Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 02-07-2019, 08:47 AM   #1
ultrastealth
Ten Point

Hunt In: Camp Wood, TX
Default This is the idiocy we have to deal with on the TP&W commision

This a response letter from Ralph Huggins about the new alligator gar proposals that would eliminate bowfishing at night:

"Dear Mr. Williams:
I am responding to your January 25th email inquiry about proposed rules—soon to be published for public comment, that if passed, would provide needed reporting on the taking of the state’s largest freshwater fish, and would protect the largest of this valuable natural resource from overharvest and waste.
My interest in this fish goes back to around 2009 when then Inland Fisheries Director, Phil Durocher, made a presentation to the Commission in support of his recommendation that the harvest of these fish be limited to one per person per day to give the staff time to do more work and study of protections needed for this fish. As you likely know, because it is long-lived, only spawns intermittently, spawns in very shallow water, and frequently surfaces for air, it is vulnerable to exploitation. In just the last 60 or so years their historic range has contracted significantly. Now, Texas has the best remaining alligator gar populations that contain numerous very large females. Some of those fish are over 40 years old. Our Inland Fisheries team has made estimates of the numbers of alligator gar. Importantly, the data you reference is from a snapshot estimate made in 2011—nearly eight years ago.
Data and populations estimates are certainly relevant but not the only factors to be considered. The Commission seeks to promote stewardship on both public and private lands and waters including the promotion of a conservation ethic, fair chase sportsmanship, and preventing waste of natural resources.
Moreover, since that last estimate was prepared, interest in large gar has grown. And the rapid evolution of technology and equipment available to kill large alligator gar has made it much easier to take these fish when on the surface, in shallow water, or at night. So, the Commission has been interested in proposed rules that would reduce the number of big gar killed and in getting more reporting of gar taken.
Nothing in the proposed rules affects an angler from trying to catch and release a large gar on a rod and reel anywhere at any time. But obviously, if each adult Texan killed a large gar, or even if a few hundred individuals each took one large gar a day for 30 days, the large gar would soon disappear, something we do not want to see.
Further, are you aware that the Texas Department of State Health Services has a “DO NOT EAT” advisory for alligator gar taken from most of the Trinity? It is difficult to imagine that anyone would disregard this important caution and consume alligator gar caught from that river.
Loss of habitat for spawning and alteration of flow in rivers has also contributed to their decline. These factors have negatively impacted alligator gar populations, which only increases the need to reduce and monitor harvest.
My personal interest here is to preserve for future generations of Texas families the experience of seeing and having the chance to catch one of these gentle giants. We also believe that the large alligator gar in Texas attract interest from many non-resident anglers who can only catch a huge alligator gar by coming to Texas waters.
I believe the Commission is committed to acting with deliberation but caution to avoid allowing this magnificent species ending up where we see paddlefish or sturgeon, two other large freshwater fish that are in trouble due in part to exploitation.
Staff is expected to include in the alligator gar proposals that will be published for public comment and possible Commission action at its March meeting a limited draw for tags that permit a party to take an alligator gar in the Trinity in excess of four feet in length.
Thank you for your interest in protecting the large alligator gar."

So, if every man, woman, and child in Texas harvested an alligator gar in Texas, they would be endangered. How stupid can you be? He knows ****ed well that will never happen and that the same could be said about a whole lot of other species that these draconian proposals are not being aimed at. Secondly, paddle fish and sturgeon have not been exploited in Texas. Their populations have suffered from man made dams preventing spawning in their native rivers. If you have to lie to support you position, your position is a weak one.

Last edited by ultrastealth; 02-07-2019 at 09:10 AM.
ultrastealth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2019, 09:25 AM   #2
ultrastealth
Ten Point

If you ever think you might want to bowfish for alligator gar in Texas, I urge you to contact dave.terre@tpwd.texas.gov and oppose these new regs. They are rapidly moving toward stopping all bowfishing for alligator gar. I realize that these regs don't completely shut it down, but it does severely curtail it, and this comes on the heals of other recent restrictions. They don't like bowfishing, period, and they will continue to move down this path unless they are stopped soon.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:41 AM   #3
TWarren
Four Point

Hunt In: Panhandle and New Mexico

Would you be okay with bowfishing restrictions on those portions of the Trinity with consumption advisories?
TWarren is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2019, 09:44 AM   #4
ultrastealth
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWarren View Post
Would you be okay with bowfishing restrictions on those portions of the Trinity with consumption advisories?
No, that's an individual's call, not the state's. If you want to use that as a justification, all of Galveston Bay would be off limits to trout fishing...all of it.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:59 AM   #5
elliscountyhog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: WG Outdoors on Facebook

I can vouche for the river north of HWY34 to Dallas. No shortage of gar. This whole ordeal has turned into a rod and reel vs bow fisherman and its a shame because most rod and reel fisherman cut there teether bowfishing. I agreed with the 1 gar/day but this has gotten way to ridiculous.
elliscountyhog is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2019, 12:12 PM   #6
manwitaplan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrastealth View Post
No, that's an individual's call, not the state's. If you want to use that as a justification, all of Galveston Bay would be off limits to trout fishing...all of it.

Well stated. There are advisories at the fred hartman, ship channel, and anywhere they dredge! Every weekend people fishing there and keeping fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
manwitaplan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2019, 12:20 PM   #7
ultrastealth
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwitaplan View Post
Well stated. There are advisories at the fred hartman, ship channel, and anywhere they dredge! Every weekend people fishing there and keeping fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's actually worse than that. The ship channel area is a no eat zone. The rest of Trinity, East Bay, Main Bay, and West Bay are no more than 8 oz. of trout or catfish per month consumption.
Old 02-07-2019, 01:45 PM   #8
mudkat
Eight Point

Hunt In: rusk county

Well I looked up releasing deeply hooked fish (which all rod and reel alligator gar are)
are anywhere from 10-75% mortality rate.
so the rod and reel guys are killing fish too, you just don't see them on the bottom of the river.
And to tell the truth I don't have a problem with a 1 per year tag. But they are putting a max 4' size limit so you can never get a trophy fish ever again.
And outlawing nighttime bowfishing for them ,That proves they have no knowledge of bowfishing gator gar. if you want to shot one you go during the day
mudkat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2019, 01:52 PM   #9
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lamar and Dickens

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudkat View Post
Well I looked up releasing deeply hooked fish (which all rod and reel alligator gar are)
That is a really large range. In fact that only leaves out 35% of the probability. almost like saying 0-100% mortality
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2019, 02:54 PM   #10
35remington
Pope & Young

Hunt In: the dark

We need more science.
35remington is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2019, 03:08 PM   #11
HUNTNETIME
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bee County

I'd be willing to bet that if less large gar were caught/shot and left on the bank to rot, this wouldn't even be a conversation. And don't tell me it doesn't happen. I've seen it with my own two eyes. I think gar are the javelina of the water world in many people's eyes.

Last edited by HUNTNETIME; 02-07-2019 at 03:27 PM.
HUNTNETIME is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2019, 03:18 PM   #12
ultrastealth
Ten Point

Quote:
so the rod and reel guys are killing fish too, you just don't see them on the bottom of the river.
And to tell the truth I don't have a problem with a 1 per year tag. But they are putting a max 4' size limit so you can never get a trophy fish ever again.
And outlawing nighttime bowfishing for them ,That proves they have no knowledge of bowfishing gator gar. if you want to shot one you go during the day
You get shots during the day, but they are quick rolling shots. At night they will hover just under the surface and provide a much better target. Yes, I've done it quite a bit, I do know what I'm talking about.
Old 02-07-2019, 03:22 PM   #13
mudkat
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUNTNETIME View Post
I'd be willing to bet that if less large gar weren't caught/shot and left on the bank to rot, this wouldn't even be a conversation. And don't tell me it doesn't happen. I've seen it with my own two eyes. I think gar are the javelina of the water world in many people's eyes.
hey Gar have been considered trash fish long before bowfishermen went after them ,I heard lots of people say they would shoot them in the head with a pistol when they were on trotlines or break their snout off and let them go to die, news flash most fisherman hate them.
Old 02-07-2019, 03:25 PM   #14
mudkat
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
That is a really large range. In fact that only leaves out 35% of the probability. almost like saying 0-100% mortality
that was the range of different kinds of fish and different studies
that's just the range of mortality rates I saw.
Old 02-07-2019, 03:30 PM   #15
mudkat
Eight Point

Quote:
You get shots during the day, but they are quick rolling shots. At night they will hover just under the surface and provide a much better target. Yes, I've done it quite a bit, I do know what I'm talking about.
Well guess what I've done a Whole lot of bowfishing to and they are rarely seen at night. we put on the trinity river shootout for years which was a night time tournament and out of all the years we put it on I'd say the number of gator gar brought in was maybe 5 maybe ! now the Gar bonanza was a daytime shoot and they did bring in quite a few big gar.
Old 02-07-2019, 03:47 PM   #16
txwhitetail
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion Co

The very big alligator gar have been decimated in parts of the Trinity. What is wrong with protecting the big fish?

They are definitely easier to get shots at during the night. I figure the night part was to reduce harvest of big fish?

I dont know all the numbers but I have spent a lot of time in my bowfishing boat in a lot of that east/north texas area when I lived over there. Many friends still do and its a shell of what it use to be for large fish.
txwhitetail is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2019, 04:01 PM   #17
Fishndude
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mason, Ellis and Dimmit counties

Quote:
Well guess what I've done a Whole lot of bowfishing to and they are rarely seen at night. we put on the trinity river shootout for years which was a night time tournament and out of all the years we put it on I'd say the number of gator gar brought in was maybe 5 maybe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by txwhitetail View Post

They are definitely easier to get shots at during the night. I figure the night part was to reduce harvest of big fish?
I’m sooooo confused!!!
Fishndude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2019, 04:22 PM   #18
diamond10x
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kinney and Bexar counties

I think there could be much easier ways that would be more logical and beneficial in sustaining the fishery of large gar than trying to eliminate night fishing... just my .02
diamond10x is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2019, 04:50 PM   #19
TXMark
Eight Point

Hunt In: Fannin County

What about needlenose gar? Don't they have rights too. I think TPWD are discriminating against them because of their long nose. Too many rules!!!!!!
TXMark is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-08-2019, 03:10 AM   #20
rebelbow
Ten Point

Hunt In: tx,ks,ok

I bow fish the Trinity from upper Lake Livingston to just outside of Dallas. I assure you the large gator gar population has not been "decimated". If any skeptics would like to take a boat ride you will be shocked as to how many gator gar are in the Trinity. Furthermore, fishing at night on the Trinity is virtually impossible because of visibility.
Trophy gator gar bow fishing is mainly a daytime sport on rolling fish. The success rate on rolling fish is around 4 percent or less. It is a very difficult to do for the average joe.

i'm fine with the current 1 fish per person per day rule. On a normal day, a boat with 4 guys in it will be lucky to shoot 1 trophy gar in one day .
rebelbow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-08-2019, 08:27 AM   #21
mudkat
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelbow View Post
I bow fish the Trinity from upper Lake Livingston to just outside of Dallas. I assure you the large gator gar population has not been "decimated". If any skeptics would like to take a boat ride you will be shocked as to how many gator gar are in the Trinity. Furthermore, fishing at night on the Trinity is virtually impossible because of visibility.
Trophy gator gar bow fishing is mainly a daytime sport on rolling fish. The success rate on rolling fish is around 4 percent or less. It is a very difficult to do for the average joe.

i'm fine with the current 1 fish per person per day rule. On a normal day, a boat with 4 guys in it will be lucky to shoot 1 trophy gar in one day .
RebelBow at least you sound like you know something about really bowfishing gator gar in the decimated trinity river Lol !
I really think most people see a gar and its automatically a gator gar.90% of gar shot are shortnose and spots, with 9.999% longnose and .001% gator gar
Old 02-08-2019, 08:41 AM   #22
tward1604
Eight Point

Hunt In: wherever I can

We also believe that the large alligator gar in Texas attract interest from many non-resident anglers who can only catch a huge alligator gar by coming to Texas waters.

Here is your motivator. Out of state means money coming out of the pockets.
tward1604 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-08-2019, 08:57 AM   #23
mudkat
Eight Point

It mainly started with the river monster TV show and the like , I'm here in this remote spot fishing for this huge prehistoric man eating monster.
Kinda like what duck dynasty did for duck hunting Lol !
Old 02-08-2019, 11:35 AM   #24
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Quote:
RebelBow at least you sound like you know something about really bowfishing gator gar in the decimated trinity river Lol !
I really think most people see a gar and its automatically a gator gar.90% of gar shot are shortnose and spots, with 9.999% longnose and .001% gator gar
When this garbage first started, TPWD put together a slide show of how the alligator gar had been exploited by commercial fishing. One of the pics in that was a truck load of 30-50lbers. It was my pic they had gotten off the internet of a truck load Sam and I shot with bows. EVERY ONE was a needle nose. Not one gator gar in the truck.
GarGuy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-08-2019, 11:42 AM   #25
jdavidson
Four Point

Hunt In: Webb Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarGuy View Post
When this garbage first started, TPWD put together a slide show of how the alligator gar had been exploited by commercial fishing. One of the pics in that was a truck load of 30-50lbers. It was my pic they had gotten off the internet of a truck load Sam and I shot with bows. EVERY ONE was a needle nose. Not one gator gar in the truck.
And then they use “exploit “to make their point...sounds like they’re the ones exploiting the situation
jdavidson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-08-2019, 12:03 PM   #26
mudkat
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarGuy View Post
Yeah ,Steve, if TP&W wants to talk about exploiting the gar for commercial purpose's ,They should talk about Choke canyon in the middle 90's when they sponsored the widespread harvest of gator gar to eliminate them from the lake because the catfishermen where upset they were eating all the catfish. you should have seen the huge barges of jug lines they were putting in the lake. They claimed to have taken 1 million pounds of cleaned gar meat out of the lake in 3 years. How soon the government forgets about their actions Huh ?

Last edited by mudkat; 02-08-2019 at 12:05 PM.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:53 PM   #27
steven
Eight Point

If they really cared about preserving the population, they wouldn't have changed the rules on Falcon. Falcon is slap full of gator gar, but the uproar from bass fishermen caused them to allow a 5 per person per day limit, the only place in Texas that isn't one a day. I don't understand how they can shut down the Trinity to protect "the greatest gar fishery in the state" when Falcon is arguably just as good or better, and they expanded the harvest there.
steven is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-10-2019, 09:57 PM   #28
Spoiled_TN_boy
Eight Point

Hunt In: Public Land

Shooting fish at night with enough lumens to light a city isn't ethical.
I look at it the same way as spotlighting animals.
Spoiled_TN_boy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-10-2019, 09:59 PM   #29
steven
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post
Shooting a deer with a high powered rifle while its trying to eat or look for love isn't ethical, neither is tricking a fish to take a bite out of something that it thinks is food and hauling it in by the lip.
steven is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-10-2019, 10:21 PM   #30
bakin7005
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma / San Saba Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven View Post
Shooting a deer with a high powered rifle while its trying to eat or look for love isn't ethical, neither is tricking a fish to take a bite out of something that it thinks is food and hauling it in by the lip.
dtm

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
bakin7005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-10-2019, 10:44 PM   #31
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones and San Saba Counties and Missouri

They're fish. Not whitetail deer.

Gary
DRT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2019, 01:39 AM   #32
manwitaplan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Thats funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
manwitaplan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2019, 08:31 AM   #33
mudkat
Eight Point

Quote:
So what about shooting coyotes and hogs with lights or even better thermal ? the poor things don't know anyone is even there and ready to shoot them, OMG, so bad
Old 02-11-2019, 08:34 AM   #34
mudkat
Eight Point

The Commission is supposed to be adding a draw system for Tags to allow a limited take of the big gar. At least they are putting in a way to take a few trophy gar !
Old 02-12-2019, 06:15 PM   #35
Hot4huntin
Pope & Young

TPWD Announces Proposed Alligator Gar Regulation Changes
AUSTIN – The Texas Parks and Wildlife Department is proposing changes to fishing regulations for alligator gar, the largest and longest-lived freshwater fish in the state, to be voted on at the Texas Parks and Wildlife Commission meeting March 20 in Austin. The proposed changes are intended to help the Department conserve and prevent the overharvest of older, mature alligator gar; fill data gaps through mandatory harvest reporting; and allow for limited opportunity to harvest large alligator gar from the Trinity River by creating a drawing system.

The first of four components of the proposed regulation changes include instituting a 4-foot maximum length limit on the Trinity River, Texas’ top destination for anglers pursuing large alligator gar. This limit means anglers could not harvest any alligator gar over that length from the Trinity River from the I-30 bridge in Dallas downstream to the I-10 bridge in Chambers County including the East Fork of the Trinity River upstream to the dam at Lake Ray Hubbard.

“The TPW Commission has communicated to us that they would rather, out of an abundance of caution, act proactively to further limit harvest of older, mature alligator gar while populations are in relatively good shape,” said Craig Bonds, TPWD Inland Fisheries Director. “The 4-foot maximum would conserve these larger fish and redirect harvest towards younger, more abundant smaller fish. It also ensures there are plenty of large, recreationally-valuable fish remaining for anglers to catch and release, which attracts anglers from around the world.”

The second component of the proposed regulation changes would create a drawing to allow selected anglers to harvest one alligator gar over 48 inches in length per year from the Trinity River. The limited entry system would allow non-transferable harvest authorization for a set number of alligator gar. Authorizations would be selected and distributed through a limited random draw of interested applicants.

“The drawing is similar to what other states like Arkansas are doing to offer an opportunity to keep one large gar while allowing the Department to manage annual harvest to avoid a population decline and depletion of the large alligator gar,” Bonds said. “Alligator gar could be harvested by lawful means, including pole-and-line or by bow fishing equipment.”

The final two proposed rules would be in effect statewide. First, a proposed regulation change would prohibit nighttime bow fishing statewide for alligator gar 30 minutes after sunset to 30 minutes before sunrise, which includes both take and possession using lawful archery equipment including crossbows during those nighttime hours.

“The TPW commission has concerns about the rapid evolution of technology and equipment used to target large alligator gar,” Bonds said. “Prohibiting nighttime bow fishing for alligator gar is an additional proactive measure that would be taken to protect populations from overharvest.”

The last component of the proposed regulation changes would require all anglers harvesting alligator gar statewide to report their harvest within 24 hours online or through a mobile app, similar to what is currently required for eastern turkey. This system would give the Department more data on alligator gar numbers to try to ensure quality fishing for future generations of anglers.

Statewide, a one-fish-per-day bag limit would remain in effect, and at Falcon International Reservoir, the daily bag limit of five fish and possession limit of 10 fish would also remain in effect. Falcon would also be exempt from the harvest reporting requirement.

“We are proposing to exempt Falcon from mandatory harvest reporting as this lake appears to have a robust population of alligator gar so that information is not needed at this time to manage that particular fishery,” Bonds said.

All of the proposed rules will be available for review in the Texas Register on Feb. 15.

The public is encouraged to provide comment on each of the four individual components of the proposed regulation changes. Opportunities to provide comments for or against these proposals include:

Facebook Live Webinar: TPWD Inland Fisheries and Coastal Fisheries staff will present all proposed fishing regulation changes and answer questions in a Facebook Live webinar at noon Feb. 27 on the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department Facebook page.
Public hearings: TPWD staff will be hosting several public hearings around the state to receive input from stakeholders and constituents concerning the proposed regulation changes. The dates and locations for these meetings will be announced Feb. 15 in a press release on the TPWD news release page.
Online: Once the proposed regulations are published in the Texas Register, comments on each component of the changes can be provided on the TPWD public comment page.
Phone or Email: Ken Kurzawski (512) 389-4591, email ken.kurzawski@tpwd.texas.gov.
In person: The TPW Commission will take public comment on the proposed changes at their meeting on Wednesday, March 20 in Austin. Public testimony will normally be limited to three minutes per person.
The commission will meet March 20 to vote on all changes to fishing and hunting regulations. Dates, agendas and transcripts can be found at https://tpwd.texas.gov/business/feedback/meetings/.

2019-02-07
Hot4huntin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2019, 06:36 PM   #36
txwhitetail
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven View Post
If they really cared about preserving the population, they wouldn't have changed the rules on Falcon. Falcon is slap full of gator gar, but the uproar from bass fishermen caused them to allow a 5 per person per day limit, the only place in Texas that isn't one a day. I don't understand how they can shut down the Trinity to protect "the greatest gar fishery in the state" when Falcon is arguably just as good or better, and they expanded the harvest there.
Because of the quantity shot on each.

All the gar guides at an uproar here should move to falcon where all the gar are!
txwhitetail is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2019, 09:03 PM   #37
bossbowman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bosque Cameron Grayson Hill McLennan Navarro Randall Val Verde Counties

They're making it a quasi-game fish, I mean you can't bow fish for game fish like bass. I really have no problem with the reg change. I saw where they are trying to make it legal to bow fish for catfish again next year too, I would be against that.

Last edited by bossbowman; 02-12-2019 at 09:10 PM.
bossbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2019, 10:39 PM   #38
Tx_Wader
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jackson County and Utopia

Quote:
I'd be willing to bet that if less large gar were caught/shot and left on the bank to rot, this wouldn't even be a conversation.
Yup. People have been doing that for years and the result is people getting pizzed off about it and then you get what's happening now.

Sometimes hunters and fishermen are their own worst enemy. Well the stupid ones anyway, not all of us.
Tx_Wader is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2019, 10:47 PM   #39
justicetx
Four Point

Quote:
So what about shooting coyotes and hogs with lights or even better thermal ? the poor things don't know anyone is even there and ready to shoot them, OMG, so bad
justicetx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2019, 09:36 AM   #40
mudkat
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossbowman View Post
They're making it a quasi-game fish, I mean you can't bow fish for game fish like bass. I really have no problem with the reg change. I saw where they are trying to make it legal to bow fish for catfish again next year too, I would be against that.
Can I ask what the reasons are you don't approve of taking catfish with a bow is ?
Old 02-13-2019, 11:27 AM   #41
BuckSmasher
Ten Point

Hunt In: All Over

Quote:
If you ever think you might want to bowfish for alligator gar in Texas, I urge you to contact dave.terre@tpwd.texas.gov and oppose these new regs. They are rapidly moving toward stopping all bowfishing for alligator gar. I realize that these regs don't completely shut it down, but it does severely curtail it, and this comes on the heals of other recent restrictions. They don't like bowfishing, period, and they will continue to move down this path unless they are stopped soon.
Saw an Alligator on the trinity with an arrow sticking out of it someone thought was a gar and shot. Would someone like you do that? Doubtful. But there are tons of idiots out there and regulations have to take them into account. Just like some 16 year olds could safely handle the responsibility of alcohol and lots of 40 year olds can not. Have to draw the line somewhere.
BuckSmasher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2019, 12:57 PM   #42
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckSmasher View Post
Saw an Alligator on the trinity with an arrow sticking out of it someone thought was a gar and shot. Would someone like you do that? Doubtful. But there are tons of idiots out there and regulations have to take them into account. Just like some 16 year olds could safely handle the responsibility of alcohol and lots of 40 year olds can not. Have to draw the line somewhere.
That gator could have been legally shot and broke off.
GarGuy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2019, 01:14 PM   #43
Philip-TX
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckSmasher View Post
I saw a deer with an arrow sticking out of its neck...….so....?
Philip-TX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2019, 03:11 PM   #44
bossbowman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bosque Cameron Grayson Hill McLennan Navarro Randall Val Verde Counties

Quote:
Can I ask what the reasons are you don't approve of taking catfish with a bow is ?
Catfish are a game fish, they legalize bowfishing for one gamefish what's to stop them going after others like red drum or largemouth?

Last edited by bossbowman; 02-13-2019 at 03:54 PM.
Old 02-13-2019, 03:42 PM   #45
mudkat
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossbowman View Post
Carfish are a game fish, they legalize bowfishing for one gamefish what's to stop them going after others like red drum or largemouth?
well they allow grabbing, trotlines, and jugline for catfish along with a 25 per day limit but they don't allow that for bass which are almost to the point of catch and release only ,people get a ton of grief when they take a few bass to eat from a lot of bass fishermen.
I don't get where bowfishing is not as sporting as these other styles of fishing, It takes a lot of skill to bowfish!
We (THEM!) get a lot of flack for not utilizing our take but guess what we are only allowed to shoot the so called trash fish that everyone has determined are not good to eat ( for good reason)
What is wrong with being allowed to take some fish home to cook up that are good eating ?
You Being a bowhunter should realize that shooting things with a bow takes skill and is very sporting!
Old 02-13-2019, 03:46 PM   #46
justletmein
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public lands

Quote:
Big difference unless you have a plan to catch & release bow-shot gar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUNTNETIME View Post
I'd be willing to bet that if less large gar were caught/shot and left on the bank to rot, this wouldn't even be a conversation. And don't tell me it doesn't happen. I've seen it with my own two eyes. I think gar are the javelina of the water world in many people's eyes.
This. Stop the wanton waste display and it wouldn't be an issue.
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2019, 03:56 PM   #47
bossbowman
Ten Point

Thumbs up

Quote:
I don't get where bowfishing is not as sporting as these other styles of fishing, It takes a lot of skill to bowfish!
We (THEM!) get a lot of flack for not utilizing our take but guess what we are only allowed to shoot the so called trash fish that everyone has determined are not good to eat ( for good reason)
What is wrong with being allowed to take some fish home to cook up that are good eating ?
You Being a bowhunter should realize that shooting things with a bow takes skill and is very sporting!
We're just gonna have to agree to disagree on this one bud.

Last edited by bossbowman; 02-13-2019 at 04:01 PM.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:06 PM   #48
donpablo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Iraan, Culberson County & Public Land
Question Is He a Liar or a Liberal?

So bow fishing for alligator gar should be stopped because (even though their numbers are currently in no danger) they might be some day. Sounds like they agree with banning imported polar bear trophies because global warming might cause them to be endangered some day.

Not to mention that it's ok for anglers to catch and release trophy gar even though most gar caught on a line have to swallow the hook and will probably die after release.
donpablo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2019, 04:21 PM   #49
Mike Murphey
Pope & Young

Take a look at the price per pound for gar vs catfish...gar is more than catfish....could the fish mongers be helping out kicking the bowhunters out of the way...?
Mike Murphey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2019, 04:33 PM   #50
ultrastealth
Ten Point

The measure of whether or not to ban or regulate the taking of fish and game used to be put to the litmus test of is the resource in decline and is the new regulation necessary at this time to prevent a decline due to factors already in play. That changed a few years ago with the adoption of the 1 fish over 25" for speckled trout, and it has progressed rapidly to other species since then. I'm disappointed in the number of people here who, by their own statements, have never bowfished for gar, yet think it's a good idea to outlaw it for no other reason than they don't do it. The same can be said for those who support keeping catfish off limits to bowfishing. They can't point to anything reasonable to support their position, and catfish certainly aren't overfished. The one person who said that this would lead to bowfishing for redfish and bass is just grasping, because both fish have a considerable fishing lobby who would never allow it. BTW, they do allow bowfishing for saltwater gamefish in Louisiana, and it has had absolutely no impact whatsoever.