Sling for AR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sling for AR

New to the AR game. Will just use the rifle for pigs and target shooting. What kind of sling is best for just "normal use" ?

Check out a VTAC (Viking) sling or a Blue Force (Vickers).

Comment

Originally posted by Neck View Post
      Check out a VTAC (Viking) sling or a Blue Force (Vickers).
      Will do, thanks.

Comment

Excellent question.
        Walking and stalking I personally prefer a 2 point sling. Keeps the rifle from bouncing do much even walking.
        I prefer the pushbutton quick detach swivels.
        I had a cheap blackhawk sling it was like 1" wide. Once you got the length set there was no way to quickly adjust it. After a couple hrs it would start cutting into your shoulder.

Next I bought a VTAC sling. I liked it a lot. The length could be adjusted in the fly so to speak. Has an adjuster on there similar to an ALICE pack. It's in the armpit are so the slack hung down and was easy to adjust. The slack kept getting tangled up. It has a padded area that goes over your shoulder.

Next I bought a TAB sling. Don't know which model it is.
        It's 1.5" wide. Has the similar quick adjuster on it. However it's at the forend of the rifle so it hangs low and catches on brush and stuff. Also making it hard to adjust on the fly.

Why the adjustability of the sling?
        Some times I like the sling to be attached to the rail close tonthe gas black other times at the receiver.

The downfall, for me. Is the 2 pint slinngs dangle and make noise when you're sitting in the blind and go to put the rifle on the monopod before shooting.
        With a single point just simply unclip the rifle when you get in the blind. However if you carry a stool and/or a sling pack and put the single point sling on than the sling pack than the chair. That way you don't have to take it in the blind. They hold the sling and it's hard to manuever the rifle.
        If you put the sling on last you'll have to fight with it to get the other gear off. Being quiet becomes a challenge.

Overall I prefer a 2 point sling.

Comment

Thanks for the information and evaluation PB.

Comment

Blue Force Gear: Vickers Sling. Very comfortable, adjustable and like the Quick Detach system.

Shop Vickers slings from Blue Force Gear, the rifle sling of choice: AR15, AR, AK, AK47, padded, 2 point, single point, bungee, and more weapon slings.

Comment

Good info, thanks fellas.

Comment

Tagged for later

Comment

VTAC and the Vickers slings are very good, I ran a VTAC sling for years on a duty rifle. Excellent product made a great guy.

SOB Tactical sling has the opposite design for the sling release, not really an issue for hunting but far better for moving in/out of vehicles and moving thru or around people. It does make it easy to maneuver into a blind or take a quick shot on a pig from a UTV or while stalking. https://sobtactical.com/

His sling retaining bands are the most durable I've found.

For noise dampening, just put some electrical tape on the swivels. It will not materially impact function and deadens the sound.

Comment

2PT is the way to go!

The ones listed above are great as are the Magpul slings, I personally prefer the Magpul out of all of those and have one I use with all my "tactical" guns, mostly because of the paraclips and ability to use as a 1pt if desired but they are all good options.

Comment

I use a Magpul sling on my hunting
                      AR as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by tps7742 View Post
                        Thanks for the information and evaluation PB.
                        [emoji1303]

Comment

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post
                          2PT is the way to go!

The ones listed above are great as are the Magpul slings, I personally prefer the Magpul out of all of those and have one I use with all my "tactical" guns, mostly because of the paraclips and ability to use as a 1pt if desired but they are all good options.
                          Which model?
                          MS4?

Comment

VTac on my patrol rifle loved it for ease of use during training and transition from rifle to pistol

Comment

Vickers 2 point with QD swivels. You can get them with or without padding in it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X