Trailer brake question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trailer brake question

I bought a brand new 20’ with brakes. My brother came over today to borrow it, we are going to his lease in the AM. He called me tonight and told me that the emergency brake cable was pulled out, and he didn’t know it. I guess the cows could have pulled it out some how, no idea when. He said that the wheels turned just fine, even on my gravel drive. I’m guessing it activated the brakes until the onboard battery died. Did this burn up my magnets?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can’t imagine the battery would last long. Put a volt meter on the battery to see what is going on. Or put the emergency cable back in and hook up to a truck with brake controller and see if you have working brakes.

Comment

Originally posted by savin yours View Post
      I bought a brand new 20’ with brakes. My brother came over today to borrow it, we are going to his lease in the AM. He called me tonight and told me that the emergency brake cable was pulled out, and he didn’t know it. I guess the cows could have pulled it out some how, no idea when. He said that the wheels turned just fine, even on my gravel drive. I’m guessing it activated the brakes until the onboard battery died. Did this burn up my magnets?

Probably Would have glazed over the drums or rotors if battery wasn’t dead
      Hopefully emergency cord activity made battery dead so magnets didn’t work
      Charge up battery and hook up to truck Pigtail and test
      Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 09-10-2020, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
        Probably glazed over the drums or rotors
        Hopefully emergency cord activity made battery dead so magnets didn’t work

I’m thinking the battery didn’t last long, it’s a very small one.

Comment

Originally posted by savin yours View Post
          I’m thinking the battery didn’t last long, it’s a very small one.

My trailer uses a 12v deer feeder battery, I usually don’t charge it ( and have no idea if the brake away switch works)
          And just test brakes with my control After it’s loaded to check the gain

Comment

I've never heard of the magnets going bad from 12v applied to them. Replace the breakaway switch, grab another battery or run without it for now.

Comment

Tell him to squeeze his brake controller, if it slides the tires your good. Some trailers have a built in charger that charges the battery back.

Comment

Nothing will happen to the electric brakes if the brake away cord was pulled. Obviously the battery on the trailer gets drained. As mentioned above, check the brakes by manually activating the brake controller.

Comment

Check the trailer plug where it connects to the vehicle especially if it’s Chinese made. A lot of them are faulty especially if using an adapter. These can lock the brakes up.

Comment

So we checked the brakes before we left and all seem fine. Drove from Brazoria to Del Rio, about 2/3 on the way back now. I guess this little battery on trailer charges really slow, it’s still showing a low state of charge.

Comment

Working...
                    X