Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Killed me a Dinosaur

Howdy Green screen,

Well the quick trip to the ranch turned to be a hunt of a lifetime that I'll never forget. I got to the ranch at about 6:15 and was just enjoying the view that overlooks the property. Feeders went off around 6:30, and there are two different feeders you can see from the house. Immediately, hogs show up at each feeder like clockwork. I decided to run and go pick up the camera cards on the other side of the property and then was going to get in one of the stands to hopefully get a shot at a hog or two. It takes me about 20 minutes to get all the cards and each feeder from the house I could see was completely empty of any animals. I was debating between bringing the AR or crossbow since its been a hot minute since I've been to ranch and knew it was going to be a hog frenzy. The lucky winner I decided on was the crossbow and decided to use the rage (2 inch blade). I decided to go to the stand that we call "The Tank" that is known to always have hogs. It takes me about 5 min to get down there and hit the test timer (Feeder was completely picked clean). As soon as I hit the feeder I took off like a race horse to the 12 foot ladder stand. These hogs always come in super quick during the summer with very little hunting pressure. The feeder was to my south east at about 25 yards and the wind was blowing to the northeast. It wasn't the best wind but should do the trick. Once I made it back to the blind I got all setup - mask on, arrow locked in, and enjoyed the sound of nature. The hogs usually come out southeast from the feeder (towards the tank). It took about 5 minutes and I heard a grunt coming from the northwest. Then heard a gallop or two which turned into a stampede. It was a frenzy of pigs making their way in behind me through the white brush. The hogs never come in from this direction which was a little strange and not good for the wind. I turned around got the safety off because I knew this was going to be quick shot until they got the wind of me. The hogs ran about 5 yards behind me in the thickest white brush I could just make the outline of their bodies, but I had a shooting lanes I was hoping one would stop on. Unfortunately, I heard the snort and they all took off. I thought the hunt was over and was sending a text to my dad to tell him the hunt was over. However, I looked up towards the feeder and their was a dinosaur walking in from the tank (southeast of the feeder where the hogs usually come from). I almost fell about 12 ft I was just in shock of the size of this animal. This thing was waddling to the feeder like he was taking a stroll down Hollywood Boulevard. The boar cautiously made his way in and slowly started feeding. I had the crossbow up and knew my timeframe was short due to the wind. He slowly started to ear corn but was quartering to me slightly. Another group of pigs decided to show up with about 4 100 pounds. He finally turned broadside (right side towards me) and I was waiting for the right leg to step forward to expose vitals better. As soon as the leg went forward I let the arrow fly. I saw the big black boar take off like a bat out of hell. However, the arrow was sticking out like crazy and I knew I didn't get much penetration. The shot looked good behind the shoulder about halfway, but it looked like I hit the shield. The pig took off and the exact way he came and I heard some crashes and then nothing. I couldn't believe what just happened, but knew one thing. I for sure wasn't going to go look for that thing this evening and especially without an AR. I decided to go down and see if I could see any blood. At the feeder I didn't see anything and I decided to the last spot I saw him run into the brush. Boom, I spotted a drop of blood, but oh no I've been down this path before and this isn't looking good. Then out of the corner of my eye I could see some green fletching about 5 yards into the brush. Perfect, I wanted to see the kind of penetration. It was not good....
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Arrow.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	25222194

I only had about 3 inches of penetration, but had good blood about halfway up the arrow. My first thoughts were I either hit the opposite shoulder and the arrow bounced back. Or this hog is going to live another day. Also, I looked up and could see blood on the outside of the hog tunnel in the white brush.

Name:	Trail.jpg
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	25222195

I decided to get back to the house for the evening and look for him in the morning. After a long night of little sleep it was 7 am and I decided to head back down to the feeder. I had the good ole AR with me with a full round of ammo. I got down to the hog tunnel where I last saw blood above (about 50 yards from the feeder). The brush was so thick I decided the only thing I can really do is crawl on my hands and knees. I slowly started to crawl and was looking all around me. About 5 yards ahead of me I saw some more blood on the brush but not much blood at all. About 5 yards later the trails came to a T and I didn't see any blood. I stood up and try to look around me but the white brush was so thick. I got back on my hands and knees and decided to go to the trail that went to the right. I started crawling about another 15 yards and didn't see anything. I had about 5 cactus thorns in my hand and the thought of filling all 7 feeders in 100 degree weather started to kick in my head. I decided to crawl to my left towards the other trail. I was slowly crawling then all of a sudden BAMMM about 5 yards to my left was the largest thing I've ever seen. I got the AR locked and loaded faster than the speed of sound. The Dinosaur was DEAD!! I couldn't believe the size of this animal. I killed about a 300+ pig (avatar) when I was in middle school about 13 years ago. This thing made that look like an infant. The tusk to the girth on this animal was unreal. I've never seen anything like it. The hog only ran about 80-100 yards and was piled up. The arrow must of gone through and bounced off the opposite shoulder.

Name:	Hog piled up.jpg
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	25222196

The phone call to the dad began and was still amazed at the size of this animal. However, the though of how the hell am I going to get this out of here kicked in. Thank god for the Polaris ranger, chain, and rope!

Name:	Dinosaur.jpg
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	25222197

The one time I didn't have a scale. However, we measured the hog and from its snout to the base of tail was 64 in and the girth around the stomach was 64 inch as well. I put up a photo for reference but my friend is about 320-330 pounds for reference and this makes him look small. My guess the size is about 400 pounds maybe a little over. What are yall thoughts?

Name:	Gary.jpg
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	25222198

What an amazing hunt and trophy that I will remember for the rest of my life. Thanks for listening!
    Last edited by Uvaldebowhunter; 08-21-2020, 08:12 AM.

That pig doesnt need any camera magic, wow what a beast!

Comment

Congrats on a monster hog

Comment

Wow, what a monster!!

Comment

That sucker is HUGE. Congratulations

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

So the weight scale calculation, 64x64x64 Divided by 400= 655.36
              But your measurement was taken around the stomach not the chest.
              Say for giggles we give him 58 inches , then he's 487 based on the weight scale.

Anyhow, WOW he's huge.

Comment

Congrats on the beast! Wish you would have had scales its rare to see one go 400+ Im not doubting he is 400lb i just would like to see him on the scales!

Last one i shot that was about the same size i had the same issue no scales.... Now i have scales and havent shot one that big in years...

Comment

Nice one.
                  Try out this formula

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Comment

I am thinking it weighs between 275 and 300. Nice hog.

-john

Comment

Pig of a lifetime, please mount that monster! Did you have him on any of your old game camera, or did he just appear one day?

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                          So the weight scale calculation, 64x64x64 Divided by 400= 655.36
                          But your measurement was taken around the stomach not the chest.
                          Say for giggles we give him 58 inches , then he's 487 based on the weight scale.

Anyhow, WOW he's huge.
                          Length is base if tail to ears also. He measured to snout.
                          My estimate based on his measurements puts it at 416#

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Hog Boss right there. congrats!

Comment

What a trophy to take with your crossbow, dang that stinker is big. You gotta wonder what he's been eating to get so large in these summertime conditions. Congratulations on getting him. That's one to be super proud of.

Comment

Working...
                              X