbs I could drop there but is worth it to me.
        Did the same last night. I'm at 42 by the time I get where I'm going it will feel like 142. Good luck I'm leaving tomorrow.

Comment

19 days until we leave. Can. Not. Wait.

Comment

Originally posted by Floor Man View Post
            Did the same last night. I'm at 42 by the time I get where I'm going it will feel like 142. Good luck I'm leaving tomorrow.
            You are so right.
            My first hike in is going to be only about 2.5 miles, but it goes up 2200 feet elevation starting at 10,200 feet and ending at 12,400 feet.

Comment

simply said, elk are big animals(horse like) they move fast at a walk,they are just as sneaky at times just like a whitetail,they can cover country fast. the better shape you are in, the better time you will have because you will get tired. when you think you are in good enough shape think agian, consider it a challenge. the live in the mountians they grew up there they are use to it, your not!

Comment

The more time I have to hunt, the better I enjoy it.
                Don't feel so rushed and can take my time.
                The days go by fast in elk country!

Comment

Originally posted by BuckSmasher View Post
                  Alright guys. Its decision time. I have a tag for a draw unit in Colorado. Not one of the premier units but a good one.

I have to make my mind up before tomorrow morning which week to go. First week of september when I can use labor day as an extra vacation day, or later in september with a better chance of bugling?
                  It will be hard to get lucky on the bugle. Go early before Muzzleloader, they get a lot of pressure during the muzzleloader season.

Comment

Originally posted by tookeymonster View Post
                    It will be hard to get lucky on the bugle. Go early before Muzzleloader, they get a lot of pressure during the muzzleloader season.

Comment

Last day of work today.
                      I won't make it but a couple of hours and I'll be out the door from here.

Pack things up tonight and be on the road in the morning......
                      can't wait!
                      Leaving a job I've been at for almost 4 years, knowing I can get another one when I want it. Stepping out in faith and going to enjoy the next two months!

Comment

Good Luck Jason!!

I'll give ya a shout when we reach the mountain top on Sept 15th. Thanks for the help!

Last day of work today.

can't wait!
                        Leaving a job I've been at for almost 4 years, knowing I can get another one when I want it. Stepping out in faith and going to enjoy the next two months!
                        Last edited by Traildust; 08-22-2012, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Last day of work today.

can't wait!
                          Good luck Buddy!

I wish you the best, and will pray for you.

Comment

Last day of work today.

can't wait!
                            Awesome feeling! Good luck, keep us posted as you can! Can't wait to read the reports!

Comment

Last day of work today.

can't wait!
                              Good luck! Will you be able to do any live hunts or is there no coverage where you are going?

Comment

Thanks guys.
                                This is one reason I am a member of the green screen!

I should be able to do some live updates Saturday and Sunday, but not sure after that.
                                I will be over on the east side of the Flat tops wilderness and I've never been to these units before.
                                Going in blind with only online scouting, hoping to pull a double or elk and mule deer from the same area.
                                I've got the truck loaded up, arranged for flowers to be delivered to my wife while I'm gone and she is working, and the truck is gassed up.

Headed for Colorado in the morning, only six hours to get to the trailhead. I'll start posting some updates tomorrow night, but unfortunately when up there I can't get pics to upload.

Comment

Working...
                                X