No announcement yet.

2020/2021 east texas hunting thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gonna try and get out to Houston county this weekend. Really going for more of an observation hunt and to see what’s going on. Hopefully I can get a doe while staying off of my thicket areas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Spike vs 10

I once was told that spikes killed BFB, I about died, but after looking at this pic, i can see how they can poke an eye out!! LOL
      Attached Files

Comment

My view....

This is my view from the field of dreams!
        Lets hope a big one shows up, so we can let one fly.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Qban View Post
          Awesome set up. Is that southeast Texas?

Comment

By Apple Springs.

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods View Post
              I was totally skunked this weekend in Houston County. I didnt see a single deer or pig. 10 hours in a tree Saturday and 5 yesterday morning and absolutely nothing. Timber guys have been doing some thinning on our family land and it seems to have everything pretty spooked. They weren't supposed to do any cutting during "deer season" but they weren't considering bow season. I hate that he is having anything cut. He isn't getting anything for it anyways and it looks like a bomb went off in areas that used to be beautiful. I told my wife that if I would have known, I would have paid him not to cut.
              This was my experience in Houston County this week as well. I sat in a ground blind Thursday and Friday am/pm going for hogs. Had a decent sized doe walk past about 3 yards Thursday am, didnt even sniff the corn and a hog skirt the edge of brush by feeder and never came in.

Saturday & Sunday sat in the tree stand am/pm and saw zip. Hand corn not even touched.

Heard more gun shots this Saturday than the last three Saturdays combined.

Sucks about the clearing. I went through that on the property I hunt last year. Was definitely frustrating. But I think it helped long term. I see better deer now, just not this weekend. lol

J

Comment

Originally posted by JhuntsAlot View Post
                This was my experience in Houston County this week as well. I sat in a ground blind Thursday and Friday am/pm going for hogs. Had a decent sized doe walk past about 3 yards Thursday am, didnt even sniff the corn and a hog skirt the edge of brush by feeder and never came in.

Saturday & Sunday sat in the tree stand am/pm and saw zip. Hand corn not even touched.

Heard more gun shots this Saturday than the last three Saturdays combined.

Sucks about the clearing. I went through that on the property I hunt last year. Was definitely frustrating. But I think it helped long term. I see better deer now, just not this weekend. lol

J
                Well at least I'm not alone. I heard a ton of gun shots too. I guess I either have a lot of MLD hunters near us or people shooting pigs. I figured the moon was gonna hurt a bit but my hand corn and sweet feed piles were never touched from Friday night to Sunday. That NEVER happens up there. If it isn't hit during the day, it is almost always wiped out at night. They usually come to sweet feed like a Baptist on a buffet. I know that in the long term the cutting won't hurt anything but it sure sucks right now when it's bow season. The bucks are typically more comfortable and easier to pattern but I'm sure the chaos and noise has everything a little on edge.

Comment

One of my target bucks has found the hand corn pile. Saturday had hogs come to hand corn and could not get in. Flung one of my two arrows I had and ran off with it never to be seen again. With one arrow left I sat at the feeder at night in the brush blind. Had big loan boar come in and he was very careful. I decided since I only had one arrow and will be picking up a new 1/2 dozen why not give a shot at this big guy. While I grab my bow and he skittered around, I knocked the last arrow and went to draw, dang if I did not grab my release when I walked out. Opening day rustiness I guess.

It was last light and I waited a good 1/2 hour after the boar had spooked when I exasperated after finding out I did not have my release. Sure enough when I walked up to the feeder to adjust feeder time, that boar was on the edge of the brush waiting. He ran off as I approached.

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Originally posted by Qban View Post

That is a sweet looking set up right there.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

My dad and I had a good hunt in Houston County but none of the shooters came in till after dark. The wind got a little squirrely and my dad and I both got busted by some young bucks. I saw a total of 10 deer and about the same for my dad. I will be after it at my bow lease close to the house most of this week, hopefully let the air out of some does. My lease partner Coogfan let the air out of one yesterday evening. My son was hunting our bow lease as well with Coogfan and was covered up in does and young bucks but he's waiting out on a pig of a buck. He was a no show over the weekend and we need to thin some does so my son will be in doe mode this evening.lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Looks like there were some tough hunts this past weekend due to the moon. I am heading out to the lease Thursday after work to hunt Friday-Sunday.

Lots of sweat and blood went in to this year. Hopefully it will pay off.
                        Attached Files

Comment

ETX-
                          You have got some nice targets. Good luck with your hunt.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	B74586FF-3430-4F8D-90CB-B5FB1C5C22C1.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	24632972They seem to always know when you decide to sleep in... Lol cat and mouse begins

Comment

Originally posted by Pstraw View Post
                              ETX-
                              You have got some nice targets. Good luck with your hunt.
                              Pstraw - Thank you! Id really like the big 8. He has some trash on his bases. I'd rally like to give That 10 another year but my neighbors will probably shoot him. I am between Palestine and Frankston in Anderson Co.

Comment

Originally posted by bollomb View Post
                                [ATTACH]1022038[/ATTACH]They seem to always know when you decide to sleep in... Lol cat and mouse begins
                                Got a nice one there.

Darn the luck. lol

J

Comment

Working...
                                X