Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let’s talk bullet performance at close range.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Trapper76 View Post
    Bullets are designed to open at high velocities, so I don’t think you should be worried about them not expanding at close ranges. Some magnum 30cal cartridges are traveling faster at 100yrds than the 308 travels at 50. I would be worried more about over expansion at close ranges, shouldn’t be a problem with the gmx.
    I have to disagree with this. I shot a buck several years ago with a 300 win mag at about 35 yards and I thought I had missed because he just kept walking. 2 shots later he took off running and made it more than 200 yards. All 3 shots were in the heart and lung area. I think the bullets were partitions. I loaded some polymer tipped and the next deer was less than 20 yards and dropped like a rock.

Comment

Originally posted by cuttingedge View Post
      I have to disagree with this. I shot a buck several years ago with a 300 win mag at about 35 yards and I thought I had missed because he just kept walking. 2 shots later he took off running and made it more than 200 yards. All 3 shots were in the heart and lung area. I think the bullets were partitions. I loaded some polymer tipped and the next deer was less than 20 yards and dropped like a rock.
      So what did the bullets do?

Comment

Originally posted by cuttingedge View Post
        So are you saying that if that bullet was traveling slower it would have expanded? My conclusion would have been that the bullet was to tough for the game shot with it. I have never came across any data that showed that a bullet designed to expand, would fail to expand at too high of velocity. Certainly no disrespect intended, just asking for clarification.

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
          So what did the bullets do?

I actually like this thinking. So velocity isn’t the question now. It’s weather the deer is enough to get the bullet expanding. I also sent to question to Hornadys customer service. I will report back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Hornady Interlok, Federal Sierra Game King, Remington Cor Lok in whatever grain your gun shoots best are ideal for whitetail under 100 yards. I have had excellent results with all three in .308 and .270.

In the guns I have owned, the Sierra Game King is the most consistently accurate, followed by the hornady. I do have one nearly 60 year old Remington 700 that loves cor loks above all others though.

All of those rounds are reasonably priced and widely available. The one .308 I owned preferred 165-168 grain bullets over the 150's and 180's, but I don't remember the twist.

I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a 180 grain cup and core bullet at those distances either, but it isn't necessary. Velocity just shouldn't be much of a factor in your decision at the distances you are shooting with a .308.

Federal Fusion is another I have had good performance and accuracy with also.

GMX are good bullets, but they aren't ideal for your application and are unnecessary for Texas White Tails
            Last edited by El General; 02-07-2020, 12:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
              I actually like this thinking. So velocity isn’t the question now. It’s weather the deer is enough to get the bullet expanding. I also sent to question to Hornadys customer service. I will report back

Velocity is key on these solid copper / tougher bonded bullets...Barnes makes a solid copper bullet specifically for the 300 Blackout that expands at the slower speeds & performs wonderfully.

You wouldn't want to shoot those in the larger calibers & you wouldn't want to shoot the bullets they make for speed in the blackout.

The 308 is in the middle & doesn't need solid copper or bonded bullets because it's not that fast...not that they won't work per say, it's just the traditional copper over lead bullets are a better option for that caliber. You are really over thinking it & I would try the SST or the Federal Fusion, corelokt, etc. & pick the most accurate & go hunting. Our little whitetail with a 308 within 100yds is about as perfect as you can get & paying for a high dollar bullet is not going to make them deader & will likely have less of a blood trail.

Comment

At 100yds with a 308 I would imagine most things will perform well enough to get the job done. If you are wanting to get as tight of groups as possible with factory loads with the 1:10 twist I would start out with some inexpensive 180gr ammo the work your way down through different grain weights 175 165 155 150. See which shoots best out of you specific rifle then start trying out better quality stuff in that grain weight. A good inexpensive hunting round that I have found to perform well on game and accurate is Federal Fusion. I have put it through 7 or 8 different rifles and 5 or 6 different calibers and it has been sub moa in all of them. I have shot a lot of different factory loads in many different calibers especially since I have gotten into rifle mods and longer range stuff and I have to say I have not seen or heard all that much on the GMX bullets being all that great. I am not saying they are bad bullets but nothing just great beyond other stuff. Something else I have come to the conclusion of especially after using a chronograph is that if it isn't federal or hornady I wouldn't mess with it and Winchester ammo is NOT worth messing with. It is extremely inconsistent.

Comment

At those ranges any cup and core bullet will work fine. I will get flamed for this but in my 308 I only shot the 125 Nosler BT. It worked flawless from point blank to 400 yards, it is designed with the jacket used on the 165 grain so it is thicker and heaver than other BT's. At close range I didn't always get a pass thru but they didn't grenade either, out past 100 yards they always left a good exit. I killed several big pigs and some deer with these bullets and are what I would use again.

Comment

In your situation I would choose Nosler Partitions in the weight that shoots best in your rifle.

Monolithic bullets work better at higher velocities.

Comment

Yes bullets can go too fast.
                      Good read:

Comment

Here is what Hornady replies back with.

Comment

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
                          Here is what Hornady replies back with.

FWIW, after each of us ordered our meal at dinner this evening, the waitress stated, "That's a very good choice". We all ordered something different. I wanted to ask what would have been a poor choice

Based on personal experience with the Hornady GMX and Barnes TSX, ALWAYS expect an exit but don't expect a fantastic blood trail.....if any blood at all.

Comment

Working...
                          X