R-22 and a service call

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

R-22 and a service call

Surfing the GS this midday and began to have that sinking feeling that the A/C wasn't quite keeping up.

Several hours later and half a grand lighter in the wallet and the system is happy again.

Dang A/C repairs are expensive. 5lbs at $60ea plus a service call.

...But worth every penny.

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
    Surfing the GS this midday and began to have that sinking feeling that the A/C wasn't quite keeping up.

Several hours later and half a grand lighter in the wallet and the system is happy again.

Dang A/C repairs are expensive. 5lbs at $60ea plus a service call.

...But worth every penny.
    Did they find the leak? If you lost that much you have one. Mine ended up
    be in the coil. 5 lbs. at $65.00 a pound and a new coil.

Comment

If you were low on freon, you have a leak someone and that is a much bigger and expensive issue.

Comment

R22 is expensive because it will be illegal on the 1st, 2020. Do not let those AC mechanics drag you over the coal on that gas, you can still by 30lbs for 400 bucks online. If you are close to Tomball I have some so if that would save you some cash let me know.

Comment

If you got it for $60 a lbs you got a good deal, it runs $100+ in our area.

Comment

Yeah, lots charging $100 a lb. And its not illegal, they are curtailing production. Still lots out there, but it will only cost more. If you have an R22 system, start saving or budgeting for its replacement. Also Gunny, hope they found and fixed the leak, or you will be there again sooner or later, depending on the size of your leak.

Comment

Originally posted by EastTexasMan View Post
              If you got it for $60 a lbs you got a good deal, it runs $100+ in our area.
              Yep, I have seen them charging 100-150 a pound in Houston. Also, be aware that many companies may not even touch your 22 system, they will just say it needs to be replaced.

Comment

So no leak detected. The system is about 10-12 years old and takes something like 22 pound total. (Never added any in that time that I recall)
                He said if I he needs to come back in a couple months then he'd look more closely for a leak.

Comment

So no leak detected. The system is about 10-12 years old and takes something like 22 pound total. (Never added any in that time that I recall)
                  He said if I he needs to come back in a couple months then he'd look more closely for a leak.
                  22lbs total If you loss 5lbs of r22 on a residential system you have a leak somewhere and a big one. The largest 5 ton units with long line sets may have 12lbs of freon in them. r22/lb averages around $90-100 and going up. $60 is a good deal.

Comment

If he needed to add 5 pounds that system would not have been cooling. Something he told you does not sound right. He may have charged you for five pounds but if it was cooling he may have added 1-2. If it was 5 pounds low that system has a leak that needs to be found or you will be adding 5 more pounds in short order.

Comment

If you were 5lbs low and he didnt find a leak its because he didnt look very hard for a leak.

Comment

he charged you for 5lbs, bet he didnt add 5lbs. Like said above you would have an obvious leak

Comment

Originally posted by -HIC- View Post
                          Yep, I have seen them charging 100-150 a pound in Houston. Also, be aware that many companies may not even touch your 22 system, they will just say it needs to be replaced.

Then you should find another company. Run away from any company that just wants to sell systems. New systems can certainly be the way to go, but telling you that without even seeing it is BS.

Your leak is most likely in your evaporator coil. It requires a little effort to access a coil for a leak check, and the attic was hot. That is the reason he didn't find a leak. When it leaks out again, find someone to locate the leak. A coil is much cheaper than a new system, and cheaper than R22 will be in a few years. If yours is only 10 years old, no reason not to keep it going. Oh, double check the exact date of the install, it is possible it is under a 10 year parts warranty. That would help a lot with costs. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by double bogey View Post
                            Then you should find another company. Run away from any company that just wants to sell systems. New systems can certainly be the way to go, but telling you that without even seeing it is BS.

Your leak is most likely in your evaporator coil. It requires a little effort to access a coil for a leak check, and the attic was hot. That is the reason he didn't find a leak. When it leaks out again, find someone to locate the leak. A coil is much cheaper than a new system, and cheaper than R22 will be in a few years. If yours is only 10 years old, no reason not to keep it going. Oh, double check the exact date of the install, it is possible it is under a 10 year parts warranty. That would help a lot with costs. Good luck.
                            I dont have others work on my AC this is what I have seen from neighbors, etc. The person with the leak is the OP. I agree with your post though.

Comment

Yes, I was replying to both you and the IP. sometimes I may not be that clear though lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X