No announcement yet.

2020 Saltwater Thread Part II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any reports on how the surf at Sargent and Matagorda faired after the storm? Driveable yet?

Comment

Originally posted by bearintex View Post
      Any reports on how the surf at Sargent and Matagorda faired after the storm? Driveable yet?
      Sargent has had most of the sand stripped off the top. Exposed clay everywhere. I didn’t venture very far down.

Buddy caught his personal best bull red. 43” and 30 pounds. Of course it hit the smallest rod we had set up. It was touch and go whether he would get spooled for a while, had to chase his about a hundred yards down the beach.

Ended with two good limits. All caught on finger mullet either in the first cut or on the second bar.

Comment

Sargent has had most of the sand stripped off the top. Exposed clay everywhere. I didn’t venture very far down.

Buddy caught his personal best bull red. 43” and 30 pounds. Of course it hit the smallest rod we had set up. It was touch and go whether he would get spooled for a while, had to chase his about a hundred yards down the beach.

Ended with two good limits. All caught on finger mullet either in the first cut or on the second bar.

You are hell on them redfish on the beach. I fish the surf a bunch and rarely catch any. I’m throwing lures for the most part but figured I’d get some. Lol. Sargent is looking real bad these days.

Comment

Congrats Barrett!!

Comment

Originally posted by BigJimmyRustler View Post
            My MIL rented out a house the first week in October off the canal by Marker 37 in and invited us down to stay. I'm trying to book guide for the wife and I.

I'm looking for an inshore skinny water trip fishing from the boat (the misses isn't going to wade) with a flexible guide that would allow her to throw bait (probably) and be open to letting me throw artificial.
            We've had a couple rough offshore trips go not so great for her in the past so I really want this one to shine for her.
            I don't care about catching limits and just want make sure she enjoys it because just being there will suffice for me.
            You guys got any recommendations?

I would give Will Janece, WJ outfitters a try as well. Just tell him you want to fish out of the boat. He's a very laid back guy and will help "coach" someone up in order to catch more fish. He fishes out of Marker 37 a lot

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
              You are hell on them redfish on the beach. I fish the surf a bunch and rarely catch any. I’m throwing lures for the most part but figured I’d get some. Lol. Sargent is looking real bad these days.
              Yeah it is real bad. Storms didn’t help any. Cedar Lake cut is silted in now, or it was before the storm. We didn’t try to venture down that far today.

Hitting matagorda beach tomorrow!

Comment

What website or app do you like to use for checking tides? I've been using tides4fishing.com which I came across through a Google search. Was curious if there's a better one out there though.

Comment

Use NOAA if you want the legit tides and times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Did even better today. Fifteen slot reds, 16 trout, and 9 bulls up to 37”. I am whooped.

37”, 22 pounds for this bull, another buddy’s (Neck here on TBH) personal best.

Does this count as a Texas slam?

Caught it in the castnet. Released unharmed. Also caught a 3” speckled trout, also released.

Comment

Did even better today. Fifteen slot reds, 16 trout, and 9 bulls up to 37”. I am whooped.

Caught it in the castnet. Released unharmed. Also caught a 3” speckled trout, also released.
                      Good Stuff and great pic!
                      Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=GARY

Comment

Nice! Slammed 'em good!!

Comment

Way to go again Barrett!

Comment

Oh, and for the record, a 6 ounce pyramid weight hurts when it bounces off of your head. I was reeling in one of the rods to check bait rather quickly this morning and lost track of where it was, and the next thing I know this sinker smacks me. Luckily I was wearing a hat and it was a glancing blow. It was enough to break the skin and raise a little welp even through the hat. It didn’t help any when I forgot about in the shower earlier when shaving my scalp.

Comment

2020 Saltwater Thread Part II

Caught it in the castnet. Released unharmed. Also caught a 3” speckled trout, also released.[/QUOTE]

Looks like a hogchoker rather than a flounder. Also, They are a sole, not a flounder. Cool catch. Still a slam.

(One more tidbit. A southern flounder would likely be larger by this time of year)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Last edited by basschump; 09-04-2020, 10:09 PM.

Comment

Ok I have solidified myself as the worst fisherman on TBH, I won't go in to it but we've been in Galveston for 3 days and will be heading out tomorrow morning, we are going to head south to the Lake Jacobson area and my wife wants some good ceviche.... any help on a good seafood place we can hit for lunch?

Comment

Working...
                                X