Spring food plot ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spring food plot ideas?

I've been so happy with my fall food plot I started thinking maybe I should do a spring/ summer plot?

What do you recommend I plant? I'm in Milam County - SE Central Texas, between College Station and Waco.

When should I plant it?

I’m going to try my first spring plot this year as well. I got on another little lease (112 acres) myself this year and have been surprised with the deer density. I’m going to try some of the eagle brand soybeans that are round up ready. I would also like to plant another area with something different, just not sure yet. This is the first lease I have had that does not have cows on it.

Comment

Best luck I have had so far is a mix of black oil sunflower and iron and clay peas

Deer tore the sunflowers up first, then worked the peas over

Comment

Bump

Comment

I own a 20 acre tract close to my house and I’m going to try the eagle seed soybeans this spring. The people at eagle seed claim it will still be good for when bow season rolls around

Comment

Spring food plot is all about timing. Soil temp moisture.shade And acid level. The soy beans need good soil send your soil sample now to see if you will need to lime first. With Peletized lime, and nitrogen level. Good luck

Comment

I believe BT has the right answer for you. IC peas and sunflowers are hard to beat and they hold up to drought real good. Sunn Hemp is another good one to plant. I think Drycreek uses Grandpa Ray seeds and has good luck with them.

Comment

I've been planting Laredo Soybeans the last few years with really good success.

Comment

Tagged. I might try this too, but don’t really have any idea what to plant.

Comment

Anyone tried the Turner Spring Deer Mix?
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by GLM View Post
                      That looks like a good mix, but the deer will hammer them peas hard and you got to plant them heavy.

I dont know the price for that mix, but I buy Iron Clay peas for 45.00 per 50 pounds and use 100 pounds an acre(broadcasted) for IC peas and mix in some sunflowers. This picture was taken last summer before the drought, you can see how the deer kept them mowed down. This was a 5 acre plot. I did not plant sunflowers last year, just straight peas.
                      Last edited by Radar; 06-05-2019, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Yes, and we like it. Ive really had good luck with Turner. They are super easy to deal with. Reach out to J and he will get you what you need.

Comment

Here is my Spring 2019 plot plan:

Dove Field(1.5acre) 30lb Dove Mix, 30lb Deer Mix

Trap(1acre HF) 30lb Deer Mix

Culvert(3acre) 80lb Deer Mix

Front Field(4acre HF) 100lb Deer Mix, 30lb Dove Mix

I like to plant heavy.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffJ View Post
                            Yes, and we like it. Ive really had good luck with Turner. They are super easy to deal with. Reach out to J and he will get you what you need.
                            I’ve been using their Fall Deer Mix for a few years. They have very good customer service. Just wish their shipping wasn’t so high!

Comment

I’ve been using their Fall Deer Mix for a few years. They have very good customer service. Just wish their shipping wasn’t so high!
                              True on the shipping but I guess shipping 100's of pounds cant be cheap. A local feed store sells some of their stuff. Going to see if I order through them if it ends up cheaper.

Comment

Working...
                              X