Let's talk sidebar/stab mounts.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After shooting a couple of buddies bows with sidebars/stabs, I am seriously considering jumping off into getting one to help balance my bow a little more helping with torque and steadiness. I am strictly a blind hunter these days and I don't mind a little extra weight in my bow so I think it would suit me pretty well with the right setup. Several have recommended the BeeStinger side bar mount but that one little piece of metal is $90. I'll pay it if I need to but was hoping that there might be some alternatives that will do the same thing. The plan was to just run it in the hole on the backside of the lower riser. I don't think I really need a front and back stab mount in this case....just one for the rear. Secondly if there are others that are cheaper, tell my why the Bee Stinger is worth $90 and why I should chose it over cheaper alternatives.. I'm open to listening to the cost justification as well.

Thanks fellas.

Can you post a link to this sidebar your talking about?

I’m having neck issues and not able to hold my bow as steady as I used to, so looking for a little help.

Comment

If you have a tendency to "lean" one way or the other when at full draw, the back bar on a hunting set up may help maintain the level of your bow with little thought or attention to your bubble.

Buy used and that'll help you justify it. It's pretty easy to find used bars and the mounts on AT......that's how I afford buying for 2(me and son) on hunting and target rigs.

Comment

Originally posted by Texar View Post
        If you have a tendency to "lean" one way or the other when at full draw, the back bar on a hunting set up may help maintain the level of your bow with little thought or attention to your bubble.

Buy used and that'll help you justify it. It's pretty easy to find used bars and the mounts on AT......that's how I afford buying for 2(me and son) on hunting and target rigs.

I do....just a tad right and find myself correcting myself with my bubble. I'll buy used if I find them....mostly I am just looking for other brands and types for a start. .

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
          Can you post a link to this sidebar your talking about?

I’m having neck issues and not able to hold my bow as steady as I used to, so looking for a little help.

This is the mounting bracket.

this is the back/side stab on a hunting setup...not sure if it is the exact mount as they have several but you get the gist..

and another version..

Last edited by Smart; 05-14-2019, 06:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
            This is the mounting bracket.

this is the back/side stab on a hunting setup...not sure if it is the exact mount as they have several but you get the gist..

and another version..

Is it just the mount for $90 and you’re using a stabilizer you already have? I see they have a hunting side bar “system” but that’s around $250.

Comment

There are cheaper Bee Stinger Side Bar mounts. There is another one that runs for about $50 new. It just isn't as adjustable as the one you have the link to and no quick detach. I have used both and the Infinity is worth the price to me. I like the ability to adjust it anyway I like and the quick detach just makes it easier to get on and off.

Bowfinger makes some good mounts, but they won't be any cheaper. Maybe someone will have some cheaper priced options. Sorry no help there.

I don't know what bow you are shooting, but when I had a Halon 32 I ran an 8" Bee stinger off the back with 5-8 ounces and no bar on the front a lot like you mentioned. That bow was really top heavy and fell forward. That really helped balance it out. Honestly most bows built today will act better with a side bar as opposed to a front bar... if you have to choose one.
              Last edited by Miller; 05-14-2019, 07:00 PM.

Comment

They work at level or close to level great. From a tree or steep angles they actually work as a lever to torque worse! More so as you aim down.

But blind hunting your golden

Comment

I just picked this bracket up off amazon and have yet to put a bar on it but I’m heading that direction. This ain’t much help but I forgot the brand and the instructions were in Chinese. (Sorry Mr. Trump )It is quick release though. Think it cost around 50 bucks. I figure I’ll play with it and if it helps I’ll upgrade later.

Last edited by Stoof; 05-14-2019, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Check out wickstick stabilizers, that’s where I got mine and they walked me thru the options. Have them for hunting and target. End result, you just have to play with the angles on the rear one and how much weight you actually need. Don’t just buy a mount and screw two stabs on it, defeats the purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                      I do....just a tad right and find myself correcting myself with my bubble. I'll buy used if I find them....mostly I am just looking for other brands and types for a start. .
                      The QD mounts are usually the expensive part of the purchase....used bars for a hunting rig(12" on front, 6" on back) should be less than $50 though.

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
                        Is it just the mount for $90 and you’re using a stabilizer you already have? I see they have a hunting side bar “system” but that’s around $250.

yes....$89-99 for just the B-Stinger Infinite

Originally posted by Miller View Post
                        There are cheaper Bee Stinger Side Bar mounts. There is another one that runs for about $50 new. It just isn't as adjustable as the one you have the link to and no quick detach. I have used both and the Infinity is worth the price to me. I like the ability to adjust it anyway I like and the quick detach just makes it easier to get on and off.

Bowfinger makes some good mounts, but they won't be any cheaper. Maybe someone will have some cheaper priced options. Sorry no help there.

I don't know what bow you are shooting, but when I had a Halon 32 I ran an 8" Bee stinger off the back with 5-8 ounces and no bar on the front a lot like you mentioned. That bow was really top heavy and fell forward. That really helped balance it out. Honestly most bows built today will act better with a side bar as opposed to a front bar... if you have to choose one.

Was an Elite guy for 8 years but am jumping over to the new Mathews Traverse..which is I'm told a newer and improved version of the Halon 32. I saw that B-stinger mount you mentioned. Looks like it will adjust in and out but not up and down compared to the Infinite. That might work for $40.

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                        They work at level or close to level great. From a tree or steep angles they actually work as a lever to torque worse! More so as you aim down.

But blind hunting your golden

Good info Kyle...Thanks man....

Originally posted by Stoof View Post
                        I just picked this bracket up off amazon and have yet to put a bar on it but I’m heading that direction. This ain’t much help but I forgot the brand and the instructions were in Chinese. (Sorry Mr. Trump )It is quick release though. Think it cost around 50 bucks. I figure I’ll play with it and if it helps I’ll upgrade later.

Goof stuff. I ran across these on Ebay and Amazon and wondered how they were quality wise. I'm all for saving a buck..lol. Do they slip any? Pretty solid? Thanks for sharing that..I'll need the quick release myself since I put it in a hard case to and from the lease..

Originally posted by pure lefty View Post
                        Check out wickstick stabilizers, that’s where I got mine and they walked me thru the options. Have them for hunting and target. End result, you just have to play with the angles on the rear one and how much weight you actually need. Don’t just buy a mount and screw two stabs on it, defeats the purpose.

I will be doing this with different weights at CCR....I am just researching mounts.

Originally posted by Texar View Post
                        The QD mounts are usually the expensive part of the purchase....used bars for a hunting rig(12" on front, 6" on back) should be less than $50 though.

Yess sir....finding this out .... I already have a 8" B-Stinger from Elite (almost 10" with the quick connect.....not sure if I'll even have to use one out front with my SniperHawg light adding some weight to the front. Probably going to start out with my light up front and a 6" side and test out different weights to see if I can make it work.
                        Last edited by Smart; 05-15-2019, 07:40 AM.

Comment

Side/back bars are great when used and set up correctly, and there are cheaper options, but...

Get what you want, chances are it will last you a lifetime, used is a good option, but there are a LOT of stabilizer rod manufacturer's out there right now.

A good, less expensive alternative it Cartel rods, well made and pretty inexpensive. They also make pretty good connectors.

Cartel options

Cartel side rods

Cartel connector

A few things to remember, side bars are not to correct a leaning bow, they are to put bias in the system to help you hold steadier. IOW, to give you something to hold against, slightly. If you have a slight cant at full draw you will be better served by figuring out what it is in your form that is causing the condition and correct that. Using a side bar to correct a cant is just covering a symptom (and will work to some degree), but you really need to root out the cause and make the correction.

And I want to expound on Low Fence's comment a little. As long as the grip pressure is the same the bow will hold the same, the moment of inertia is a little different which may cause the bow to want to settle in higher (in the webbing) or lower (in the heel) in the grip, but if you keep the grip pressure the same the shot is the same. After the shot, the bow will react different, but the same can be said of a bow with no side bar; it is just more pronounced.

Get the weight right. Start out with the front bar and get that weight right, use the sight picture to determine the right weight; add weight until the sight picture is as stable as possible.

Then add the side bar and weights, start at 3 to 1. IOW, if you have 2 oz on the front, start with 6 oz on the back and add or remove weight until you get the most stable sight picture. The weight will change with the length of the rod, so longer is better if you want to use less weight. For example, a 10" rod may only need 5 oz where an 8" rod may need 8 oz.

Also, try switching sides; as I said before, the back rod is not to offset the weight of the sights or the quiver, it is just to add bias. Some people shoot better with that bias on the 'wrong' side of the bow; it can't hurt to try.

My choice is Doinker, they cost a little more, but I have had them for years without a single failure.

Comment

No issues with the "Mr. Lin" Slipping at all. It locks up tight.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoof View Post
                              No issues with the "Mr. Lin" Slipping at all. It locks up tight.

Thanks Stoof....they are a heckuva price on Amazon.

Comment

Working...
                              X