No announcement yet.

Best caliber for an AR?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just for fun- here is some quality Czech Republic reading from the box of S&B’s.
    Y’all can thank me later for the enlightenment these pics will provide
    [emoji51]. (Actually spells out whats going on pretty plainly)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
      Please tell me what optic you’ve been running on your Grendel, and if it’s allowed you to shoot more P Dogs
      No optic. Same results

Comment

If money means anything, There are only 3 rounds available for the AR than are cheap to shoot - .223, 7.62X39 & 6.5 Grendel (or 6.5x39).

If I remember right, the 6.8 SPC & 6.5 Grendel are pretty close ballistically - but 6.8 SPC is going to be more like $1 a pop vrs about 25 cents per for the cheap Wolf 6.5 Grendel ammo. Of course the better 6.5 Grendel ammo is about $1 each also, but at least there is some cheap fodder available - if you feel like shooting 100 rounds 1 day, with the 6.5 that can cost $25 whereas the 6.8 will be more like $100.

A lot of guys have more $$ than me, but you can guess what upper I have (& recommend).

Comment

Originally posted by KX500 View Post
          If money means anything, There are only 3 rounds available for the AR than are cheap to shoot - .223, 7.62X39 & 6.5 Grendel (or 6.5x39).

If I remember right, the 6.8 SPC & 6.5 Grendel are pretty close ballistically - but 6.8 SPC is going to be more like $1 a pop vrs about 25 cents per for the cheap Wolf 6.5 Grendel ammo. Of course the better 6.5 Grendel ammo is about $1 each also, but at least there is some cheap fodder available - if you feel like shooting 100 rounds 1 day, with the 6.5 that can cost $25 whereas the 6.8 will be more like $100.

A lot of guys have more $$ than me, but you can guess what upper I have (& recommend).

Except for the sectional density advantage of the 6.5 they are basically twins out to 500-600 yards, from there out the 6.5 runs off with it but IMO neither of them are adequate hunting rounds past 500 yards anyway.

Comment

^but .308 sure is . Why short yourself . Shoot a real round.

Comment

Originally posted by eastxhunter View Post
              Plenty of better rounds than 308. Why short yourself? See how that works

Comment

^ why haven’t any been listed so far ?

Comment

My 14 yr old is dying to buy an AR. I've never owned one and only shot a 223 a handful of times. Would the 6.5G be adequate on Aoudad and axis inside of 250 yards?

If so, Where's a good place to start looking and what can he expect to spend?

Comment

Because most people don’t want to tote around a 20# AR10....

We are talking real AR’s as in AR15

Comment

If I am gonna drag around a 12 pound rifle it wont be an AR10 in 308Win. I own 7 AR15 platform rifles in all different calibers, the 6.5 Grendel is my favorite.

Do you own a 6.5 Grendel?

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
                        If I was going for a 16” or longer the Grendel would be the leader in the clubhouse. If I was looking at an AR pistol or sbr, I’d lean towards 300 blackout
                        This or 6.8 for 16"+

Comment

I also just put together a 6.8SPCII and haven't been to the range yet. I have three or four name brands of ammo i'm going to try. Can't wait!

Originally posted by peterp63 View Post
                          Sounds like the majority are in the 6.8/6.5 camp.

I just put together a 6.8 SPC and can’t wait to get to the range!

Do the ballistics of the 6.5 bullet really play a large role in the accuracy and range in an AR platform?

Comment

I definitely want one that I can play around with for less than $1 a round.

Rick

Comment

1-7" or 1-8" .223 Wylde chamber.

Comment

Under 200 - 7.62x39
                                Out to 500 - 6.5 grendel
                                Close the thread

Comment

Working...
                                X