hypothetical question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hypothetical question?

I am going to try and make this easy as possible.
    I got on a DEER lease that allows dove hunting (during season)and Quail hunting AFTER deer season is over. We don’t have section allotted to each person, just pick an area and put up a stand. I have two hunting areas (or stand location) that are within 100-150 yards from two different windmills. At one particular stand is a windmill/pond very close to my feeders. I WAS seeing some good decent buck at this particular stand until the weekend before bow opener. I still have some does and young stuff but not the better ones. I know the pond has been dove hunted, I found a dove decoy yesterday. Do you think the dove hunting moved the bigger deer out. This has seemed to be the issue for the last couple of years. And I see it do to getting pictures sent to my phone everyday.
    I love dove hunting just as much as the next guy, but if I want to HUNT DOVES I get a dov lease or do a day hunt. I dang sure not going to go hunt next to my feeder or someone’s else’s. I have more RESPECT than that. I spend a lot of money on a DEER lease and this does bother me. And I have been hesitant to say anything but find the decoy yesterday just got me hot. Am I wrong to feel this way or should I just accepte it as what it is. Do you think the shooting has anything to do with the deer leaving. My way of thinking is, I have more respect for others and their hunting locations to do something like this.

Please give me your thoughts and feed back

Same here. We don't shoot doves after opening weekend of dove season because we let the place settle down for a few weeks and then its all about the deer.

Comment

I totally see everyone's point of view. At my family's place, I hunt deer in the morning and dove in the evening. Usually in different areas so we're not "Shooting out" any one spot. Quail is somewhat of a different story because it takes place in a separate pasture better suited for quail, cover-wise.

As far as your lease mates' position, I can relate. Just signed a new lease and all of a sudden I have Wood ducks coming to a pond. I have never duck hunted or even seen wood ducks. I may have to take advantage of all opportunities provided at my new place that aren't available at the other places I hunt. Nowhere in the lease agreement did I see "deer/pig lease ONLY." BUT if I were to try and hunt some ducks on one of the ponds, I'd make sure to respect other hunters' areas so as not to ruin any hunts they may have planned. But then again, we DO have specific areas where each of us hunt and have a gentleman's agreement not to mess with other peoples areas.

Even without specific areas staked out, I'd be pretty peeved to find someone bird hunting that close to my deer set ups. ESPECIALLY given the time of year. You def have the right to be upset. I'd have a very hard time not bringing it up.

It seems that there is a common theme in these types of threads. "Communication is key."

EDIT to add that I had bucks on camera that aren't showing up anymore. There is no dove hunting going on and the other hunters aren't around yet as they all rifle hunt. Getting to be that time of year

I feel for ya'. Good luck this season. Hope to see some LDPs soon
      Last edited by BlackHogDown; 10-12-2018, 08:28 AM.

Comment

I'm sure the shooting had something to do with the deer moving off. The better ones.

But the fact you still have deer only means the better ones will eventually return.

With that said, I'd still bring it up with the lease manager to request that area remain off limits for dove hunting.

I would think the folks on your lease are like minded and may not have realized you were in the area.

Comment

Is dove hunting ok per the "rules?" If so, then it is what it is. I would be upset too. Bring it up, figure out who it is, and politely come to an agreement with them if you can. If they want to be a pain about it, there ain't much you can do, they paid to dove hunt. The deer will come back.
          Last edited by jdg13; 10-12-2018, 08:42 AM.

Comment

Tough issue that a number of us have had to deal with.
            The only solution is to have the lease manager make a decision and have everyone adhere to it.

Good luck!

Comment

I don't know. I live in the country and my boys shoot guns all the time. Deer still come in every night. We dove hunt at our lease, We still have good deer movement. But its the hill country so we have a lot of deer.

Comment

This is the time of year that the deer (especially bucks) start changing patterns. I highly doubt it has anything to do with dove hunters.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by LivinADream View Post
                  This is the time of year that the deer (especially bucks) start changing patterns. I highly doubt it has anything to do with dove hunters.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
                  I tend to agree with the above. This is the time of year that bucks START showing up on my cameras. Also the time of year that your neighbors are filling their feeders, acorns are dropping, weather is changing, etc. etc. Their are just to many variables to be able to say one or the other IMHO.

Comment

The biggest buck I ever saw on camera showed up at 8:00 am. He was 150 yards from me while I was blasting away at dove.

Comment

They pay, just like you.
                      Having said that, I wouldn’t do that to you and would expect the same in return.

Comment

Are the windmill/ponds your feeders are by, the only source of water on the ranch?

Comment

Dove hunting near a feeder is illegal- maybe the dove hunter isn’t aware of this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Your deer left because of acorns and timely rain just like everybody's deer did. I usually have 20-30 deer at my feeder every morning and since the later part of September I might have 2 young ones.

Comment

If you got on a lease that openly allows dove hunting and does not have area restrictions, I'm hard pressed to say how you have any recourse or even justification for being angry. It's also not necessarily true that the deer is not around because of the dove hunting... that's speculation.
                              Not everyone thinks like you do as far as what respect means and expecting them to is a recipe for disaster.

Comment

Working...
                              X