Hand Corn and Rain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hand Corn and Rain

Well I had finally got around to putting up a hog panel (cut length wise) pen around my hand corn spot. In the past I have been corning 50 lbs per time and with in a few days the hogs and deer would clean it up.

With the pen, I place 200 lbs out to see how it lasts as I will be out in two weeks for the opener.

My concern is that there was much rain this week and wondered what effect it would have on the corn. Is it spoiled? or na, don't worry about it?

What says the green screen?

[IMG][/IMG]

you can see the worn trail to hand corn location.

in East texas it stays flooded under our feeders most of the season. I have pictures of wood ducks swimming under them. They deer and pigs still eat the corn with no issues and corn seems to hold up fine

Comment

Don’t worry about it. You will have sprouts and the deer will eat it all down tot he ground.

Comment

Don't worry about it. I spread it out pretty thin so it takes them awhile to eat it. Not a bad idea to chunk out a few hundred pounds though with the security of the pen. Not many of my hand corn spots are secure from livestock.

Comment

Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post
          Don’t worry about it. You will have sprouts and the deer will eat it all down tot he ground.
          Deer won't touch mine like this

Comment

I don't believe that fence will stop many hogs so they will clean up everything the deer won't.

Comment

Originally posted by double lung View Post
              I don't believe that fence will stop many hogs so they will clean up everything the deer won't.
              I will be finding out shortly.

This is ETX by the way.

Comment

Can you grab a cheap 6 volt feeder may save you money and you can control feed times?

Comment

Originally posted by txhunter-1 View Post
                  Can you grab a cheap 6 volt feeder may save you money and you can control feed times?
                  I have a barrel feeder about 100 yards to the South in another clearing. Trails leading to both. Bucks never seen at feeder are on camera at this hand corn spot. Feed pen is to allow for longer lasting piles, if it is tall enough to keep hogs out.

Comment

Rain just washes it clean. Deer are happy with corn on the ground. The pen will help them feel less pressured and keep hogs away (if it is built right). You are going to be just fine.

Comment

I suspect your pen will be fine. In my experience hogs will go to much more trouble to break OUT than they will to break IN.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertDug View Post
                        I have a barrel feeder about 100 yards to the South in another clearing. Trails leading to both. Bucks never seen at feeder are on camera at this hand corn spot. Feed pen is to allow for longer lasting piles, if it is tall enough to keep hogs out.
                        That fence will keep pigs out. Not a hungry hog
                        My coons would be three deep in a pile like that.

I do much the same except I spread it for about 100 yards on a sendero.
                        Spreads the dominant deer out and allows everybody a chance to stay and eat.

BP

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
                          That fence will keep pigs out. Not a hungry hog
                          My coons would be three deep in a pile like that.

I do much the same except I spread it for about 100 yards on a sendero.
                          Spreads the dominant deer out and allows everybody a chance to stay and eat.

BP
                          I wondered which would be better, pile of spread out.

Comment

How tall is your fence, it looks 18” tall ?

If so, pigs are still gonna get in since they can easily jump that

Comment

I have 24 inch tall feed pens that work fantastic. Very rarely I get a pig inside but not often I also use 3 panels

Comment

Working...
                              X