Marlin model 60 owners?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marlin model 60 owners?

I traded for a used Marlin model 60 and its plenty accurate and runs great. The problem I ran into is I dry fired the gun it locks the bolt. I can't pull it back at all it's locked shut. I took it apart and cocked the hammer and put it back together and it works fine. I dry fired it to see what it'd do and I'm back to square one. What do you think I need to do? Any help would be much appreciated.

Stop dry firing it? I have had a model 60 for 20 plus years. But I've never dry fired it.. best 22 I own ..

Comment

I have never had that problem with my model 60. Is the hammer and slide clean.

Comment

Marlin

I had one that the bolt would lock on. I ended up replacing the recoil spring and the rod it rides on. I am pretty sure those were the two parts. Pretty easy job and parts were cheap. Traded that off a long time ago.

Comment

That’s weird....detail strip it and clean it. It shouldn’t do that

Comment

The first time I didn't mean to I pulled the trigger on a bad shell it jammed and I kicked it out which locked the bolt back so I released it. It didn't pick up a shell so it dry fired. Cleaned and oiled it really good before I put it back together.

Comment

I have two of them and neither one has ever done that.

Comment

Originally posted by dmk View Post
                I had one that the bolt would lock on. I ended up replacing the recoil spring and the rod it rides on. I am pretty sure those were the two parts. Pretty easy job and parts were cheap. Traded that off a long time ago.
                That may be what it needs. It cycles fine and everything that's the only problem I've had with it so far. Nice gun but if it jams and doesn't pick up another bullet that's when it'd do it. A skunk got away on me the first time it did it.

Comment

I was shooting pretty trashy ammo at first and it stove piped on me once which I forgot to mention. That bolt smashed that casing. I switched bullets and it didn't do it again so I blamed the ammo. But that bolt seems like it's slamming back pretty hard to be able to crush a casing the way it did. I don't know if that's an indication to a problem but it's worth mentioning

Comment

When you take apart the model 60 there is a spring arm that rides along side the block. Trying to remember, maybe you could youtube it, anyways, that spring arm looks like it has fallen down on the side of the mechanism so people straighten it out, but it is designed that way and it will not function correctly. I know, I did it myself a few times and learned the hard way.

Comment

Originally posted by RattlesnakeDan View Post
                      When you take apart the model 60 there is a spring arm that rides along side the block. Trying to remember, maybe you could youtube it, anyways, that spring arm looks like it has fallen down on the side of the mechanism so people straighten it out, but it is designed that way and it will not function correctly. I know, I did it myself a few times and learned the hard way.
                      I still have to take it apart and reassemble it again so I'll see if I can see which part it is and check it. I appreciate the help.

Comment

I have one and it is very reliable.

Comment

Well I think I found out what the problem is. But I have to solve a different problem before I try to solve that problem. I can't find my allen wrenches. So............I guess when I find those I'll work on it. Might be tomorrow,next week,next month,next year.....Might put that gun in the corner broken and get back to it a few years from now. Nobody really knows.

I lose interest in things that are jacked up rather quickly. That's just how I am. If I'm not good at something I don't do it and if something's broken I either tear it up worse or buy something that does work. I don't fart around with stuff.
                          Last edited by okrattler; 12-18-2020, 09:35 PM.

Comment

I have 2 Model 60s but have never experienced what you are describing. That being said, I was taught many moons ago to never dry fire a rimfire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                            X