Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 06-09-2021, 07:35 AM   #1
creekbottom02
Four Point

Hunt In: Papalote TX
Default bed cover with tool box??

Anyone know if you can use a "bed rail" height tool box with a bed cover, such a a bak flip or something like that?

i know some of the bed covers have a built in tool box but i would like to use the low profile weather guard

If not what is everyone using for tool and accessory storage with a bed cover??? im about to buy a bak flip for my f250 but i would like to have a place to hold tools, jumper cables, ropes ect
creekbottom02 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-09-2021, 07:52 AM   #2
MadHatter
Pope & Young

Let me know if you find one.
They have the decked systems but they make your bed useless.
MadHatter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-09-2021, 08:01 AM   #3
Dusty8186
Six Point

Hunt In: Quanah, TX

my dad bought a bed cover that goes up against his toolbox. I'll have to remember to ask him the brand.
Dusty8186 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-09-2021, 08:21 AM   #4
LarryP_1989
Eight Point

Hunt In: Grimes, Walker cty.

https://www.amazon.com/UnderCover-Sw...24587435&psc=1

A swing case like this may work for you depending on how much you are needing to store. I have a bed cover and this is the route I will be going soon.
LarryP_1989 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-09-2021, 08:51 AM   #5
dgilbert
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke Co

This what I did, not the best but serves a lot my purpose. Bought this topper and cut the support frame to fit. Is not completely water proof, nor will get the thieves completely out but it a deterrent.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
dgilbert is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-09-2021, 08:59 AM   #6
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackleford Co.

I have a Swingcase which fits with my Undercover Armour-Flex folding bed cover. One case is enough for what I carry but you can add a second one.
jerp is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-09-2021, 09:00 AM   #7
MillsJake
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie Co, Kimble Co, Liberty Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekbottom02 View Post
Anyone know if you can use a "bed rail" height tool box with a bed cover, such a a bak flip or something like that?

i know some of the bed covers have a built in tool box but i would like to use the low profile weather guard

If not what is everyone using for tool and accessory storage with a bed cover??? im about to buy a bak flip for my f250 but i would like to have a place to hold tools, jumper cables, ropes ect

Message CHrigging he has a bedcover with a toolbox/diesel tank combo. Not sure on what models he has but he can let you know
MillsJake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-09-2021, 09:15 AM   #8
Kcwwcb
Six Point

Hunt In: The Ranch, Medina County

Look in to the Diamondback Bed Cover. They have a tool box tray that hangs from the bedrails under the cover. I am on my second truck with one and absolutely love it.

https://diamondbackcovers.com/
Kcwwcb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-09-2021, 10:09 AM   #9
MagicBlade
Ten Point

Hunt In: Archer County Texas

Not sure I understand the need for bed covers.

But my buddy has one and twice has forgot to close his tailgate because he couldn't see it and lost a bag of tools one time and his drills the second time.
MagicBlade is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-09-2021, 10:15 AM   #10
creekbottom02
Four Point

Hunt In: Papalote TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicBlade View Post

But my buddy has one and twice has forgot to close his tailgate because he couldn't see it and lost a bag of tools one time and his drills the second time.

i like the idea of my stuff (ice chest, luggage, fishing rods ect) being out of sight and dry, i know its not a safe back there but it might make someone think twice. plus i can fold it back if i need to haul something tall or pull a gooseneck
creekbottom02 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2021, 03:54 PM   #11
David_le
Four Point

I have a Weatherguard toolbox and Extang Solid Fold bed cover on my '15 F250. I looked for a variety of covers to use a low profile tool box with a cover. The problem with this is that all or the vast majority of low profile tool boxes have the handles in front of the toolbox which would end up being covered or blocked by the bed cover thus making your toolbox pretty useless. I had to use the standard height tool box that has buttons/handles on the sides so you can open/close it while the cover is on.

My bed cover fits ok but it sits higher in front of the toolbox due to added "lip" you have to install there for the transition from toolbox to cover. Keeps the majority of water out but not all.
David_le is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2021, 09:00 PM   #12
dgilbert
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicBlade View Post

That has nothing to do with a bed covering, your buddy just needs to be more careful, geez.

Last edited by dgilbert; 06-10-2021 at 09:04 PM.
Old 06-10-2021, 09:02 PM   #13
dgilbert
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekbottom02 View Post
i like the idea of my stuff (ice chest, luggage, fishing rods ect) being out of sight and dry, i know its not a safe back there but it might make someone think twice. plus i can fold it back if i need to haul something tall or pull a gooseneck
Exactly you can't even go **** at the convenience store with an open bed during season.
Old 06-11-2021, 08:01 AM   #14
Sticks&Strings
Pope & Young

Unfortunately I am of no help, but I love a bed cover. I'll never own another truck without one. I personally use plastic totes for my tools. I like the flexibility of being able to easily remove them in case I need to haul something large like a piece of furniture, bikes, or even a fishing rod. I also like my stuff being out of the weather and out of sight of the boogie men. What sold me was a buddy who came to our place with several bags of corn in the back. It started to rain, and he just closed his bed cover. I would have been scrambling to unload all the corn.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Sticks&Strings is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2021, 12:12 AM   #15
Beardedbuck
Eight Point

Hunt In: Coleman County

I have a hard tri-fold and a tool chest underneath at the bulkhead. I figure that if I need in the box and the unit is still in the way in the fullest position I can take it off and do what I have to do, then put it back on. It takes less than 10 minutes to put it on from a complete removal, tracks/covers & all. I love my set up on my 2017 GMC Sierra 4x4.
Beardedbuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2021, 11:07 AM   #16
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

The best system I have found is the Fold a cover G4 Elite(may be a newer versions available by now) with their built in tool caddy.

I donít see any feasible way to use a below bed rail box and a bed cover unless you used a soft cover. But then your stuff isnít really secure.

My bed cover allows me full access to my stuff in the caddy plus folds flat against the front section instead of up against the back window making it useless for vision. I can also haul my 5th wheel or a gooseneck trailer when itís folded up. This is in a short bed Ram 2500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2021, 12:12 PM   #17
Gummi Bear
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Comanche & Eastland
Default bed cover with tool box??

I just throw a DeWalt toolbox under there. I always have baskets of parts in the truck anyhow. This thing fit the bill perfectly.

Bed cover is a Solid Fold by Extang. They also make a cover that will work with an over the rail toolbox. https://extang.com/solid-fold-2-0-toolbox

Last edited by Gummi Bear; 06-12-2021 at 12:15 PM.
Gummi Bear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2021, 04:31 PM   #18
Pintail45
Eight Point

Hunt In: Across the great blue yonder

Check out the American work cover. It's a toolbox with a retractable bed cover built in. Pricey but good.
Pintail45 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2021, 08:49 PM   #19
Stetsonoverton
Four Point

Hunt In: Motley, Kent counties

I have a uws that’s goes under a cover, works pretty good I had a decked box under it before and hated it
Stetsonoverton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top