Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
    Way over their head bro .
    10+ yrs ago, the EPA released a statement, that there are no waters in the lower 48 that are considered safe to eat fish from.
    All waters have levels of contaminants over what is considered safe.
    But drill baby drill, deregulate the EPA, and lets get to f$%&ing things up worse than they already are.
    Then when you get cancer, just pray and blame it on the devil .

Comment

If some of you fellas don't plan on having kids or are over 55/60 want to eat Community Cats or Cats from the Sewer, knock yourselves out,,, but for God's Sake, don't give it to you kids and young family members.
      As mentioned, this is why cancer is up and kids are born with unfortunate genetic and physical conditions.

I doubt anyone on here who can afford $2000+ leases and build $1500 AR-15s, etc. is having a hard time putting food on the table to be forced to go and catch Community Lake Cat/bass/crappie to put on the table....
      Come on y'all!!! Put some thoughts behind some actions....
      Last edited by ATI; 04-17-2020, 09:54 AM.

Comment

To me there is nothing wrong with a little fertilizer in a pond. Helps with algae and micro-organisms. The pesticides are what would worry me, but those too should breakdown fairly quickly. I don't know what type of fish you are catching. Bream would be better than catfish, and bass maybe the worst of those 3. I have no idea where the pond gets its water and where the run-off it receives may come from. I would eat from a community pond after checking this out, but I would not eat fish from a golf course pond as they are using lots of chemicals and they use them often.

Comment

I appreciate the comments guys. Fishing in the pond was just for a fun thing to do since everyone is cooped up in the house with all the crap going on. The kids were excited about catching keeper eating sized fish and wanted to keep some to clean and fry up. I figured it would be a fun and country boy educational thing to do. I am not all that worried about fertilizers and pesticides from yards. Most of the fertilizers are watered into the yard when applied and pesticides can burn off and are not typically applied before a rain anyway. If you think about it, and if you have some knowledge of vegetation and run off/hydrology, the yards that are taken care of to that extent have good ground coverage and grass cover. So when it rains the water will infiltrate into the soil and there really won't be that much of a run off if any from those yards. More of the run off comes from the streets, sidewalks and areas without vegetation coverage. In this part of the world we avg about 19" of rain a year so saturated soils that would hold surface water in a yard or cause some run off isn't an issue either.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
            Way over their head bro .
            10+ yrs ago, the EPA released a statement, that there are no waters in the lower 48 that are considered safe to eat fish from.
            All waters have levels of contaminants over what is considered safe.
            But drill baby drill, deregulate the EPA, and lets get to f$%&ing things up worse than they already are.
            Then when you get cancer, just pray and blame it on the devil .
            Yeah, the EPA is full of great information. I would rely on them for anything. I mean, they did such a bang up job with fuel cans.

Comment

Originally posted by ATI View Post
              If some of you fellas don't plan on having kids or are over 55/60 want to eat Community Cats or Cats from the Sewer, knock yourselves out,,, but for God's Sake, don't give it to you kids and young family members.
              As mentioned, this is why cancer is up and kids are born with unfortunate genetic and physical conditions.

I doubt anyone on here who can afford $2000+ leases and build $1500 AR-15s, etc. is having a hard time putting food on the table to be forced to go and catch Community Lake Cat/bass/crappie to put on the table....
              Come on y'all!!! Put some thoughts behind some actions....
              Really? Post the literature for that please. Would love to read it.

Comment

I think you are more likely to die of cancer by continuing to eat fast food, processed food, chemical enhanced foods, hormoned up saline injected meat and so forth......than some fresh crappie, bass or catfish from the neighborhood lake.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawhunter View Post
                  Yeah, the EPA is full of great information. I would rely on them for anything. I mean, they did such a bang up job with fuel cans.
                  They do set the standards, and not everything they do has an agenda .
                  I've spent 2 decades studying water, and testing it.
                  What do you know about it?
                  My post was common sense.
                  You shouldn't need the EPA or anyone to tell you that.

Originally posted by Man View Post
                  I think you are more likely to die of cancer by continuing to eat fast food, processed food, chemical enhanced foods, hormoned up saline injected meat and so forth......than some fresh crappie, bass or catfish from the neighborhood lake.
                  100%, unless you are eating a lot of fish from a body of water with extremely high levels, of heavy metals.

There are a LOT of bodies of water like that though.
                  Especially those in proximity to power plants, industrial areas, etc..
                  Anyone in the Longview area remember the Perky renovation?
                  Know anything about the heavy metal levels before they did it?
                  Think they really fixed anything lol.
                  It's cheaper to pay a $500k fine from the EPA, then to do a 2 million dollar scrubber change out.
                  You think they put the signs up just so they can spend some money?
                  Or might there just be some liability there if they didn't?
                  That's just airborne stuff, and we still have runoff to consider.
                  Sorta how 3M & Dupont put a cancer causing chemical into every single human on earth, then just dumped the waste into the rivers.
                  Read up on Gen X(not the generation), and C8.
                  Or how about the Galveston bay complex?
                  That's a good one.
                  And multiply that by 10,000s of companies who do the same?
                  We're ruining our waters as fast as we can but who cares right?
                  Unfortunately nobody is interested in this stuff, and it always comes down to, "it's just Democrat agenda".
                  In the end your local drinking water is most likely much more dangerous, than eating a few fish from a local pond.
                  Probably along the lines of eating a few packs of hot dogs .
                  Last edited by MadHatter; 04-17-2020, 10:00 PM.

Comment

So.........can you batter a Tide Pod and cook it in peanut oil at 375?

Op, please don't feed your kids that fish. Take 'em somewhere else to catch some good eats. Not one person here has tested the water at your neighborhood retention ponds and can realistically and accurately tell you those fish are edible for human consumption.

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
                      So.........can you batter a Tide Pod and cook it in peanut oil at 375?

Op, please don't feed your kids that fish. Take 'em somewhere else to catch some good eats. Not one person here has tested the water at your neighborhood retention ponds and can realistically and accurately tell you those fish are edible for human consumption.
                      Spot on. If they're little kids, just clean a few to show them how and so they think they're eating the fish they caught, but buy some farm-raised catfish to actually cook. If they are a little older, as mentioned above, use it as an education tool on watching what they eat.

Comment

Originally posted by critter69 View Post
                        Yes it’s sad that it’s to this point, even a lot of our high country lakes have recommended limits. And many lower elevation lakes and rivers recommend not to eat any. And I don’t think you can leave them in a tank long enough to detoxify them.
                        I would think the same, if they have something like mercury in them, they got mercury in them, you ain't getting it out. I don't know about PCBs and other crap. We watched a show on the Formosa plant and Point Comfort, but still never got a good understanding of PCBs and what damage they can do and how long they are a problem. They definitely seemed to be a serious problem in Point comfort, but the Formosa plant seemed to be dumping a hell of a lot of PCBs in the water there.

Comment

Working...
                        X