Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever build a barn or shed with curved roof?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone ever build a barn or shed with curved roof?

I am looking into building a shed with a curved roof similar to the one in the attached picture. I have always built gable roofed structures, but have some material that will allow me to try this out. From the research I have done, I think I will have to use a corrugated tin. Possibly one long sheet with no laps? I doubt R-panel will bow enough to work.

Just curious if anyone has built one like this, and what kind of material you used. Also if you have any thoughts, or suggestions to make it work.
    Attached Files

You can use r panel, run it opposite direction of curve.

Comment

Originally posted by cbd10pt View Post
      You can use r panel, run it opposite direction of curve.
      I thought about that but I would have to screw it to the curved truss. My truss will be pipe, so that is more work that I want to do.

Comment

they use r-panel on carports that have sharper bends than that. as long as the ribs are 90 deg to the curve, it would be fine

Comment

Look up Texas Barndominiums, they use that style all the time on homes and shops.

Comment

You can use 4" PVC and set into a concrete block footing and bend a full arch from one side to another AKA quonset hut. Simple lapping of old tin will seal it well. Its amazing how strong it is. This is very old school and not as clean or modern as your model.

Comment

You can make the trusses out of drill stem pipe. Easy if you have a flatbed float trailer, because you can use the side-rail stake pockets to help bend the pipe.

Comment

I think you'd need a roller to keep the sheets from spreading in the middle.
                [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adO4cNI9HtM"]Curved Arch Roof Sheet Roll Forming Machine - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

I’ve seen them use u panel with that much curve with the ribs running the correct wa, it’ll Ben some. I knew a couple farmer boys that build a many buildings using one sheet to go all the way across the roof. They put a small rise in in the pipe trusses and roll with it.

Comment

found this. pretty good info geared towards what i want to do.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/Sms1YmtevBU?rel=0

Comment

Originally posted by Palmetto View Post
                      found this. pretty good info geared towards what i want to do.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/Sms1YmtevBU?rel=0
                      Hmm... looks like it has enough bend in it after all. Probably can't do that with R-panel though.

Comment

metal roofing guys have a machine that they roll standing seam on site to your radius.

hard to do off site cause it doesnt stack well with standing seams

Comment

Originally posted by E.TX.BOWHUNTER View Post
                          You can use 4" PVC and set into a concrete block footing and bend a full arch from one side to another AKA quonset hut. Simple lapping of old tin will seal it well. Its amazing how strong it is. This is very old school and not as clean or modern as your model.

Without heating? I would like to see that!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I just saw some curved steel metal trusses for sale on facebook market place last week. I don't remember where they were located. They were maybe 15' wide, they would probably work well for a shed or carport.

Comment

My shop is 30 X 40 and my roof trusses are rolled like the shop in the video. Trusses are 30ft long with 12-14" rise in the center with R-panel on the roof. I had no problem putting the roof sheets on.

Comment

Working...
                              X