Welding magnetized pipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welding magnetized pipe

Any tips to welding magnetized drill stem. Worked around the nasty stuff but I have some in the pipe pile I need to use. It’s 2 7/8s, I wrap the ground around a bunch and that helps some but if there’s any other tips I’m all ears.

Heat it to red hot with a torch and weld it as soon as it stops being red, you won't have long, but it helps a little.

Comment

Try wrapping ground in the opposite direction than you tried the first time. Some times it works better in the opposite direction. You can also wrap you work lead in the opposite direction than your ground. About 10 wraps on each close to weld. Also you can try welding on AC as this helps with big pipe and a root pass.

Comment

Is the whole pipe magnetic or a section sometimes hammering the SH!! Out of it works if it’s just a small section.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Both of these

Originally posted by Duzy View Post
          Heat it to red hot with a torch and weld it as soon as it stops being red, you won't have long, but it helps a little.
          Originally posted by hunter1313 View Post
          Try wrapping ground in the opposite direction than you tried the first time. Some times it works better in the opposite direction. You can also wrap you work lead in the opposite direction than your ground. About 10 wraps on each close to weld. Also you can try welding on AC as this helps with big pipe and a root pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Duzy View Post
            When I built my entry way I did same thing. Heat with torch to glowing red and get to welding. Other wise I tried everything and couldn’t get it to weld.

Comment

Thanks, Guess I’m busting out the rosebud.

Comment

Originally posted by hunterburch42 View Post
                Is the whole pipe magnetic or a section sometimes hammering the SH!! Out of it works if it’s just a small section.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Whole thing best I can tell if I chop saw it the whole end looks fuzzy.

Comment

Hammering-peening does work. Do you have a gauss meter?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Whiskers View Post
                    Hammering-peening does work. Do you have a gauss meter?
                    No I don’t but I will look into one. Thank you

Comment

Hammer Time! Found out by accident building some pipe fence with drill stem. Did the time consuming cope with a torch, burn a cope with a big rock, and finally said the hell with it and cut the rails square and hammered in place and just filled the gap with some 6010 P5+ rods. After hammering the arc control was way better. Some of the stuff I had was so magnetized you could almost hang a chipping hammer off of it. I never had much luck with wrapping the ground cable but then again I might not have been holding my tongue right. When in doubt, pound it out.

Comment

7014 Rods and AC

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
                          7014 Rods and AC
                          This, we always had good luck running on AC and either 7018 or 7014

Comment

Working...
                          X