Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2021, 06:33 PM   #201
DRT
Pope & Young
 
DRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Fort Worth, Tx
Hunt In: Jones County and Missouri
Default

Sad deal. Sorry for y'all's loss. Prayers sent for his family.
DRT is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2021, 06:55 PM   #202
Archery1st
Pope & Young
 
Archery1st's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Buda, Tx
Hunt In: Kinney County, Tx / Lampasas County, Tx / Union County, NM
Default

So sorry to hear this news..and sorry I didn't know him. The tattoo story is classic - wow! Prayers for all family and friends that are certainly feeling a great loss!
From what I've read though...celebrate his life that is the only way!
Archery1st is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2021, 07:13 PM   #203
Chad C
Pope & Young
 
Chad C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: The Hills
Default



Over the shoulder shot of Patek and Chicken. This was our first rodeo with Patek.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Chad C is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2021, 07:24 PM   #204
Burnadell
Pope & Young
 
Burnadell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: White Oak
Hunt In: Bee County
Default

As I have said before, I met Matthew (as I called him) at Bownanza a while back. I instantly knew he was a guy I would like to be friends with, but age and location differences did not work to that end, but I always paid attention to his posts just because I knew he was humorous and genuine.

Meeting folks like Matthew is why I cherish the opportunity to attend Bownanza when I can. I hate that many TBHers don't care to take advantage of the opportunity to put names with faces and acquiring friendships at Bownanza.

Dale, very poignant and eloquent tribute. Jason...likewise good description of the type of guy we take for granted all too often!

RIP, Matthew!
Burnadell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2021, 07:40 PM   #205
hopedale
Pope & Young
 
hopedale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Williamson county
Hunt In: WMAs
Default

Prayer sent for his family and friends.
hopedale is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2021, 09:31 PM   #206
Ben
Eight Point
 
Ben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cisco
Default

Patek and his family have been heavy on my mind. What an absolute heartbreaker for so many. I only had the opportunity to hang with Matt a few times, but it doesnít take but one to become friends with Matt. Prayers continue for his girls, family and closest friends.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2021, 09:39 PM   #207
Tx_Wader
Pope & Young
 
Tx_Wader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: El Campo
Hunt In: Jackson County and Utopia
Default

Prayers for everyone; it is so hard to lose a friend.
Tx_Wader is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2021, 09:47 PM   #208
Double L
Pope & Young
 
Double L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Belton
Hunt In: Texas
Default

Some things you just don't want to read when you log on. This is one of them. Don't know how but our paths never crossed. Thoughts and prayers for his family and friends. Great tribute Dale.
Double L is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2021, 10:05 PM   #209
Atfulldraw
Pope & Young
 
Atfulldraw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hill Country
Hunt In: a high fence, southwest of DFW, Colorado
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebtattoos View Post
Cameron called and broke the news the other day. Still doesnít feel real. Itís been many years since Iíve hung out or really talked to many folks on here, but the Green Screen was a huge part of my life years back. And with that, I was fortunate enough to find people like Patek. Or if memory serves, he found me at a bownanza, and yelled at me out of the blue, then smiled and offered me a beer. After maybe 15 more we were friends.

My heart breaks for his family and his friends. Rod, thanks for dmíing me to read through all these great memories.
I hate the circumstances, but it is good to see you back on the green screen, Lee...

Those were some good times tracking that **** bobcat in the south Texas brush.

I think Patek was the only one that actually swallowed that meat, I spit mine out
Atfulldraw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2021, 11:36 PM   #210
Dale Moser
Pope & Young
 
Dale Moser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Wise Cty
Hunt In: Young Cty
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atfulldraw View Post
I hate the circumstances, but it is good to see you back on the green screen, Lee...

Those were some good times tracking that **** bobcat in the south Texas brush.

I think Patek was the only one that actually swallowed that meat, I spit mine out

Agreed!

And I heard this story....it all checks out.

Iím considering some work, if you are still in the business, Lee?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2021, 11:55 PM   #211
Atfulldraw
Pope & Young
 
Atfulldraw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hill Country
Hunt In: a high fence, southwest of DFW, Colorado
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
Agreed!

And I heard this story....it all checks out.

I’m considering some work, if you are still in the business, Lee?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


I'm quite sure that Matt's version was way more entertaining than mine!

He had a way with telling stories that I will forever miss.

This just ****ing sucks.
Atfulldraw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-23-2021, 04:55 AM   #212
Aggiestad
Ten Point
 
Aggiestad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Floresville, TX
Default

Prayers sent


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aggiestad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-23-2021, 06:25 AM   #213
miket
Pope & Young
 
miket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Plantersville
Hunt In: Grimes County, Victoria
Default

Hate to hear it! Prayers sent for family and friends
miket is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-23-2021, 06:52 AM   #214
BOWERIK
Ten Point
 
BOWERIK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Denton
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atfulldraw View Post
I hate the circumstances, but it is good to see you back on the green screen, Lee...

Those were some good times tracking that **** bobcat in the south Texas brush.

I think Patek was the only one that actually swallowed that meat, I spit mine out
I can verify that as we all battled through that South Texas brush in the dark, Patek did the whole thing wearing flip flops. He just kept saying it was no big deal as his feet were getting cut open, just pour some Lonestar on and get back in there.

That meat was vile.
BOWERIK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-23-2021, 07:41 AM   #215
Jzoch
Ten Point
 
Jzoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: La Grange, TX
Hunt In: Coke County
Default

Prayers up!!
Jzoch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-23-2021, 08:25 AM   #216
leebtattoos
Pope & Young
 
leebtattoos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Austin
Hunt In: lampasas, sabinal, and where ever i can
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
Agreed!

And I heard this story....it all checks out.

Iím considering some work, if you are still in the business, Lee?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I retired from tattooing 7 years ago now. Been selling real estate these days. Farm and ranch and single family.

That bobcat meat was as raw as sushi. Gnarly.
leebtattoos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-23-2021, 08:52 AM   #217
BOWERIK
Ten Point
 
BOWERIK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Denton
Default

That didn’t help the taste
BOWERIK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-23-2021, 09:04 AM   #218
ballgame
Ten Point
 
ballgame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Houston
Hunt In: Hill Country
Default

Prayers sent, tragic!!
ballgame is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-23-2021, 09:24 AM   #219
WRasco
Eight Point
 
WRasco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Cypress, TX
Hunt In: Online - Buy more gear than I Hunt...
Default

Cheers to a life well lived.
Parers for the family for a life too short.
WRasco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-23-2021, 09:35 AM   #220
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young
 
lovemylegacy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mauriceville
Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo
Default

Prayers for the Patek family
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-23-2021, 09:40 AM   #221
TildenHunter
Pope & Young
 
TildenHunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Houston
Hunt In: Tilden & Utopia
Default

Very sorry to hear this news. There are a few guys on here that I pay attention to their post, he was one of them. His sense of humor and genuine personality translated across the computer, which isn't always easy to do. Prayers for his family and friends! Godspeed
TildenHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-23-2021, 09:55 AM   #222
DeerGeek
Ten Point
 
DeerGeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Keller
Hunt In: Clay Co.
Default

Prayers up for the family.
DeerGeek is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-23-2021, 10:35 AM   #223
zztex
Pope & Young
 
zztex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: LaPorte
Default

Terrible to hear. Prayers up for his family
zztex is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-23-2021, 11:31 AM   #224
Fishndude
Pope & Young
 
Fishndude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, Texas
Hunt In: Mason, Ellis and Dimmit counties
Default

It’s a hard pill to swallow when someone so young and full of life passes. Even harder knowing he left a family behind who I’m sure adored him like so many here do. I wish I’d known Matt. He sounds like a real character and an all around great person. God bless him, his family and his friends. For those that were close to Matt, I’m sorry!!
Fishndude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-23-2021, 01:25 PM   #225
Wilson
Six Point
 
Wilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: United States of Texas
Default

RIP m_w_p
Attached Images
 
Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-23-2021, 02:01 PM   #226
Cameron
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Default

It is still hard to type out my thoughts, I feel there are no amount of words that can really honor Matt and what he has meant to my life the last 12 years.

It's weird, I've been incredibly lucky to make it this far in my life without a tragic, unexpected loss of someone this close to me and I'm struggling.

I'll miss the late night texts, the barrage youtube live music links and the big laugh. All those beers and jokes, stories about the girls.

I just keep reading old text messages and going through pictures and the one thing that sticks with me is how lucky we are. Not just with Matt, but with a lot of the brotherhood we get to experience in our lives. I thought I had another 40 years with him, but now it's become so clear to me that the only time we have, we've already spent.

Tell your friends you love them, take the extra time to send that text, make that call or even better...show up.

Like many here have said, I plan to be there for Steph and the girls as much and as often as they need me.

In an attempt to stop the rambling, I'll post one of my favorite photography moments, when Matt just gave up on trying to wrangle the girls for a family photo and just let the chaos happen around him.

I love you, buddy...see you on the other side.

Name:  patek-family-10-26-14 (54 of 213).jpg
Views: 686
Size:  140.6 KB
Cameron is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-23-2021, 02:08 PM   #227
Dale Moser
Pope & Young
 
Dale Moser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Wise Cty
Hunt In: Young Cty
Default TBH Lost A Legend Yesterday...Prayers Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
It is still hard to type out my thoughts, I feel there are no amount of words that can really honor Matt and what he has meant to my life the last 12 years.

It's weird, I've been incredibly lucky to make it this far in my life without a tragic, unexpected loss of someone this close to me and I'm struggling.

I'll miss the late night texts, the barrage youtube live music links and the big laugh. All those beers and jokes, stories about the girls.

I just keep reading old text messages and going through pictures and the one thing that sticks with me is how lucky we are. Not just with Matt, but with a lot of the brotherhood we get to experience in our lives. I thought I had another 40 years with him, but now it's become so clear to me that the only time we have, we've already spent.

Tell your friends you love them, take the extra time to send that text, make that call or even better...show up.

Like many here have said, I plan to be there for Steph and the girls as much and as often as they need me.


I love you, buddy...see you on the other side.

Attachment 1047494

Same, amigo.....every word.

It took A LOT of chaos, for Matt not to BE the chaos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-23-2021, 03:02 PM   #228
Rj Flores
Eight Point
 
Rj Flores's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Sullivan City
Hunt In: Starr
Default

God bless
Rj Flores is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-23-2021, 03:11 PM   #229
AtTheWall
Pope & Young
 
AtTheWall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Kerrville - Boerne - Rockport
Hunt In: Kerr County - Gillespie County
Default

Prayers and condolences up - tragic and sad.

Been through way too many of these here and personally.
AtTheWall is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-23-2021, 03:21 PM   #230
ShockValue
Pope & Young
 
ShockValue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Flower Mound, Tx
Hunt In: Hill Country
Default

Awful news...prayers for his family and friends. I never met him but he's one of the long time/old time TBHers that you always felt like you knew.
ShockValue is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-23-2021, 03:27 PM   #231
BOWERIK
Ten Point
 
BOWERIK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Denton
Default

I like some others have been trying to put my feelings into words. I have only been able to post a few pictures and some short stories. I still cannot discuss it or put into spoken words without breaking up and falling apart. Writing this is hard enough.

Like most here my first interaction was through Bownanza, maybe 2008 I donít really remember, but for 8 years after that we were inseparable. Matt use to call me Gramps, even at 38 I was still E or Gramps. He was there at my 40th surprise party and was a center of attention without trying to be and making fun of all of us old folks. Travisís ranch was our main meeting place but through the years it was the coast, New Braunfels, Vegas, Cowboyís game, or dove hunts.

We hadnít seen each other in way too long but would always end up getting a random late-night text or picture of his daughterís wade fishing or hunting. Matt and I shared a ride from San Saba to Lampasas in 2010 after a blown hog hunt and an argument with the landowner about something the landowners buddy had said to someone in our party. That discussion during those few hours between just the two of us would shape what Matt would become in the future, not because I say so but because of what Matt would always tell me and my wife reminding me every time we would see each other.

We spoke in January after Erv had passed and I told him how sorry I was that I had not made time to see him, and as Matt only could; he would laugh and tell me we are good and that we would make up that lost time.

I told him how much I missed sharing a fire with him and if we could make sure we got that on the schedule even if it was next hunting season, I would be good, and he agreed. I am glad for that last conversation and I am broken hearted by that last conversation thinking there would be enough time for all of us.

For Steph and the girls, I canít imagine, and another reason why this I so hard. They have a deep pool of friends that I hope they are able to find support for now and the future. I may post a few more pictures throughout the future on this and I will shed a tear every time I do. Love you and will always miss you Matt Patek.
Attached Images
 
BOWERIK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-23-2021, 04:08 PM   #232
Paycheck
Ten Point
 
Paycheck's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Waco
Default

How sad. God bless everyone.
Paycheck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-23-2021, 05:45 PM   #233
spur
Ten Point
 
spur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Troy, Texas
Hunt In: Officially a professional full-time grandpa!
Default

I didn't know him but from the comments I have no doubt he was a top shelf guy. He left a large family of good friends and I pray his family somehow finds some peace and comfort. I wish I had something to say to make this better. After 60 years of living and learning I sadly have nothing. Remember the good times and those who can check on his loved ones. They will need you.
spur is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-23-2021, 07:08 PM   #234
rcjunky007
Ten Point
 
rcjunky007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: ft. worth (river oaks)
Hunt In: Young Conty
Default

Prayers for his family. RIP brother.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
rcjunky007 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-23-2021, 07:39 PM   #235
Buckshot4900
Pope & Young
 
Buckshot4900's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Lake Fork (Emory)
Hunt In: Texas/Mississippi
Default

Praying for the family that they will lean on the one who knows all.
God can bring peace in the hardest times.
RIP Brother


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Buckshot4900 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-23-2021, 08:08 PM   #236
MassMan
Ten Point
 
MassMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Cypress
Hunt In: Fisher, Erath, LaSalle
Default

Rough. Unexpected loss at a young age is one of the toughest pitches life deals. Pray for those girls.
MassMan is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-23-2021, 09:46 PM   #237
cantexduck
Pope & Young
 
cantexduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Florence,Texas/ Willamson
Hunt In: all over central Texas
Default

Matt Patek was a special person . Like many have said above he went from someone you knew to a friend quicker then anyone I have met. No matter how much time passed between calls or texts it was always like we had just talked 5 min ago. My heart breaks for Steph and the girls. One of the very few people who call me Mikey. One of kind.
cantexduck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-23-2021, 09:49 PM   #238
cantexduck
Pope & Young
 
cantexduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Florence,Texas/ Willamson
Hunt In: all over central Texas
Default

Maybe 12 years ago.





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cantexduck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-23-2021, 10:16 PM   #239
Dale Moser
Pope & Young
 
Dale Moser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Wise Cty
Hunt In: Young Cty
Default TBH Lost A Legend Yesterday...Prayers Please

You dudes who are really struggling with this, know that you are not alone. Iíve been essentially worthless all week. My friend group that Matt endeared himself to so quickly, is a bunch of otherwise hardasses, and theyíre a **** show too. I call it a testament to the man our brother was.

The first time I met Matt was at an early Bownanza. We had bantered back and forth on here, and argued about some stuff (probably music, bows, or something goofy), because Matt liked to argue about as much as I do. I was at the nanza having stayed up all night, just choked down a daylight tequila shot at Legdogís insistence (as was custom when the pit was lit), and was nursing a D-Wayne Bloody Mary. I see a crew unload from a truck and come dragging a cooler in, looking collectively like death eatin a dry cracker. I recognized a couple guys but had no idea who was what. I noticed as they came across the parking lot that all were chugging gatorade and water...except one. That one had a baby blue in his hand, made eye contact with me, and immediately split off from the group toward me. He walked right up and said ďyouíre Moser, Iím Matt Patek, and we need to drink some beer!Ē And stuck out his paw. The handshake was not so much as over and another Lone Star Light appeared in his hand, which he opened and handed to me. It was all I could do to get the first drink down...40 minutes later we were 3 more beers in each, and I felt like I was talking to an old friend. It was surreal. We had a bunch more after that.

It wasnít until probably 6 years later until we wound up on a common group text because of Jason Smart, months later we were at my deer lease skinning Abrynís 1st doe, they moved to N. Texas, and it was over. We were at deer camp, we were downtown partying with the wives, we were at Rockport, and Crystal Beach with the families...All my friends were his friends, our dads were fishing buddies, my mom begged me to make them come to thanksgiving.

Almost nightly Rangers/Stros texts, what the kids are doing texts, we are so lucky to have awesome wives...texts, and endless youtube music texts. I still half expect one to roll in around 6:05 every night.

I can find no good in any of this, but itís warmed my heart to read stories from so many on here that are so similar. How often does a man have to make a new friend, how does a man meet so many people who are so positively impacted by having met him, how many parties can a guy be the life of....and how many people can a man invite fishing...only a life cut short could stop him.

That is just who Matt was. He never had to fake it.

Having to tell my son, who absolutely adored Matt, about this, was easily the hardest thing Iíve ever had to do. The sheer shock and pure sadness in his face as he broke down, only confirmed what we all know. All I could tell him was to appreciate the time we had, and pray for ďthe girlsĒ. Iím still at a loss for what to tell him further, but he sees it in my face all week, and he knows..

My heart breaks for ďmyĒ girls, Iím miserable for what Steph will have to endure, Iím furious for what we will all miss out on, and I am at an absolute loss for what to say to our brother Weeaks...who has lost a huge part of his world! But mostly...I just miss my brother.

I catch myself expecting a text, or thinking about the trips we had planned for the kids, and it breaks my heart every time I remember..

Iíll always miss you Matteo. I will try to love your family like you did. I will try to be the friend that you were. I will fail at both, but I will try. Iíll see you when the time comes...and I will look forward to it until then.

I love you brother, we will do our best.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Dale Moser; 04-23-2021 at 10:54 PM.
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-23-2021, 10:40 PM   #240
Artos
Pope & Young
 
Artos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Deep South TX
Hunt In: Deep South TX
Default

I'm sorry fellas...wish I had the words too. I knew Matt for only a weekend & see some of the same chaps chiming in that I only got to know on the same couple of days. I'm feeling it & barely knew him but what a lasting impression. The only thing I can say is time is your best friend & it's simply early on.

Music has always been able to time stamp a moment in my noggin...this song came up while surfing & recall it branding me when it came up on the radio while pulling into the funeral home to let go of my former compadre and deer lease buddy who lost his battle with cancer. I've found it oddly comforting overtime when it surfaces even though it tears me up. Saludos...

<><


Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-24-2021, 08:03 AM   #241
Roscoe
Pope & Young
 
Roscoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Penelope, TX
Hunt In: Coryell, Hill, Kimble, Navarro Counties
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
You dudes who are really struggling with this, know that you are not alone. Iíve been essentially worthless all week. My friend group that Matt endeared himself to so quickly, is a bunch of otherwise hardasses, and theyíre a **** show too. I call it a testament to the man our brother was.

The first time I met Matt was at an early Bownanza. We had bantered back and forth on here, and argued about some stuff (probably music, bows, or something goofy), because Matt liked to argue about as much as I do. I was at the nanza having stayed up all night, just choked down a daylight tequila shot at Legdogís insistence (as was custom when the pit was lit), and was nursing a D-Wayne Bloody Mary. I see a crew unload from a truck and come dragging a cooler in, looking collectively like death eatin a dry cracker. I recognized a couple guys but had no idea who was what. I noticed as they came across the parking lot that all were chugging gatorade and water...except one. That one had a baby blue in his hand, made eye contact with me, and immediately split off from the group toward me. He walked right up and said ďyouíre Moser, Iím Matt Patek, and we need to drink some beer!Ē And stuck out his paw. The handshake was not so much as over and another Lone Star Light appeared in his hand, which he opened and handed to me. It was all I could do to get the first drink down...40 minutes later we were 3 more beers in each, and I felt like I was talking to an old friend. It was surreal. We had a bunch more after that.

It wasnít until probably 6 years later until we wound up on a common group text because of Jason Smart, months later we were at my deer lease skinning Abrynís 1st doe, they moved to N. Texas, and it was over. We were at deer camp, we were downtown partying with the wives, we were at Rockport, and Crystal Beach with the families...All my friends were his friends, our dads were fishing buddies, my mom begged me to make them come to thanksgiving.

Almost nightly Rangers/Stros texts, what the kids are doing texts, we are so lucky to have awesome wives...texts, and endless youtube music texts. I still half expect one to roll in around 6:05 every night.

I can find no good in any of this, but itís warmed my heart to read stories from so many on here that are so similar. How often does a man have to make a new friend, how does a man meet so many people who are so positively impacted by having met him, how many parties can a guy be the life of....and how many people can a man invite fishing...only a life cut short could stop him.

That is just who Matt was. He never had to fake it.

Having to tell my son, who absolutely adored Matt, about this, was easily the hardest thing Iíve ever had to do. The sheer shock and pure sadness in his face as he broke down, only confirmed what we all know. All I could tell him was to appreciate the time we had, and pray for ďthe girlsĒ. Iím still at a loss for what to tell him further, but he sees it in my face all week, and he knows..

My heart breaks for ďmyĒ girls, Iím miserable for what Steph will have to endure, Iím furious for what we will all miss out on, and I am at an absolute loss for what to say to our brother Weeaks...who has lost a huge part of his world! But mostly...I just miss my brother.

I catch myself expecting a text, or thinking about the trips we had planned for the kids, and it breaks my heart every time I remember..

Iíll always miss you Matteo. I will try to love your family like you did. I will try to be the friend that you were. I will fail at both, but I will try. Iíll see you when the time comes...and I will look forward to it until then.

I love you brother, we will do our best.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Such a strong testimony to who Matt was to you and your family. Dale Iím very sorry yíall are having to go through this. God Bless!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Roscoe is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-24-2021, 10:19 AM   #242
axisbuck24
Pope & Young
 
axisbuck24's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Angleton , Texas
Default

Prayers for his family and friends.
axisbuck24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-24-2021, 11:22 AM   #243
ForEverlast
Eight Point
 
ForEverlast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Default

Matt was a good one he was always in for a good time and had that infectious smile and love for life...I was around Moulton a lot when he was in high school as my wifes family is from there and got to know that family very well his father was one of a kind as well just good folks and both will be missed deeply...I pray for his girls and his wife they have been on my heart and mind for the last few days since hearing the tragic news...Life is so fragile and we are reminded of it daily it seems like lately but eternity is waiting and I know Matt and his dad Ervin will keep a watch over us and be waiting by the camp fire when our time to join them comes...

Rest in Peace Matt
Billy G
ForEverlast is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-24-2021, 11:34 AM   #244
Landrover
Pope & Young
 
Landrover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Spring
Hunt In: Wherever & Whenever
Default

Whoa........just seeing this thread! Prayers for some sort of healing for the family and friends touched by this man's presence. This tribute to Matt will inspire his girls for decades to come. They will KNOW that their dad was a very special man and affected more people than can be counted.
Landrover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-24-2021, 03:57 PM   #245
ny bowhunter
Ten Point
 
ny bowhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ohio, USA
Hunt In: Ohio, Kentucky (New York pre 2009)
Default

Prayers up and heartfelt condolences to all those who now must carry on without Matt.
ny bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-24-2021, 04:05 PM   #246
Heath
Pope & Young
 
Heath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: Cool places with Cool people
Default

Leaded Reds in DKR. Cheers buddy




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Heath is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-24-2021, 04:30 PM   #247
SAC
Ten Point
 
SAC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Weimar,TX
Hunt In: Lavaca, Fayette & Colorado Co.
Default

Just saw this in my email alerts. Punch to the gut. Didnt know Matt near as well as some of you but knew him being close in age and somewhat local.
Borrowed a dog training book from him. Met him at a local watering hole after work. To pick up a book. 4 hrs later...we both were getting heckled from our better halves. I was still laughing on the way home.
Stand up dude that will sure enough be missed by many.
Prayers to all, especially his family.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SAC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-24-2021, 05:23 PM   #248
CRM_95
Pope & Young
 
CRM_95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: East TX
Hunt In: East TX
Default

Sad news. Prayers for his family and all his friends.
CRM_95 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-24-2021, 05:27 PM   #249
Hot4huntin
Pope & Young
 
Hot4huntin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Santa Fe, Texas
Default

Heartbreaking news! Prayers sent for his family and friends!!!
Hot4huntin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-24-2021, 06:24 PM   #250
Treeshark
Eight Point
 
Treeshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Van Zandt
Hunt In: Van Zandt
Default

I pray blessings of peace upon his beautiful family and all who loved this man!
Treeshark is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com