Turning Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turning Project

I generally have wood pieces that are too small to use after building bows so I thought I might try my hand at wood turning. I've been experimenting with predator calls since it is also hunting related, but I'm not sure about the shape, what do you think? The bottom piece is only there to hold in the lathe jaws, it is cut off after the wood piece is shaped. So basically I cut out a block 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 x 4 1/4" then place it in the lathe. Once I've turned it to a round shape and sanded it I drill it out to 17/64 and taper the ends. I cut off the bottom pieces and sand them smooth. I drive in the sleeve and reeds and coat the whole thing in Tung oil.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Savage; 01-12-2020, 11:12 AM. Reason: added info

Dang--I was at the beginning of a turning project this week and the belt gave up on the lathe. Ordered replacements but looks like I will have to disassemble the machine to install the new belt.

Looks like you've got a good handle on turning though--keep it up.

Comment

Thanks. I'm just having a hard time getting it to all line up back in the lathe after drilling it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Savage View Post
        Thanks. I'm just having a hard time getting it to all line up back in the lathe after drilling it out.
        Those look good! I've done a bunch of pens, bowls, and vases but never tried a call.

I may be confused with your method but why are you putting it back in the lathe after its drilled?

Comment

Drill the hole all the way through and then mount it on a mandrel to turn. If you remount during the turning process it can give you fits sometimes.

Comment

Drill hole first. Place on mandrel or build one and turn call true to centered hole. Or that’s how I make calls, anyway

Comment

Working...
            X