Best instapot recipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bk_tradguy88 View Post
    1. Buy a nice cut of meat, any kind really.
    Beef, pork, venison, whatever you feel like.
    2. Season with salt and pepper, maybe a touch of garlic powder
    3. Take the insta pot out of the box
    4. Build a fire to burn the box
    5. Throw away the insta pot
    6. Cook the meat over the fire you built and enjoy

Sorry I’m not an instapot fan, just never saw the point. My wife had one for a bit, that thing seemed to suck the flavor out of stuff. Either cook it fast, or cook it slow. Don’t try to use some time saving device. They cost you a good product.
    That's my thoughts exactly. And they don't really save that much time either. It takes as long to depressurize as it does to do the "fast" cook deal.

Insta-Pot is the 6.5 Creedmoor of the kitchen. The hype-to-performance ratio is WAY high.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
      We have one. It cooks things like beans or rice and such well. I've yet to have any kind of meat come out of the instapot and be good to eat. It overcooks the crap out of meat. And it magnifies the seasoning a LOT, so things just have a weird over-seasoned and overcooked taste.

My wife always says, "I'm gonna try this recipe I saw on Pinterest. It looks good, and everyone says it really is....". I reply, "OK, but if it's any kind of meat in the instapot, it's gonna suck."

We had that conversation again a couple nights ago. She tried the Pinterest instapot meat recipe. It sucked. We trashed it and went to a restaurant. I think I finally have her convinced to stop putting any kind of meat in the dang thing.
      My experience so far as well. I've done 2 roasts, 1 pork, 1 beef and both ended up mushy like it turned them into some kinda meat paste. I have done some chicken breasts that turned out ok but even they were a little on the mushy side. Not a fan. Went back to using the crockpot.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

It's a pressure cooker. Nothing more, nothing less. To me it does anything a crockpot will do but does it faster than a crockpot and actually it forces whatever liquid you are cooking with all the way through the meats and vegetables. Make a stew with potatoes in it and you'll see the potatoes are darker all the way through because it has forced the juice through the potatoes.

I like it OK for things like roasts, chili, stews and soups. It's like anything else, you have to learn how to use it and you aren't going to do that in one or two uses. If your meat is coming out like mush you cooked it too long, back off. But yeah, it's gonna be like a crock pot in that you are cooking a piece of meat in liquid until it is very well done and even falling apart. If it's flavorless then you need to put more stuff in there to make it taste good.

A couple of points that will maybe help your Instant Pot recipes. First, brown your meat really well before you add it. When I cook a roast in the IP I brown the heck out of it. Season it up and get a skillet hot with some oil and brown the outside heavily on all sides. Same with stew meat if I am making a stew. I think it adds a ton of flavor otherwise your meat is going to taste like steamed or boiled meat. Also use broth/stock instead of water and make sure you season it well. Alot of the recipes I see for the IP are very plain. Like dump 3 or 4 ingredients, crank it up and eat it deal with no effort put into it. I like to cook some onion, pepper and garlic and dump in, Add seasonings and herbs etc, etc. If the liquid you are cooking with is bland the whole thing will be bland. Another thing is to watch how much liquid you add. Often on you are gonna cook out a ton of juice and end up with a little piece of meat swimming in way too much liquid. Add just enough liquid to keep it from burning and sticking unless you are making soup. Last, don't be afraid to pull the meat and vegetables out and turn that juice into a gravy. Turn it on and bring the juice up to a boil. Meanwhile cook a batch of roux on the stovetop and dump it in to thicken. Turn it off and add your meat and vegetables back in. I do the same thing with stews but w/o removing the meat and veg. I add just enough roux to thicken it up.

It isn't the end all be all of cooking. Not by any means. It's just another tool and we make some dang good meals in it.

Comment

We use ours all the time. Mostly slow cooking but you can make a pot of dried beans in well under an hour.

We’ve made borracho beans in it several times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Best instapot recipes

Originally posted by rolylane6 View Post
            My experience so far as well. I've done 2 roasts, 1 pork, 1 beef and both ended up mushy like it turned them into some kinda meat paste. I have done some chicken breasts that turned out ok but even they were a little on the mushy side. Not a fan. Went back to using the crockpot.

It could be that if your roast turn out on the “mushy” side you’re simply cooking them too long.

Comment

Originally posted by Roscoe View Post
              It could be that if your roast turn out on the “mushy” side you’re simply cooking them too long.

Problem is finding recipes that give exact times for cooking and "a little too much" in the pressure cooker is over cooked. I'm not willing to experiment til I get it right. I know I can get it right in the crockpot.

Comment

I've cooked everything from carnitas, beef roast, chicken breasts, chili, beans, mac & cheese, steamed eggs, baked potatoes & many other things with great results. The key is to not overcook the food. Don't really have many recipes though since I just wing it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Pretty good thread here!

Comment

We have an electric pressure cooker and I make carne guisada in it all the time. I have yet to have a bad batch. Also make pots of beans in it as well. Roast carrots and potatoes cook fast and turn out well!

Comment

I used mine a lot when I 1st got it. Didn't care for some of the meat dishes I made, great for pasta, eggs. It now sits on a shelf collecting dust like several other kitchen toys. My next dust collector is an air fryer I got for Christmas. Getting ready to break that out of the box.

Comment

The BEST Wild Rice Soup - in the Instant Pot! So creamy and simple and ready in an hour. Perfect for fall/winter nights!

This, it’s wonderful

Comment

I have a couple of them and use them about once a week. I’ve made everything from boiled eggs and lasagna to pulled pork. Right now I’m making chicken tacos with it once a week. My kids love it and it is so easy durning the week when we are dealing with homework and baseball. It’s a game changer for us.

Comment

Working...
                          X