Barn Rat Warfare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barn Rat Warfare

I posted this in the DYI Forum, but figured it would reach more people here that may have a similar problem.

I have a great barn at the house. 30’x40’ enclosed with a 30’x15’ overhang on each side. My girls raised broilers and steers and it was always a handy place to store stuff. Have a couple of nice steer pens and a coop for about 20 chickens. The problem is that feed attracts rats....big ole wood rats that look like possums and you could probably saddle for a young child to ride.

The list of things that they’ve torn up is ridiculous and embarrassing to list. Not to mention there is rat crap everywhere and on everything. I don’t like rodents. I don’t like them at all. I ain’t scared of them but my feelings on rats are like some folks feelings on snakes, spiders or hatchet murderers... they give me the hibigibis!

I’ve fought many battles. I’ve used poison, but always scared my dog would get to it. I’ve used peanut butter bait and a pellet gun, but you just can’t kill enough. I’ve tried typical rat traps and caught two baby squirrels. I’ve been battling, but after loss after loss and making little headway I decided that I was gonna concentrate my efforts on complete annihilation.

I found an idea on the interweb and made a trip to my local ACE Hardware. Some of the things I already had.

Materials needed:
    1-30gal trash can
    2- water bottles
    1- 1/4”x 36” all-thread or similar
    2- random boards for ramps
    1- Jar Creamy Peanut Butter

First I drilled a 5/16” hole equidistant apart just below the handles of the trash can.

Next, I drilled a 5/16” hole in the center of the bottom and the center of the cap of each bottle.

I took the all-thread and pushed it through from one side of the trash can, through both bottles, staged cap to cap, and through the offside of the trash can.

I put a couple of random boards from the floor to the trash can handles on each side.

Filled the can with about 12” of water and coated the cap end of each bottle with peanut butter.

The idea is that the rats will come up the ramp boards going for the peanut butter and when they jump down about 3” onto the bottles, the bottles just spin, tossing them in the water where they paddle like hell until they get tired and die like the bastages that they are.

I’ll update on the death count.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How deep is the water? Id make sure its deep enough they cant touch the bottom or they'll chew a hole in the garbage can.

Good luck. Ready for LDP

Comment

Originally posted by DedDuk View Post
      How deep is the water? Id make sure its deep enough they cant touch the bottom or they'll chew a hole in the garbage can.

Good luck. Ready for LDP

12” or better.

Comment

Great idea will try it

Comment

I think if you put antifreeze or something like that in the water at the bottom it won't stink as badly if you aren't there all the time to empty the trophies. Acts like a preservative

Comment

Should work great. Probably get more customers if you place it nearer a wall, they like to travel along the edges better than out in the open.

Comment

That's gonna get the job done.
              I've seen several similar setups on the internet before and they all got good results.
              Good hunting!!

Comment

Can you substitute hydrochloric acid for the water?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Awesome. I love a good rat trap thread. Way to go Curt.

Comment

I’ve always wanted to make something like that. In for results.

Comment

Ohh heck yeah

Can't wait for the LDP's

Comment

That should do the job on catching several at a time. We need to try this at the school barn. There are some big as cats in there lol

Comment

In!

Comment

Very cool.

Interested in seeing the results.

J

Comment

Funny’s as hail!

Comment

Working...
                              X