Teacher pay raises

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jlopez View Post
    This is a ridiculous statement. Teachers get paid crap. They are the ones teaching our future and should be compensated well for what they do.

How much do you feel teachers should start out making? And what should the max cap be? And what metrics should determine raises? Please give exact figures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by centex_aggie View Post
      How much do you feel teachers should start out making? And what should the max cap be? And what metrics should determine raises? Please give exact figures.

Starting at $50k is not bad, but maxing at $60k is not right. They should get well for what they do, teaching the kids of our future. When they have to pay insurance on top of that it doesn’t leave much left. And yes, my wife is a teacher.

Comment

Originally posted by Dakota7493 View Post
        Ha....you don’t get it. You can not buy supplies and what the kids need by choice like you said and leave it up to parents. But when the parents don’t give a **** it comes back to the teacher who DOES GIVE A **** ABOUT YOUR KIDS! That’s why out of pocket money is spent on these kids. Your job you speak of isn’t a human being so not spending money on it isn’t the same f’en thing.

I understand just fine. 9 times out of ten my tax dollars are already going to said kid and his parents. Parents don’t buy school supplies and teacher gets attached to kid and takes it upon their self to buy supplies for said kid. Teacher complains because she spent her own money on kid even though teacher already as low salary. Now teacher wants taxes raised even more so they can get a raise. It may be thoughtless it may be rude but I’m not responsible for a kid education that is not my own. I’m not going to voluntarily give a teacher a raise so they can spend money on a kid that they feel sorry for. People need to go back to solving their own problems rather than rely on the government to do it.

I’m not against teachers. Are they “under paid”? Maybe. Most government employees are. Prison guards make less and have a dangerous job. Make a change for yourself, don’t ask the world around you to change.

Comment

Teacher pay raises

Every kid you’re “not responsible” for that gets a ****ty education becomes a drain on society with food stamps, welfare, etc. This is the extreme end of the spectrum but 9 out of 10 of your tax dollars are going here. Same goes for me. There are great teachers leaving the profession cause it’s fruitless no matter how you look at it. Politics of it just plain suck, people without education backgrounds making decisions on how education should be run. Most school boards are the same way. On top of that, pay isn’t a plus to over look all of this, parents aren’t fun either. We’re not just teaching these kids, we’re raising them when parents should be. This isn’t all parents but sadly it’s most of them. Public education is free to all but someone has to pay the bill even if you don’t have kids or they’re grown.

When and if this country gets its priorities straight, you might see 10 out of 10 of your tax dollars going into education in one way or the other. We’re far removed from the greatest generation. Today’s kids are the working force when you’re retired. What’s this country going to look like with a bunch of kids that no one was responsible for with their education.

Last I looked, teaching is becoming pretty **** hazardous too. Teachers and prison guards....good comparison? Rodeo clowns put it out there too, probably make more then teachers ! [emoji23]
          Last edited by Dakota7493; 06-16-2019, 07:02 PM.

Comment

I’ve never seen a occupation where so many are so unhappy but do nothing about it.
            I think teachers are great and what you do is great, I was going to teach but decided to go another direction very early in my career. My wife is a 20 year teacher so I hear it all. All of you need to come together and fight for change, as long as you take it nothing is going to change.
            You are all educated people with the ability to define the change that is necessary, someone just needs to take the lead.
            If you are waiting on your administration to do something for you then you will die first.
            It shouldn’t just be about money either it should also be about standardized testing, teaching to the lowest common denominator, corporal punishment, etc.

I’m not a union guy but it blows my mind listening to so many teachers complaining but I never see anyone do anything. It doesn’t seem like it would be very difficult to get a movement started to initiate change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I pay quite a bit in school taxes every year. I did before I had kids and will long after mine are grown. People also paid taxes when I was growing up to pay for my public education.

I work in the public sector in a highly competitive part of the state. Because of this, my employer has to pay to get good help. If they don’t pay, the help goes next door. It is what it is.

I disagree with school districts paying unGodly sums for new schools. I’d rather the buildings be kept simple and spend the money on the people. That’s not happening any time soon.

The problem with public education is there are too many young folks who think they can save the world. They invest four or five years of their lives and tens of thousands of dollars to become teachers. They then start their career and after a few years realize the pay, kids, parents and system suck. They can either find something else to do with that expensive degree or take what they’re given. What kills teachers is that if they quit, there’s two more to take their spot, at least in competitive schools.

I don’t know what the answer is as long as there are people willing to fill positions for less pay.

Comment

Originally posted by rut-ro View Post
                All of the major districts if Fort Bend .... Fort Bend ISD, Lamar ISD... Katy ISD.
                My wife called BS10 on this one. Took her 2 minutes to look up Katy and starting pay is 53k Would take over 20 years to get to 60k.

Comment

I’m in this boat myself. I’ll be starting my 20th year this fall. I have 8 left to get my 80 number for retirement. I have no idea what I want to do after but anything is going to be better with the **** I have to put up with. We foster an environment of entitlement and none of these kids have done a thing to deserve it. Everything is free to them and you can’t tell them otherwise. Discipline?! Well yeah, they need an arse whippin by their parents but when they’re the root what do you do. You can tell who’s parents are doing them right but it’s a small number. It translates to the real world too. It’s why police officers struggle. “You can’t tell me what to do” attitude everywhere. A simple traffic stop turns to a shoot out. I see kids I know in the news all the time. It’s sad but I tell my wife that they’ve been that way since middle school.
                  It's very clear in 1st grade where most kids are headed. And yes, just meet the parents and then it's really clear.

Ha....you don’t get it. You can not buy supplies and what the kids need by choice like you said and leave it up to parents. But when the parents don’t give a **** it comes back to the teacher who DOES GIVE A **** ABOUT YOUR KIDS! That’s why out of pocket money is spent on these kids. Your job you speak of isn’t a human being so not spending money on it isn’t the same f’en thing.
                  He doesn't have kids so why should he care?

Once the good teachers give up (which is starting to happen at a higher rate) the schools are going to be left with just the POS teachers. Education will tank... ISD's will cover up bad test scores as long as possible through revised or modified testing.

My guess is things will be bad in 10 years all over. IMO right now there are quite a few good areas. Those areas are mainly where good conservatives live and one spouse makes good money and the other teaches. And most start teaching because they have kids and can be active while earning something also. But as these areas get flooded with idiots (like Leander has) and conservatives are vastly outnumbered they won't teach.

Comment

Something else, we need to let kids fail! My daughter just finished sixth grade and knew if she tanked a test she could retake it. She’d generally have to retake them and then do fine. This is crazy! That’s not how the world works!

I’d also suggest ending mandatory education at eighth grade. By that point, a person knows enough to function. To advance, you pass some sort of test and earn your way. We have to quit dragging slugs along that hurt others education.

Comment

We are told not to fail kids period! 5th graders get 3 shots at passing the STAAR tests and still maybe forwarded to middle school even if they fail 3 times! Most will only hold a kid back once in elementary and all this does if he cannot pass the 5th grade is to move his problems up the ladder to middle school WITHOUT helping this kid and putting this problem on his teachers in middle school.

Most that do not agree with a raise for teachers have no earthly idea what we have to put up with on a daily basis. I am in the minority being a Special Ed teacher that deals with kids with an OHI or ED and have basically behavior problems daily in class. I have yet to find a teacher in the 2 school I have worked at that would do what I do on a daily basis. I had a fairly decent year this past year as this was the first year I did not get BLOODIED while working with these kids and this has all been with elementary kids. We have and have had kindergarten kids that would drop F bombs at any moment and at any time.
                      Honestly I see where some fo not want tax raises going to cover the cost of teacher pay raises. I would like a pay raise, but in my last year before I retire in May 2020, it is not a deal breaker.

My question is, WHERE IN THE HELL IS THIS MONEY FROM THE LOTTERY THAT WAS GOING TO GO TO SCHOOLS?

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                        My question is, WHERE IN THE HELL IS THIS MONEY FROM THE LOTTERY THAT WAS GOING TO GO TO SCHOOLS?
                        I think this was a lie told by Ann Richards?? to get elected and get the Lottery into Texas. It was to be a blessing to school districts and eliminate the Robin Hood act of robbing rich districts and giving to the poor districts.

Comment

Well....early reports from my district are between 5-6% raises. Better then previous years but was hoping for closer to 8-9% which is still short of the $5k across the board that was floated earlier.

Comment

Just read that our district will institute pay raises for every classroom educator including teachers that would be no less than 5% however those with 5 years or more of experience would get a 6% raise. I am currently on step 6 or our district at $45+ and my pay raise for next year was going up a whopping $200 so if they do the 6% raise for me it should put me over $48,000 with a $2700 (6%) raise. We will see!

Comment

My wife is starting a new teaching job at an elementary school in Livingston in August. She just found out that they are getting a $3k per year pay raise before she even starts. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with this or not.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                                My wife called BS10 on this one. Took her 2 minutes to look up Katy and starting pay is 53k Would take over 20 years to get to 60k.
                                Yes with starting base is 53, if you do extra you get stipends and there is certification pay which could bring a first year teacher over 60

Comment

Working...
                                X